• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Barmy Army

Jdz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Packed out Gabba and the atmosphere is as dead as a test match. I don't mind the 'Barmy Army', I encourage them to be honest.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Jdz said:
Packed out Gabba and the atmosphere is as dead as a test match. I don't mind the 'Barmy Army', I encourage them to be honest.
If this is an ODI, that might explain why England are getting destroyed.

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
BoyBrumby said:
In the coverage I heard right at the end there was an obviously refreshed punter who kept yelling, "Freddie doesn't like you, Stephen." after Harmy wasn't given the new cherry.
I heard that on the first days play, I think he was shouting at just about every bowler though.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Haha, good to see the UK isn't the only killyjoy nanny state nation in the world.. Heard the fellow nearly got arrested for being "in possesion of a trumpet"

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Any chance they can come over here and police the England Football games?

Get rid of that god-awful band.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
Haha, good to see the UK isn't the only killyjoy nanny state nation in the world.. Heard the fellow nearly got arrested for being "in possesion of a trumpet"
I imagine that's a joke on the part of the person writing the quotes column on cricinfo, actually. It's not illegal to have a trumpet, even in Queensland. He may however have been threatened with being arrested for refusing to leave the ground when asked. :p

BoyBrumby

Englishman
superkingdave said:
The guy with the trumpet is getting a bit over the top over it imo. He wasn't allowed to take it in to the grounds this summer in England. (i think part of the reason for the ban on musical instruments over here is the proliferation of air horns last time Pakistan toured - though the official reason was safety)

Much better would be if they designated a certain area/stand where musical instruments were allowed.
I agree. It's been all over the meedja & it's being presented like an attempt to undermine our British way of life! QLD police gaffer said on Sky there's been a long standing ban on musical instruments & the trumpeter (by his own admission) actually was warned before being ejected. He said he'd been told it was no go in the morning session, had another crack in the afternoon so, IMHO, deserves what he got.

I'm pretty ambivalent (at best) to musical instruments at sports grounds anyway. Our England band who constantly played The Great Es-fugging-cape at football matches were a national embarrassment.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think the Barmy Army are amusing, it adds a whole new atmosphere to the cricket and makes it sound like a soccer stadium. Besides they are loud and like to have a good time but it's not often that they cause any serious trouble, quite good when they start singing You All Live in a Convict Colony.

Son Of Coco

steds said:
No instruments allowed. No mexican wave. No singing no dancing no beachballs NO FUN. This is why so many people I know don't like cricket. People go to a sporting event to be entertained, and as cricket is such a slow moving game, much of the time people have to make their own entertainment. "Oh, let's watch Steve Harmison trudge 30 yards back to the end of his runup. That's fun."
Yes, so one bloke once punched an old lady instead of a beachball. So what? That's one random idiot and it's his fault, not the rest of the crowd's. People get hit by cricket balls when sixes come their way occasionally. Should they play with a sponge ball for health and safety reasons instead? Yes, those ****ing plastic horns are annoying, but this guy didn't have a ****ing plastic horn.
Seriously, Australia should stop being so gay.
I think you're misunderstanding the problem here. The guy missing the ball and punching the grandma wasn't that serious an offence...it was the fact that she landed over the fence and was set upon by security whom immediately deflated her that caused the matter to escalate.

Craig

World Traveller
superkingdave said:
The guy with the trumpet is getting a bit over the top over it imo. He wasn't allowed to take it in to the grounds this summer in England. (i think part of the reason for the ban on musical instruments over here is the proliferation of air horns last time Pakistan toured - though the official reason was safety)

Much better would be if they designated a certain area/stand where musical instruments were allowed.
They do that in PE.

I liked the music from the band playing while a fast bowler is running in. Especially if nothing is happening.

Craig

World Traveller
steds said:
No instruments allowed. No mexican wave. No singing no dancing no beachballs NO FUN. This is why so many people I know don't like cricket. People go to a sporting event to be entertained, and as cricket is such a slow moving game, much of the time people have to make their own entertainment. "Oh, let's watch Steve Harmison trudge 30 yards back to the end of his runup. That's fun."
Yes, so one bloke once punched an old lady instead of a beachball. So what? That's one random idiot and it's his fault, not the rest of the crowd's. People get hit by cricket balls when sixes come their way occasionally. Should they play with a sponge ball for health and safety reasons instead? Yes, those ****ing plastic horns are annoying, but this guy didn't have a ****ing plastic horn.
We had a thread for such rants.

Quality one too.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Craig said:
They do that in PE.

I liked the music from the band playing while a fast bowler is running in. Especially if nothing is happening.
Yeah, they also tried to ban them, but they are back by popular demand thank goodness..

They are also a proper band, as opposed to a few beer swilling louts with a trumpet..

Craig

World Traveller
Apparently so is this guy (Billy Cooper) for the Barmy Army is a fully fledged musician.

Son Of Coco

superkingdave said:

We have an area for that over here, it's called 'The Sydney Opera House'.

pasag

RTDAS
steds said:
Gun rant.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Craig said:
Apparently so is this guy (Billy Cooper) for the Barmy Army is a fully fledged musician.
I heard he played for the London Philharmonic, thought that might have been a journo talking out of their backside.

valvolux

Cricket Spectator
Let's be honest - you can only get so much "barmy army...barmy army...barmy army...repeat 1000x" before you get really annoyed. There isn't great variety, and quite frankly there's a distinct lack of nice looking women amongst them to at least please the eyes. As they are scattered about their trumpet player is no doubt honking in the ears of people who'd care not to listen to the same 2 tunes all day long. Threatening to boycott the tour though? Hey, at least we're letting them in the grounds....picking up your bat and ball and going home is a bit weak.

Son Of Coco

Matt79 said:
I heard he played for the London Philharmonic, thought that might have been a journo talking out of their backside.
I think it might have been "He plays the harmonica with a homeless bloke in London called 'Phil'" :happy: