• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tennis ball Cricket !

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Richard said:
That's sort of what I meant.
It's just like no-one is going to be scared of a bomb if it doesn't explode.
No-one is going to be scared of a cricket-ball unless it's travelling at high pace. Tennis-balls are not going to scare anyone if they're travelling at 150 mph, like they do off Andy Roddick's racket.
Well I remember playing backyard cricket a few years ago, when I was bowling and my cousin just flayed the ball back at me. I did my best Matrix impression, but I still lost my hat. Luckily, that's all the ball took off. That was pretty scary, even though it was only a tennis ball!

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
me and my amtes just used normal tennis balls and had some great matches belting it as far as we could on the football pitches near r houses but we had to use a bucket 4 the stumps

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mr Casson said:
Well I remember playing backyard cricket a few years ago, when I was bowling and my cousin just flayed the ball back at me. I did my best Matrix impression, but I still lost my hat. Luckily, that's all the ball took off. That was pretty scary, even though it was only a tennis ball!
I had that happen to me bowling in nets once, had a newish proper cricket ball whiz straight at me and for a split second I was gonna catch it, then decided against it and got everything out of the way bar the tip of the little finger. It didn't hurt thankfully but I'm pretty sure it broke my little finger, I kept on bowling tho.

I like the practice ball I have which I think is an Easton Incrediball that someone else mentioned, although it tends to 'tang' (as tho someone overzealously high-fived you) a bit when catching it and it tends to swing (massively on occasion) in the same direction regardless of how you bowl it. It does hurt a little if you get hit on an unprotected shin or finger but it's not too bad and it carries the speed well when it bounces or when it has been hit along the ground unlike tennis balls. As for tennis balls I did manage to break someones finger by throwing the ball as fast as possible to them to catch, and played 'kickit' at break times at school where someone would bowl and you had to kick the ball instead of using your bat, school bags were used as stumps.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Tennis balls dont really cut it for me..

My setup, is a net and a roller in the yard, a decentish wicket that me and some mates take it upon ourselves to maintain, and some cracking practice using one of the orange Reader windballs they use in the UK.. Or a cricket ball if we can be bothered to pad up..

deeps

International 12th Man
try this one

tape up HALF of the ball, so you have one taped side and one untaped side, and watch the mofo swing like a bi tcH!

comes out pretty quick too

in terms of catching, i'd much rather take a cricket bal,coz they tend to stick in ur hands, unlike a tennis ball that bounces out

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And in the inevitable event that they sometimes hit you on the end of the finger they tend to break it instead of causing a small stubbing.