• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How are you setting cutoff for longevity?
Just threw an XI together with some players who've had really long careers. Rhodes in for Gavaskar. Hadlee in for Anderson for team balance reasons.

Grace
Rhodes
Bradman
Tendulkar
Border (c)
Kallis
Boucher (w/k)
Hadlee
Murali
McGrath
Walsh

smash84

The Tiger King
Just threw an XI together with some players who've had really long careers. Rhodes in for Gavaskar. Hadlee in for Anderson for team balance reasons.

Grace
Rhodes
Bradman
Tendulkar
Border (c)
Kallis
Boucher (w/k)
Hadlee
Murali
McGrath
Walsh
I believe in terms of the number of years Imran had a career longer than anybody in that team bar Tendulkar and Rhodes

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Chanderpaul's still playing and he started in 1991/92.
Chanders a good shout but who does he replace?

Maybe Kallis, but Kallis is in there as an all rounder and he had 18 years under his belt in test match cricket.

What I really wanted the CW brains trust to do is find me a keeper to replace Boucher, who had 15 years of tests.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
W.Rhodes (30yrs)
J.Hobbs (22yrs)
G.Headley (24yrs)
S.Tendulkar (24yrs)
F.Woolley (25yrs)
G.Sobers (20yrs)
A.Faulkner (18yrs)
G.Allen (17yrs)
I.Khan (20yrs) *
D.Murray (17yrs) +
R.Hadlee (17yrs)

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
I think for a wicket-keeper with a longer Test career than Deryck Murray you have to go back to the very first Test and Jack Blackham (1877-1894), and even then it's only about 6 months longer.

I tend to think that Gubby Allen's "17 year career" is a bit of a con - he played fairly regularly for 7 years, then was brought back a decade later to captain a rather second-rate England team in the West Indies. Headley's and Faulkner's career lengths are also a bit artificial (so are Rhodes's and Woolley's, but theirs lasted over 20 years anyway).

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Headley's is a very artificially long career for sure. His actual career was 9 years long from 1930-39. After the war he played only 3 tests from 1945-54.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Headley's is a very artificially long career for sure. His actual career was 9 years long from 1930-39. After the war he played only 3 tests from 1945-54.
I suppose if you include actual tests as part of his actual career his career is actually long....

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
W.Rhodes (30yrs)
J.Hobbs (22yrs)
G.Headley (24yrs)
S.Tendulkar (24yrs)
F.Woolley (25yrs)
G.Sobers (20yrs)
A.Faulkner (18yrs)
G.Allen (17yrs)
I.Khan (20yrs) *
D.Murray (17yrs) +
R.Hadlee (17yrs)
With an almost 18 year long career Murali should find a place. What is Gubby Allen there for?

bagapath

International Captain
All time underrated XI

Justin Langer
Gary Kirsten
Ken Barrington
Inzamam Ul Haq
Michael Clarke (c)
Tony Grieg
Mark Boucher (wk)
Shaun Pollock
Alan Davidson
Ryan Harris
Chandra

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Anil Kumble better suited than Chandra. Lot of old timers wax lyrical about Chandra. Kumble is forgotten like he never played test cricket.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Barrington's a tricky one - his average of nearly 60 in the 1960s, when only Sobers was at the same level* and the other top batsmen of the decade* (Simpson, Dexter, Graveney, Cowdrey, Lawry) averaged around 50 suggests he should be thought of as an all-time great, and so is underrated.

OTOH, he does tend to get mentioned when people pick their all-time England XI these days, whereas in the late 80s I had the impression that the cricket writers old enough to have watched cricket since the 50s (if not earlier) wouldn't have considered putting him ahead of Hammond, May or Compton, and quite often rated him below Dexter, Cowdrey and (Bill) Edrich - they would probably say that he's now overrated by people who only know his average, and didn't have to watch him taking 7 hours to score 137 against NZ.

From vague memories of reading an article by Barrington, he reckoned he adapted his technique better for overseas pitches than most of his team-mates (his average in away Tests was nearly 70 - Dexter and Cowdrey were still around 50, and May and Graveney were in the 30s), which perhaps made his success less noticeable to the UK cricket watchers of the time.

*To be strictly accurate, Pollock (another ATG) and Walters had similar/better averages in about 20 Tests, but Walters didn't sustain this level and Pollock's career was of course cut short.