• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The balls of the century

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That 2013 Johannesburg game is one of my favourite Test matches though, amazing stuff.

OverratedSanity

We didn't talk about #17.

I did before it even made the list

cracks/footmarks shouldn't count imo
You mean Starc to Vince wasnt the best ball over bowled?!
Probably the most overrated delivery in ages. Im convinced it was another one of those leg side wides from Starc that just happened to hit a massive crack. The thing was going 3 feet down leg.

srbhkshk

International Captain

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I did before it even made the list

Probably the most overrated delivery in ages. Im convinced it was another one of those leg side wides from Starc that just happened to hit a massive crack. The thing was going 3 feet down leg.
I get what you're saying and half agree with you. But at the same time Starc said he was trying to hit the cracks so I'm inclined to believe it was a combination of a lot of luck and a bit of skill and planning.

I thin we can all agree that it looked bloody impressive though.

Daemon

I get what you're saying and half agree with you. But at the same time Starc said he was trying to hit the cracks so I'm inclined to believe it was a combination of a lot of luck and a bit of skill and planning.

I thin we can all agree that it looked bloody impressive though.

"Admittedly I probably wasn't aiming for that crack, because it was a little too straight if it moves [into the right-hander], but yeah, there was a little bit of luck, and fortunately it hit the stumps."

Did he go wider on the crease on purpose, to create a challenging angle?

"No, I always bowl pretty wide on the crease from around the wicket. That wasn't a plan to go any wider."

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
"Admittedly I probably wasn't aiming for that crack, because it was a little too straight if it moves [into the right-hander], but yeah, there was a little bit of luck, and fortunately it hit the stumps."

"No, I always bowl pretty wide on the crease from around the wicket. That wasn't a plan to go any wider."
Fair enough. Still a ***y wicket though.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member

Did you make this up, like your spreadsheets?

srbhkshk

International Captain
Man, that looks horrible. Really shows the kind of danger a batsman is always in even when wearing a helmet.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
You look at some of this stuff from Flintoff and wonder why didn't he pick 350 wickets at 27 or less. He would have legitimately been counted among the greatest all-rounders ever if he could summon his bowling excellence just a bit more often.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
You look at some of this stuff from Flintoff and wonder why didn't he pick 350 wickets at 27 or less. He would have legitimately be counted among the greatest all-rounders ever if he could summon his bowling excellence just a bit more often.
His knees were pretty much entirely cream cheese by age 29