• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The balls of the century

ImpatientLime

International Regular
You look at some of this stuff from Flintoff and wonder why didn't he pick 350 wickets at 27 or less. He would have legitimately been counted among the greatest all-rounders ever if he could summon his bowling excellence just a bit more often.
he's an interesting one because when he bowled a real full length he was absolutely lethal.

however most of his career was spent bowling back of a length stuff cause he was so hard to get away with the awkward bounce he generated. i still don't know if that was an instruction from his captains or just his 'natural length'.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
He bowled one to Thorpe in the same Test and innings (?) I think. It was equally as good, just Thorpe didn't look as ridiculous as Read.

This might be a Test thread, but Kemar Roach's ball to Shane Watson, first ball of the 2009 Champs Trophy match, is worth a mention. Just all levels of epic. It's first ball of the game, for a start. Roach false starts his first run up, then bowls a wickedly rapid in ducking yorker that knocks Watson's off pole out, and Watson stands there like it's not fair and he may even be considering reviewing it.

I had forgotten about that. Ian Chappell on commentary was also stunned.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I will read through the thread in full later but has Anderson to Manou at Edgbaston09 been mentioned?

srbhkshk

International Captain
He could swing it but he was barely useless+ when the pitch didn't have movement, then they tried to make him a batting all rounder which took away whatever good was there in his bowling. A 10kmph slower Mohammad Amir basically.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He could swing it but he was barely useless+ when the pitch didn't have movement, then they tried to make him a batting all rounder which took away whatever good was there in his bowling. A 10kmph slower Mohammad Amir basically.
They also tried to increase his pace iirc. It worked but he lost the movement and got injured.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Funnily enough Karachi showcased both the best and worst of Irfan, bowled like a dream in the first innings when there was some life in the pitch and then bowled absolute garbage (not that our other bowlers did any better) in the second once it eased out. Asif really showed how much superior he was to any other bowler playing in that match in the second innings, getting Laxman and Tendulkar quickly to basically win the match.