• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
My Top 10 openers:
Grace
Hobbs
Gavaskar
Hutton
Sutcliffe
Trumper
B Richards
Boycott
Greenidge
Smith
Top 10 openers in my books...

Hobbs
Hutton
Gavaskar
Sutcliffe
Greenidge
Trumper
Smith
Boycott
Hayden
Sehwag

**Leaving WG Grace out because he didn't play enough test cricket. he could be the no.1 choice otherwise
Simpson is a better cricketer than most on these lists when bowling, slip catching, and captaincy are considered. He also averaged 55.5 as an opener.

JBMAC

State Captain
Top 16 Batsman
Bradman

Tendulkar
Sobers
Hobbs

Richards
Smith
Lara
Hutton

Gavaskar
Ponting
Hammond
Chappell

Kallis
Sangakkara
Headley
Sutcliffe

Top 14 bowlers
Marshall
McGrath
Hadlee

Steyn
Warne
Muralitharan
Ambrose

Imran
Donald
Lillee
O'Reilly

Wasim
Trueman
Garner

Top 12 Slip fielders
Hammond
Simpson
Sobers
Chappell
Taylor
Waugh
Ponting
Richardson
Hooper
Kallis

Jayawardene
Dravid

Top 10 all rounders
Sobers
Imran
Gilchrist
Kallis
Miller
Botham
Hadlee
Pollock
Jadeja
Kapil

Top 8 Captains
Benaud
Ranatunga
Taylor
Flemming

Worrell
Jardine
Lloyd
Imran

All Time XI & Squad

Sir Jack Hobbs
Graeme Smith^*
Sir Donald Bradman
Sir. I. V. A. Richards^
Sachin Tendulkar
Sir Garfield Sobers^(5)
Adam Gilchrist +
Malcolm Marshall (1)
Shane Warne (4)
Dale Steyn (3)
Glenn McGrath (2)

Sir Leonard Hutton
Steve Smith
Sir Richard Hadlee
Muttiah Muralitharan

Injured reserves
Imran Khan
Jacques Kallis / Brian Lara
Allan Knott

Top 25 cricketers of All Time

Tier 1
Bradman / Sobers / Marshall / Hobbs / Hadlee / McGrath / Tendulkar

Tier 2
Richards / Steyn / Warne / Imran / Muralitharan / Smith / Lara / Hammond / Hutton / Kallis / Gilchrist / Gavaskar / Ambrose / O'Reilly / Headley / Ponting (or Chappell) / Wasim / Sutcliffe.
Really surprised at Colin Cowdrey not being in the top "Slippers". Was one of the best I have ever seen and believe(stand to be corrected) Greg Chappell took the mantle f

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
His record isn't perfect and he's not Kallis, but he's a decent option who thrived in more "normal" conditions. The older guys neither faced the conditions nor the level of competition.

Regardless of who's in the position, it's the weakest on the team, especially for what I'm looking for. So until Jaiswal get's there, 😂
I mean, it's definitely your team; but even Kallis isn't making that; and that too after factoring his bowling and slip fielding..... Hutton and Gavaskar you could argue didn't constantly faced such home conditions; but I believe they faced better bowlers overall. I get that he brings a left arm-right arm combination as an opener and is more aggressive than the ones better than him..... But is it worth it?

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean, it's definitely your team; but even Kallis isn't making that; and that too after factoring his bowling and slip fielding..... Hutton and Gavaskar you could argue didn't constantly faced such home conditions; but I believe they faced better bowlers overall. I get that he brings a left arm-right arm combination as an opener and is more aggressive than the ones better than him..... But is it worth it?
Someone mentioned it and I'll have to look it up to verify, but Sunny apparently averaged below 40 in every country away from home from 1980. He plundered the bad WI bowling of the 70's and everywhere during WSC.
Not saying he wasn't a bona fide AT great, just saying the better bowling thing wasn't as great as it sounds.

With regards to the pitches, when Sunny toured us while we possessed even the slightest semblance of a decent pace atatck , the only pitches he scored runs on was Port of Spain and Bourda, one spinning track and one absolutely dead one.

Transpose the two and we can speculate how their careers would have differed. Look at his scores at Kensington or Sabina.

All I'm saying is that openers, like spinners haven't had the greatest abundance of great performers post war, but while the spinner's stockpile has managed to push out two great spinners, since the fast guys took over in the 80's there's been a paucity of great openers. Possibly there's a correlation.

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
Someone mentioned it and I'll have to look it up to verify, but Sunny apparently averaged below 40 in every country away from home from 1980. He plundered the bad WI bowling of the 70's and everywhere during WSC.
Not saying he wasn't a bona fide AT great, just saying the better bowling thing wasn't as great as it sounds.

With regards to the pitches, when Sunny toured us while we possessed even the slightest semblance of a decent pace atatck , the only pitches he scored runs on was Port of Spain and Bourda, one spinning track and one absolutely dead one.

Transpose the two and we can speculate how their careers would have differed. Look at his scores at Kensington or Sabina.

All I'm saying is that openers, like spinners haven't had the greatest abundance of great performers post war, but while the spinner's stockpile has managed to push out two great spinners, since the fast guys took over in the 80's there's been a paucity of great openers. Possibly there's a correlation.
You don't count his first tour; let's remove that from the equation. In his is last tour he really struggled, only scored one notable knock; no point there. In his 2nd tour, he played 2 Tests in Port of Spain and 1 in Bourda; he scored a 66 in Kingston. I don't think it's really fair the way you paint his record in WI. He was absolutely amazing in his 2nd series; not as much as the first one, but he scored plenty against Holding and Roberts. And he did scored against the quartet in home; in what were not necessarily spin friendly pitches, when most others didn't.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Really surprised at Colin Cowdrey not being in the top "Slippers". Was one of the best I have ever seen and believe(stand to be corrected) Greg Chappell took the mantle f
He's definitely on the extended list, but none of the 10 chosen were anything less than brilliant.
Of the lesser revered names on the list, Hooper was in everyway the equal of Waugh, Richardson the best 3rd slip fielder I've ever seen. Look back at any bowling compilation from '84 onwards featuring the WI and you can't imagine what he was routinely pulling off.

Hammond, Simpson, Sobers were from multiple sources the epitome of brilliance in the cordon and definitely part of any top tier, multiple articles I've read with Sobers being directly compared to the other two as equals, I've also seen enough of him to believe it to be true. Chappell you yourself mentioned, Taylor was automatic, especially to Warne. Waugh and Ponting were special, Waugh probably being the best of the modern era, and made life so much easier for McGrath and co. Kallis wasn't the most spectacular (as with his batting), but got to everything and was better in the cordon than he was a bowler and just as impactful.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
You don't count his first tour; let's remove that from the equation. In his is last tour he really struggled, only scored one notable knock; no point there. In his 2nd tour, he played 2 Tests in Port of Spain and 1 in Bourda; he scored a 66 in Kingston. I don't think it's really fair the way you paint his record in WI. He was absolutely amazing in his 2nd series; not as much as the first one, but he scored plenty against Holding and Roberts. And he did scored against the quartet in home; in what were not necessarily spin friendly pitches, when most others didn't.
I specifically prefaced by saying he was great, I'm saying having SA as a home pitch is a different test, and from his record I'm not sure how he would have fared. Sunny preferred, much preferred slower pitches and legitimately struggled in the quicker ones. That doesn't take away from his legacy, it just helps to frame the comparison. He was definitely ahead of Smith, just not as far so as some believe.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I specifically prefaced by saying he was great, I'm saying having SA as a home pitch is a different test, and from his record I'm not sure how he would have fared. Sunny preferred, much preferred slower pitches and legitimately struggled in the quicker ones. That doesn't take away from his legacy, it just helps to frame the comparison. He was definitely ahead of Smith, just not as far so as some believe.
I’d say he’s closer to the others ahead of him.

I have the big 4 openers at 2, 8, 9 and 11. Next one would probably be at ~25 at best tbh.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I’d say he’s closer to the others ahead of him.

I have the big 4 openers at 2, 8, 9 and 11. Next one would probably be at ~25 at best tbh.
Of the ones ahead of him, the only one who even remotely came close to facing modern conditions and attacks was Hutton. But I know that means more to me than you.

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
Of the ones ahead of him, the only one who even remotely came close to facing modern conditions and attacks was Hutton. But I know that means more to me than you.
Gavaskar??

Anyways, my Rankings to be precise for openers:
Grace - 2
Hobbs - 3
Gavaskar - 8
Hutton - 10
Sutcliffe - 14
Trumper (though mostly as MOB) - 16
Barry Richards - 28
Boycott - 37
Graeme Smith - 41
Simpson - 43
Greenidge - 47
Hayden - 49
Shrewsbury - 50
Arthur Morris - 55
Mitchell - 56
Lawry - 57
Sehwag - 59
Cook - 60
Ponsford - 64
Merchant - 67
Gooch - 68
Hanif - 72
Hunte- 74
Kirsten - 76
Turner- 85
Woodfull - 90
Maclaren - 94
Amiss- 95
Fredericks- 98

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Graeme Smith really underperformed on his difficult home pitches even relative to other SA batsmen, He averaged 34 against competent bowling attacks at home and scored heavily in some really flat conditions away from home. I rate him highly but putting him anywhere near the top 4 openers is not really going to be justified even with some real selective stat digging. He was great, but elevating him to that status is really pushing it.

Hobbs/Hutton/Gavaskar/Sutcliffe are a level above the rest of the openers quite clearly imo. There's a pretty sizeable gap between them and whoever is 5th.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Graeme Smith really underperformed on his difficult home pitches even relative to other SA batsmen, He averaged 34 against competent bowling attacks at home and scored heavily in some really flat conditions away from home. I rate him highly but putting him anywhere near the top 4 openers is not really going to be justified even with some real selective stat digging. He was great, but elevating him to that status is really pushing it.

Hobbs/Hutton/Gavaskar/Sutcliffe are a level above the rest of the openers quite clearly imo. There's a pretty sizeable gap between them and whoever is 5th.
I don't dispute this, my argument is who did Hobbs or Sutcliffe face that was even comparable to that Australian unit, and did they ever see pitches like the ones he played on at home. Even Gavaskar didn't perform that well in those types of pitches, and for the vast majority of his career Hutton batted on pancakes, with limited pace opposition.

Yes they are better, also saying that what they faced were worlds apart.

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
I don't dispute this, my argument is who did Hobbs or Sutcliffe face that was even comparable to that Australian unit, and did they ever see pitches like the ones he played on at home. Even Gavaskar didn't perform that well in those types of pitches, and for the vast majority of his career Hutton batted on pancakes, with limited pace opposition.

Yes they are better, also saying that what they faced were worlds apart.
Now that's an exaggeration if one ever existed. Hobbs played in some of the worst eras for batsmen in Test cricket; pre War the mean average was just over 25. Be it sticky dogs at home, honey pot wickets in Australia or the infamous matted wickets in South Africa. He was head and shoulders above his peers. Hutton faced an attack of Lindwall, Miller, Johnston and Toshack and WI early spinners. And Gavaskar by far has faced better bowlers and overall succeeded. 2000s was a relatively easy batting patch with flatter wickets and a drop in overall bowling quality. And while SA was tough to bat on; 34 isn't just enough imo.