• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

howitzer

State Vice-Captain
How ?
What is your NZ bowling attack?
I normally have Cairns, Hadlee, Vettori, Wagner and one of Cowie or Boult. Think this is better than SL's which struggles a lot more past Murali, Vaas and Herath. Where NZ have really pulled things back in the last 10-15 years is the 3-5. Williamson is weaker than Sanga but I don't think it's by that much. I actually have Crowe some way ahead of Jayawardene despite the difference in overall average. De Silva is better than Taylor but overall the margin the SL middle has over NZ is a lot smaller than it was. Think Turner and Sutcliffe is a better opening pair than Jayasuriya and Atapattu/Karunaratne and NZ bat deeper so think the batting is actually much of a muchness.

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
Why Dilshan doesn’t feature in anyone’s Team ?
He used to in mine but know I think Karunaratne has surpassed him. In comparing the two teams; Hadlee is a little ahead of Murali, Herath is a little ahead of Boult, Wagner and Vaas are almost equals, but Cairns is ahead of Malinga in Test matches and SL has Jayasuriya as a 5th bowler; not really matching Vettori. So, NZ bowling is clearly superior in my book. For batting, Turner and Sutcliffe are both better than Jayasuriya and Karunaratne easily, Sangakkara is better than Williamson, but not by that much, Crowe is ahead of Jayawardene which is balanced by how much ahead De Silva is of Taylor. Ranatunga is a better bat than Watling, and so is Chandimal than Cairns; but the tail of Hadlee and Vettori kinda pulls it back. Overall, I would say SL batting is better but barely; and NZ team is better imo with a better team balance.

howitzer

State Vice-Captain
He used to in mine but know I think Karunaratne has surpassed him. In comparing the two teams; Hadlee is a little ahead of Murali, Herath is a little ahead of Boult, Wagner and Vaas are almost equals, but Cairns is ahead of Malinga in Test matches and SL has Jayasuriya as a 5th bowler; not really matching Vettori. So, NZ bowling is clearly superior in my book. For batting, Turner and Sutcliffe are both better than Jayasuriya and Karunaratne easily, Sangakkara is better than Williamson, but not by that much, Crowe is ahead of Jayawardene which is balanced by how much ahead De Silva is of Taylor. Ranatunga is a better bat than Watling, and so is Chandimal than Cairns; but the tail of Hadlee and Vettori kinda pulls it back. Overall, I would say SL batting is better but barely; and NZ team is better imo with a better team balance.
Yeah this is about where I am with it.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
The battle between England and Pakistan to make the semis would be the most intriguing. Pakistan's powerful attack vs England's batting would be amazing to witness, but the critical one would be Trueman and co vs Miandad, Younis and Inzi.

Of the top 3, while it may ultimately come down to the WI and Aus, South Africa can easily take out either. 7 legitimately great players and that's with Procter not making the lineup. Their opening attack and top 4 bats are as good as if not better than anyone's.
Might take England's batting aligned with Pakistan's bowling to defeat them.

Actually a composite team

Openers - England
1st drop - Australia
Middle order - W. I.
Spin battery - Australia
Pace attack - W. I.

Openers no discussion, similarly 1st drop, and middle order .
From my ratings Hobbs(4), Hutton(8), Bradman(1), Richards(5), Lara(7), Sobers(3)

Warne and Gilly and contenders / near locks for an AT team based partly because of their work together, so....

Pacers only close call, from our ongoing poll.
Marshall (1)/ Ambrose (7) / Garner (15)
Steyn (6) / Donald (13)/ Pollock (20)
Imran (8) / Akram (11) / Younis (17)
McGrath (2) / Lillee (12) / Cummins (23)
Barnes (9) / Trueman (14) / Anderson (25)

If we want to use Lindwall instead of Cummins that's 16 over 23, but did he ever come on first change, or suited to that role? I'll leave it up to the Australian's to decide.

But just raw ratings -
WI - 23
Aus - 37 / 30
Pak - 36
SA - 39
England - 48

Ok, thought it would have been between the Windies and South Africa but I was way off, but still Windies.

Since I'm on a roll, slip support.
Simpson - Chappell - Ponting
Smith - Kallis - Richards / Pollock /deVilliers
Lara - Sobers - Richards
Hammond - Botham - Barrington / Root

this went so very much longer than intended

Openers - England (sm SA)
First drop - Australia
Middle order - West Indies (sm Aus)
Spin / keeper - Australia (sm SL)
Pace Attack - West Indies (sm Aus / Pak / SA)

Cordon - Australia (sm SA / WI)

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
How does Malinga make Sri Lanka's all time test team? He wasn't a very good test bowler and only played 30 tests.

Lakmal really improved in his last few years and was better than him imo, although Asitha Fernando will probably surpass both of them. He is genuinely good.

Sunil1z

International Regular
How does Malinga make Sri Lanka's all time test team? He wasn't a very good test bowler and only played 30 tests.

Lakmal really improved in his last few years and was better than him imo, although Asitha Fernando will probably surpass both of them. He is genuinely good.
They don’t have any option.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year

Asitha wasn't even picked in squad in the last test and came in only for an injured Rajitha. Or was he injured earlier?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
How would you guys rank the countries by ATG XI?

Australia, West Indies, South Africa, England, Pakistan, India, New Zealand, Sri Lanka sound good?

South Africa and England would be close I think.
Yep.

Simpson
Lawry
Bradman
G.Chappell
Harvey
Border
Gilchrist
Davidson
Warne
Lillee
McGrath

Greenidge
Haynes
Richards
Lara
Lloyd
Sobers
Dujon
Marshall
Garner
Holding
Ambrose

Smith
Richards
Kallis
Pollock
DeVilliers
Faulkner
Waite
Procter
Tayfield
Steyn
Donald

Hutton
Hobbs
Hammond
Root
Gooch
Botham
Knott
Trueman
Barnes
Laker
Underwood

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep.

Simpson
Lawry
Bradman
G.Chappell
Harvey
Border
Gilchrist
Davidson
Warne
Lillee
McGrath

Greenidge
Haynes
Richards
Lara
Lloyd
Sobers
Dujon
Marshall
Garner
Holding
Ambrose

Smith
Richards
Kallis
Pollock
DeVilliers
Faulkner
Waite
Procter
Tayfield
Steyn
Donald

Hutton
Hobbs
Hammond
Root
Gooch
Botham
Knott
Trueman
Barnes
Laker
Underwood
When did you stop putting Miller in your Aussie side?