• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Murali was bloody awesome in that world XI game in Oz. The only reason Aussies were able to sit on his spells was how bad the world XI batting was.

ma1978

International 12th Man
Top 16 Batsman
Bradman

Tendulkar
Sobers
Hobbs

Richards
Smith
Lara
Hutton

Gavaskar
Ponting
Hammond
Chappell

Kallis
Sangakkara
Headley
Sutcliffe

Top 14 bowlers
Marshall
McGrath
Hadlee

Steyn
Warne
Muralitharan
Ambrose

Imran
Donald
Lillee
O'Reilly

Wasim
Trueman
Garner

Top 12 Slip fielders
Hammond
Simpson
Sobers
Chappell
Taylor
Waugh
Ponting
Richardson
Hooper
Kallis

Jayawardene
Dravid

Top 10 all rounders
Sobers
Imran
Gilchrist
Kallis
Miller
Botham
Hadlee
Pollock
Jadeja
Kapil

Top 8 Captains
Benaud
Ranatunga
Taylor
Flemming

Worrell
Jardine
Lloyd
Imran

All Time XI & Squad

Sir Jack Hobbs
Graeme Smith^*
Sir Donald Bradman
Sir. I. V. A. Richards^
Sachin Tendulkar
Sir Garfield Sobers^(5)
Adam Gilchrist +
Malcolm Marshall (1)
Shane Warne (4)
Dale Steyn (3)
Glenn McGrath (2)

Sir Leonard Hutton
Steve Smith
Sir Richard Hadlee
Muttiah Muralitharan

Injured reserves
Imran Khan
Jacques Kallis / Brian Lara
Allan Knott

Top 25 cricketers of All Time

Tier 1
Bradman / Sobers / Marshall / Hobbs / Hadlee / McGrath / Tendulkar

Tier 2
Richards / Steyn / Warne / Imran / Muralitharan / Smith / Lara / Hammond / Hutton / Kallis / Gilchrist / Gavaskar / Ambrose / O'Reilly / Headley / Ponting (or Chappell) / Wasim / Sutcliffe.
you have G Smith in your AT XI but not in your list of ATGs. That’s weird af

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
If Warne/Murali were playing against the Indian lineups in India from last 10 years- even on flat pitches, Warne/Murali would eat them alive!

So IMO their averages "in India" are misleading because India had ATG level of batsmen in playing against spin.

If they had debuted in current era, they'd been very effective all around the world and against all opposition sides imo.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
If Warne/Murali were playing against the Indian lineups in India from last 10 years- even on flat pitches, Warne/Murali would eat them alive!

So IMO their averages "in India" are misleading because India had ATG level of batsmen in playing against spin.

If they had debuted in current era, they'd been very effective all around the world and against all opposition sides imo.
Yeah, their problem wasn't the conditions, it was the players.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Greenidge greater than Smith imo. Smith retired early and Greenidge would have averaged high 40s in a tougher era had he done the same.
I have Smith and Greenidge pretty close as batsmen, Greenidge was my very first favorite player, he's the one who's cutouts I had on the wall in my room. I saw every ball of his hundred at Kensington when everyone sai he was washed up. Met and became acquaintances as an adult, so yeah.

I prefer Smith because he's a leftie and provides the aggression I'm looking for. He just as good and a bit more proven than Sir Gordon in the slips and would captain this squad.

With his total value as a all round cricketer, I do believe he belongs in the top 25, but it's a tough club to get into.

howitzer

State Vice-Captain
I have Smith and Greenidge pretty close as batsmen, Greenidge was my very first favorite player, he's the one who's cutouts I had on the wall in my room. I saw every ball of his hundred at Kensington when everyone sai he was washed up. Met and became acquaintances as an adult, so yeah.

I prefer Smith because he's a leftie and provides the aggression I'm looking for. He just as good and a bit more proven than Sir Gordon in the slips and would captain this squad.

With his total value as a all round cricketer, I do believe he belongs in the top 25, but it's a tough club to get into.
A good response here. We seem to agree that Greenidge is criminally underrated here and that the comparison is fairly close.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
for someone who posts a lot about detailed rankings of cricketers on a minute level, it’s an odd take to have G Smith over Greenidge, Gavaskar, Hutton, Sutcliffe
Graeme faced the worst home conditions of all of them, Greenidge being close. He also had to face the 2nd greatest attack of all time in those conditions. Sunny had to face the best ever, but he also faced some absolute nonsense as well in the beginning of his career. I love Hutton and he's in the squad, but I need someone more assertive than what he offers. Sunny is straight up the 3rd best and also offers utility in the slips,. But he's also right handed and is only incrementally faster than Hutton.

Smith's record in any other country would be superior, I'm not willing to add anything to his average though, and this is borne out by how he performed away from home. He's left handed, aggressive (without the weaknesses of a Hayden), tough and brings even further utility to the squad as captain and standing in first slip.

I wanted more from the 2nd opener spot and he provides all of it. He's also not out of place in the team, and if he doesn't pan out, Sir Leonard is there to bail him out.

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
Graeme faced the worst home conditions of all of them, Greenidge being close. He also had to face the 2nd greatest attack of all time in those conditions. Sunny had to face the best ever, but he also faced some absolute nonsense as well in the beginning of his career. I love Hutton and he's in the squad, but I need someone more assertive than what he offers. Sunny is straight up the 3rd best and also offers utility in the slips,. But he's also right handed and is only incrementally faster than Hutton.

Smith's record in any other country would be superior, I'm not willing to add anything to his average though, and this is borne out by how he performed away from home. He's left handed, aggressive (without the weaknesses of a Hayden), tough and brings even further utility to the squad as captain and standing in first slip.

I wanted more from the 2nd opener spot and he provides all of it. He's also not out of place in the team, and if he doesn't pan out, Sir Leonard is there to bail him out.
Graeme Smith does averages less than 40 in home against top oppositions...... His home conditions were tough but Kallis still pulled 50+ on them. His away record is great, but his home gets too easy a leeway imo.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Graeme Smith does averages less than 40 in home against top oppositions...... His home conditions were tough but Kallis still pulled 50+ on them. His away record is great, but his home gets too easy a leeway imo.
His record isn't perfect and he's not Kallis, but he's a decent option who thrived in more "normal" conditions. The older guys neither faced the conditions nor the level of competition.

Regardless of who's in the position, it's the weakest on the team, especially for what I'm looking for. So until Jaiswal get's there, 😂

howitzer

State Vice-Captain
That's because Kallis was exceptional though.

bagapath

International Captain
Top 10 openers in my books...

Hobbs
Hutton
Gavaskar
Sutcliffe
Greenidge
Trumper
Smith
Boycott
Hayden
Sehwag

**Leaving WG Grace out because he didn't play enough test cricket. he could be the no.1 choice otherwise