• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ``ASHES`` and the Pietersen diillema

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
But now england will go into the ahses with 5 straight series win and with a better talent to call up on that in 2001. Lets look at the batting trescothick, strauss, vaughan, pietersen, freddie, thorpe, bell, butcher and key... In the bowling hoggy, the durham destroyer, the welch wrecker, the king of spain, freddie, wonder boy anderson and if england want horses for courses jon lewis or martin saggers.
Better talent?
I don't really think so.
Trescothick isn't Test-class and I've never thought he was, but the batting is at least close to as good as 2001, with Butcher, Strauss, Vaughan and Thorpe, plus maybe Flintoff, and Jones if he can get his head together. I still don't think it's as good as Butcher, Atherton, Hussain, Vaughan, Stewart, Thorpe, Ramprakash, White, though - and it's not as if that played much in 2001, because of all the injuries.
The bowling, however, is a joke compared to how 2001 looked before injuries and poor form struck at the wrong time again.
Harmison - has had a single (sensational) 7-Test spell in his career.
Jones - not exactly anything resembling a proven force
Giles - a fingerspinner
Flintoff - we'll wait and see whether Australia keep-up the poor strokes. Be interesting if they do
Anderson - best thing that can happen is for him not to play

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think we'll know by lunch on the first day, the opening exchanges will set the tone for the entire series.
Generally but it didn't in 1997 (Australia were, what, 7 for 80-odd?).

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Top_Cat said:
Generally but it didn't in 1997 (Australia were, what, 7 for 80-odd?).
The only way England can put any pressure on australia, whatsoever, is if their bowlers really do some early damage. For that we need some dramatic revival in Harmison's form and much better support at the other end too.

England's batting, though not as devastating as the Aussies appears, is much better than it has looked for a long time and the Australian batting has started showing a bit of inconsistency.

This is the time but do England have the bowling ???

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
i still can't see australia losing 3 tests out of 5, which is what england need to regain the ashes.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
If England want to win, their bowling must be running hot.

If they can crack this lineup, they can crack any lineup.

Also, they'll need to negate or at least restrict the time-and-again matchwinners for Australia - Warne, McGrath and Gilchrist. I know the rest can win games on their own, but these three are something special. India restricted Gilly on their last tour here and kept their grubby mitts on the B-GT for eight months too many. :p

And the batsmen have to not collapse........

That's my $500,000.02 (fined for national disloyalty).

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Crazy Sam said:
i still can't see australia losing 3 tests out of 5, which is what england need to regain the ashes.
Yeah that's a fairly accurate post, I'm in the same boat. I can see a fairly competitive series (By God I'm hoping for one) but I really can't see Australia losing 3. I don't even see a drawn series occuring but if it did I wouldn't be too surprised as this England outfit is much better and more mature (as well as attacking) compared to previous teams. I don't see Vaughan putting Australia in to bat out of fear like other teams seem to do in both ODIs and Tests.

Either way I'm looking forward to this series a lot. I'm not over-excited to the extent that I believe Australia are going to definitely be challenged and will lose the Ashes, whilst at the same time I'm not a pessimist who believes that this England team is all hype and Australia have it in the bag and thus will continue to 'ruin cricket'. I'm smack bang in the middle, awaiting and hoping for a good series no matter who wins. :)

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Unless weather intervenes, I can't see anything other than a 5-0 whitewash by Australia. Even if they get into trouble in the odd period in the series, they have so many options to get out of it and still win the test .

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Crazy Sam said:
If England get one up, they'll pick 11 batsmen for the rest of the series. :D

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I'm still backing Australia as they have done it all before. If England fire with 9 or 10 players at a time then we have a chance, but I expect the Australians' experience to carry the day.

Just to quantify my earlier statement a bit more, I can't see us coming back from a bad first session. Australia (for experience reasons) may well be able to recover, but if we collapse or get carted on day one, then there will be little coming back.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
in my usual patriotic self, i feel that England are going to push the Aussies this series.

i feel the injection of Strauss and Pietersen over the last few months in the batting department is going to prove vital. It is essential that Strauss, Pietersen and either of Thorpe/Vaughan have a good series, and a couple of brutal knocks from Freddie/Jones/Trescotkick, if england are to rival the Aussie batting. the two important players here for me will be Strauss and Pietersen as they seem to be looking really GOOOD at the moment.

Hoggy and Freddie are gonna have to be replicate whatever line and length McGrath and Gillespie produce. Harmy should return to form so we can have the fury :mad2: that Lee gives the Aussie bowling. Simon Jones/ Anderson are gonna have to rise to the occasion the way Kasprowizs does whenever called upon.

I feel that if engalnd are going to win, then it is going to be down to the balance that Freddie gives us.

Thanks SK

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

speed king i can see that u r a die hard english fan, but u got to be realistic like the rest of us its going to be extremely though for england to win back the ashes

Langeveldt

Soutie
I rate KP, but I doubt he will make a start in tests like he did in ODI's.. I think he might get exposed somewhat.. England will probably win some sessions and at least the cricket will be good.

However, it's 3-0 Aus, another walkover, another over rated non entity of a contest..

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
I rate KP, but I doubt he will make a start in tests like he did in ODI's.. I think he might get exposed somewhat.. England will probably win some sessions and at least the cricket will be good.

However, it's 3-0 Aus, another walkover, another over rated non entity of a contest..
Regarding KP's success in test format, I think we have been proved wrong so often in recent times by big hitting batmen that we should wait and watch. I wouldnt be so sure, either way !

Langeveldt

Soutie
England have shown themselves to be slightly better than SA at the moment.. What happened to a strong SA side when they played Aus last? Total devestation..

Australia play their cricket at another level, and nobody is invited...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

Langeveldt said:
England have shown themselves to be slightly better than SA at the moment.. What happened to a strong SA side when they played Aus last? Total devestation..

I totally agree with u

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Langeveldt said:

It was hardly 'slightly better', England played below their best throughout and still won 2-1 IN South Africa and on the balance of play it should have been a bigger margin. Australia also only won 2-1 in SA (twice).

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
It was hardly 'slightly better', England played below their best throughout and still won 2-1 IN South Africa and on the balance of play it should have been a bigger margin. Australia also only won 2-1 in SA (twice).
no mate they won 2-1 in south africa and 3-0 in australia not 2-1 twice and that match that south africa one was the last match in durban