• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test cricket under lights?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hi all,

I am an Indian cricket fan and I have been reading this forum for a while now. I always lurk here during Test/ODI series to read the humorous and knowledgeable contributions of the members here. This is my first thread, so please go easy on me. :)

I came across an interesting article by cricinfo journalist/blogger Dileep Premachandran ( Sachin Tendulkar's words about the value of Test cricket given new light | Dileep Premachandran | Sport | guardian.co.uk ) saying that Lalit Modi suggests that Test cricket attendances/viewership in India are waning because people are unable to watch day sessions due to work, and the best way to fix this is to make it day/night sessions. I would like to hear what people think of this idea. How would the use of a white ball affect the game? Would the dew make it impossible for spinners to make an impact? Would the early morning assistance that the fast bowlers get on the first day of a Test match be replaced by swing later in the day under the lights? Personally, I love Test cricket as it is, but I have to admit I'd be curious to see how something like this works out. People always hark back to how World Series Cricket revolutionized the game (positively or negatively is a discussion for another day) with day/night cricket, coloured clothing, aggressive marketing and other innovations and maybe something like this could give Test cricket a much needed boost?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I would like to see it too, if they can overcome problems with the ball/lights. I find it annoying that I can watch a lot more live overseas test cricket than I can English test cricket.

pasag

RTDAS
I think all the trials have been quite negative, so it's not looking great at this stage from a practical pov.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I think all the trials have been quite negative, so it's not looking great at this stage from a practical pov.
Disappointing. How awesome would a thrilling test match be at night at the Mc G or the SCG

Lostman

State Captain
I like it from the standpoint that it would make batting much more tougher. Could lead to a better balance between bat and ball.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
The biggest farce has been to offer Lights to batsmen in stadiums where they have Flood Lights. I am against Day/Night Test matches and I dont think players would want to play 5 nights in a row.

Besides it is a huge waste of energy for a country like India where 90 % of the population do not have proper power.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Haha, seriously? You're going to bring that into it? Half the ODIs are day/night, as is most of IPL.

Frankly, I don't really care about the ball. They'll deal with it. It's such a huge thing for the sport that you can't wait for things to be perfect before you start. They'll work out the kinks once they start playing.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Instinctively I'm anti, but I don't much like change, me. Pretty sure I'd have been up in arms about covered pitches 40 years ago too.

I think the real politik of the situation is that it will happen once the ball probs have been sorted out. However, I don't suppose it will be possible everywhere because of the dew.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Instinctively I'm anti, but I don't much like change, me. Pretty sure I'd have been up in arms about covered pitches 40 years ago too.

I think the real politik of the situation is that it will happen once the ball probs have been sorted out. However, I don't suppose it will be possible everywhere because of the dew.
my sentiments more or less verbatim

Top_Cat

Frankly, I don't really care about the ball. They'll deal with it. It's such a huge thing for the sport that you can't wait for things to be perfect before you start. They'll work out the kinks once they start playing.
Yes.

Personally the biggest reason why D/N Shield matches failed the first time had little to do with the ball. The players bitched a bit but, really, only a few more people went than would have during the day.

The conspiratorialist in me wonders about the most recent ball issues and whether it's being set up to fail a bit. The players have said the pink rubs off to reveal the white ball underneath. Why are they just painting over an already painted surface? If not for untoward reasons, that's pretty bloody shoddy.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes.

Personally the biggest reason why D/N Shield matches failed the first time had little to do with the ball. The players bitched a bit but, really, only a few more people went than would have during the day.

The conspiratorialist in me wonders about the most recent ball issues and whether it's being set up to fail a bit. The players have said the pink rubs off to reveal the white ball underneath. Why are they just painting over an already painted surface? If not for untoward reasons, that's pretty bloody shoddy.
No, there's technical reasons why you can't produce pink leather and you have to paint. Can't remember the details.

Definitely think they should just go for it though. I was disappointed that using our home tests against Bangladesh to try this summer fell through.

Top_Cat

D/N's on the Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of the test, weekends back to day.
You'd seriously advocate playing until late at night then backing up for an 10:30 or 11am start the next day? Crazy.

Top_Cat

No, there's technical reasons why you can't produce pink leather and you have to paint. Can't remember the details.
That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about why, instead of painting the ball white first then painting it pink, they didn't just paint it pink.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Have said it before - day\night Test cricket is unneccessary in some parts of the cricket World and thus should not be brought in purely for the sake of it.

If there's a genuine chance of it upping viewing figures somewhere, however, great - and it should certainly have effort put into making it happen.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about why, instead of painting the ball white first then painting it pink, they didn't just paint it pink.
I don't know about that. Is it more of a problem when the paint comes off if it's dark underneath - for seeing perhaps?