• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
The only real weird pick in that XI is Barry Richards. How exactly does one pick someone who has played a sum total of 4 tests ahead of a lot more deserving candidates is beyond my understanding.

A very good team otherwise.
Cos they played with and against him and know how good he was

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Cos they played with and against him and know how good he was
Not debating how good he was, but players should only be rated on how they did in tests imo. Barry Richards is a clear case of what could have been. Hutton or Gavaskar should walk into that XI.

If we pick players based on first class cricket, Mike Procter should be among the first ones picked here. And that would be unfair to Imran or Hadlee if he replaces them.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Not debating how good he was, but players should only be rated on how they did in tests imo. Barry Richards is a clear case of what could have been. Hutton or Gavaskar should walk into that XI.

If we pick players based on first class cricket, Mike Procter should be among the first ones picked here. And that would be unfair to Imran or Hadlee if he replaces them.
But that's the beauty of ex-players naming their ATG teams. They aren't judging purely on stats and performances in tests. Their selections are often based on personal experiences. Experiences that you and I sadly lack.

aussie tragic

International Captain
But that's the beauty of ex-players naming their ATG teams. They aren't judging purely on stats and performances in tests. Their selections are often based on personal experiences. Experiences that you and I sadly lack.
Yeah but pretty sure he didn't play against, Hobbs, Bradman, Sobers, Sangakarra, Warne, McGrath or Barry Richards (in tests), so what's your point again?

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wtf is wrong with Michael Bevan's ears? Why the **** are they so pointy? He looks like he's about to go surf down helms deep's stairway again.

1602678049087.png

h_hurricane

Chinaman bowler, Chinaman ears

Edit: I only meant this in cricketing context. Apologies if there is any misunderstanding.

Last edited:

h_hurricane

On a side note, has any cricketer averaged 50+ with the bat in ODIs, List A and first class and less than 25 with the ball in tests.

Bevan is the only one I can think of.

bagapath

International Captain
Deryck Murray's XI ( from Richard Sydenham's book)

1) Sunil Gavaskar
Technically sound in defence with a full array of attacking strokes.
2) Conrad Hunte
Could curb his attacking instincts to suit the team’s needs.
3) Donald Bradman
His record speaks for itself.
4) George Headley
Known as the ‘Black Bradman’, although West Indians referred to Bradman as the ‘White Headley’.
5) Garfield Sobers
The greatest cricketer ever.
6) Frank Worrell
The greatest captain of all time and not a bad player either.
7) Wally Grout
The best wicketkeeper that I have ever seen.
8) Andy Roberts
Together with Dennis Lillee he transformed fast bowling to include the subtlety and guile previously only associated with spin bowling.
9) Shane Warne
Took bowling to another level.
10) Dennis Lillee (See Roberts.)
11) Lance Gibbs

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has

Who says Willis' criteria has to be test performance?

He would have played plenty against Richards in county I think. And he bowled against Gavaskar. If he thinks Richards was a better batsman, he's every right to put him in an XI.

This isn't dudes on the internet trying to say Procter over Hadlee or Richards over Gavaskar. This is guys who played elite cricket with and against them.

AndrewB

First time I've ever seen the selected #7 batting so low...weird

(Sobers batted at 7 a few more times in Tests, but in the ones linked above it's clearly his intended batting position, rather than the result of using a nightwatchman).

TheJediBrah

Wtf is wrong with Michael Bevan's ears? Why the **** are they so pointy? He looks like he's about to go surf down helms deep's stairway again.
It's clearly because of the hat he's wearing but ok.
If you're going to make fun of a Bevan physical attribute I'd go with the teeth personally.

Chinaman bowler, Chinaman ears
lmfao I feel like this might be offensive if I could make any sense of it

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah but pretty sure he didn't play against, Hobbs, Bradman, Sobers, Sangakarra, Warne, McGrath or Barry Richards (in tests), so what's your point again?
The point is that certain players (Hobbs, Bradman, Sobers) are so outstanding, they are automatic selections in any ATG team. When I refer to players' experiences, I'm not just referring to the experience of playing against others in Tests. As a player and then a commentator, Willis would have had plenty of first hand experiences observing those other players you name.

h_hurricane

lmfao I feel like this might be offensive if I could make any sense of it
I already edited it mentioning I didn't mean that. In fact, I didn't even know it could be offensive until Smali pointed it out and I looked up the internet. Have heard plenty of commentators mention that word though whenever a bowler of similar style came up to bowl.

Burgey

Maybe because he averaged 17 the only time he faced a full strength attack here? Boycott was marginally better. Both horrible blokes, obviously.

Odd he wouldn't put Len Hutton in to open with Hobbs tbh. He's probably the glaring omission in Willis' XI. Sobers at seven is almost trolling. Imagine him walking out at 5/350 or so.