• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Azhar was basically VVS (hyderabadi middle order bat with the best wrists in the world, similar averages, both aesthetically almost unmatched) except without the ability to play really clutch match winning innings from dire situations.
He had a Sehwag like gear to him though to score at an insane pace - albeit not anywhere near as consistently, and also far more flawed technically (like Sehwag, unlike VVS).

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
NZ, all time, tests:

1) Glenn Turner /
2) Bert Sutcliffe /
3) Kane Williamson / pt
4) Martin Crowe / pt
5) Ross Taylor /
6) John R Reid* / (5)
7) BJ Watling / +
8) Chris Cairns (3) /
9) Richard Hadlee (1) /
10) Neil Wagner (4)
11) Jack Cowie (2)

#batdeep
I'd have a similar team except Vettori in for Reid (with Vettori batting 9 and everyone else moving up one spot). With the additional bowling depth I'd also have Bond in for Cowie

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah don't think you can put sanga as a keeper at 6, his batting stats as a keeper are ****e. Better off just putting sobers at 6 and having flower/gilly keep.

aussie tragic

International Captain
they're really not though. An average of 40 from 48 tests as keeper still makes him one of the best keeper-bats ever
But not good enough as keeper batsman to bat ahead of Sobers. Sober at 6 and Gilchrist at 7 would be much better (actually Sobers should bat ahead of Kallis in this XI as well)

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Its one of the better XIs I have seen from ex-players (which tend to be ****e), even if I disagree with a bunch of the picks. I actually like this side as much as the odd side I see from forum regulars, which is rare.

I dont actually think Sanga would be too bad a pick *if* you were picking Murali instead of Warne. With Warne (who I admit is a reasonable pick despite my Murali man crush) it is idiocy not picking Gilchrist.

Not picking Hadlee is, as always, unforgivable. But if any side can do without him, it is this one.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I disagree. You'd pick loads of other pure batsmen ahead of him normally.
Sanga is underrated on here. He's the Hayden of the middle order - people find reasons to underrate him despite his monstrous accomplishments because he didn't start as strongly as others.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
The only real weird pick in that XI is Barry Richards. How exactly does one pick someone who has played a sum total of 4 tests ahead of a lot more deserving candidates is beyond my understanding.

A very good team otherwise.

Himannv

International Coach
Sanga is underrated on here. He's the Hayden of the middle order - people find reasons to underrate him despite his monstrous accomplishments because he didn't start as strongly as others.
I think the opposite is true and he's actually overrated by most. :laugh:

Himannv

International Coach
The only real weird pick in that XI is Barry Richards. How exactly does one pick someone who has played a sum total of 4 tests ahead of a lot more deserving candidates is beyond my understanding.

A very good team otherwise.
I think there are better candidates, but not many. In the few full games I've watched of him, he seemed really dominant. For a while I thought it was perhaps the poor quality of bowling, but then he played Lillee the same way.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I disagree. You'd pick loads of other pure batsmen ahead of him normally.
I agree mostly. Sanga won't be in my consideration but wouldn't mind if someone else picks him. His record in SENA is bit ordinary (though not bad at all) for him to be a consideration in all time world XI.