• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tennis ball Cricket !

FRAZ

International Captain
In the Tennis ball match The bowlers shouldnt just use the strength of the shoulder but also they should give a jerk through their wrist . that is how the ball will travel a lot faster .

hyounis786

Cricket Spectator
when i first learned about the taped tennis ball cricket when i visited pakistan i found it very entertaining and spectacular,from this i introduced this to me m8s over at england,some knew of it n enjoyed it as much as me,90% kids in england use tennis taped -ball in england where im from as it helps u at a very early age and as u get older u can introduce urself the cricket ball.i think taped tennis ball cricket is gr8.full marks!!! :D :D :D :D

gd thinkin about making this particular issue as u have got ppl thinkin bout it!

IsuraE

School Boy/Girl Captain
I play quite a lot of taped-tennis ball cricket indoors here at school (in canada). You can bowl with considerable pace and also rip a few leggies if you are good. :P

ReallyCrazy

Banned
tape ball cricket is so much fun. I remember once how I was bowling pretty fast but I couldn't get the batter out and then I thought I should try something different. I bowled another fast one but this time gave it a little rip. The ball pitched 2 feet outside leg. My friend tried to follow the ball but the ball beat him and went onto hit middle stump!

Isolator

State 12th Man
I play with tennis balls too; wish we could use leather balls but peoples' cars would be in danger. Horrible for spin bowling, especially legspin. Definitely not good for technique...

There was a guy we played with who could swing the ball...he held it in a funny way and I think he chucked, but the ball swerved considerably...and this was without tape, etc. Any ideas on how this could happen?

abe

Cricket Spectator
Playing with tennis balls is fun, and I think legspin works pretty good with it :) you get plenty of bounce and turn :)

If we have tape and time we tape it up and make a little seam on it using some string...but our yards are pretty small with nasty neighbours so we lose many balls...
playing at the park is great though.

With the chucking/swinging guy maybe he was using baseball typing swinging deliveries (knuckleball, curveball, etc). They don't use the seam but use the Magnus effect (basically sidespin).

abe

Cricket Spectator
err...know the bail off? I assume you mean knock...

Too much bounce means you hardly hit the wicket (except when they charge a short one and miss :) ). Usually get wickets by catches.

I guess depends what surface you play on to get turn, but really, with the furry tennis ball you can get the ball to turn quite dramatically especially with legspin. Even if it's taped you can get significant turn as long as the grass isn't wet (lighter ball = easier to put more turn).

Speaking of a lighter ball, anyone ever used a ping pong ball? Just get the bowler to bowl really close as the ball slows down heaps in the air. Put some side spin on the ball and it swings miles :)

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
I have nothing to do tomorow, so me and some mates are going to try this 'tape ball' thing. It sounds much easier then lugging the whole kit down for a bit of a muck around.

I have a couple of questions though, do you remove the fur before putting the electricle tape on? as i would have thought the tape wouldnt stick too well to the fur on the tennis ball?

abe

Cricket Spectator
it sticks just fine, but after some heavy hitting it might come loose at the end of the tape an start coming off that way...and rough surfaces scuff up the tape.

Mingster

State Regular
It's easier to catch with a cricket ball, it sticks to your hand while a tennis ball just pops out.

And I have not heard anyone say that they are scared of catching a cricket ball Richard. What team do you play for?

deeps

International 12th Man
Mingster said:
And I have not heard anyone say that they are scared of catching a cricket ball Richard. What team do you play for?
ok, well u stand at short mid off, and i'll get gilchrist to belt the ball really really hard straight at ur head....try catch it!

i fink that's wat he means...sometimes the ball flies of the mddle,and ppl think twice before catching it...if it was a tennis ball, ne1 would fly for it!

Mingster

State Regular
Yeah but that's not being scared of the ball...more like being scared of the power of the ball that's been hit!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's sort of what I meant.
It's just like no-one is going to be scared of a bomb if it doesn't explode.
No-one is going to be scared of a cricket-ball unless it's travelling at high pace. Tennis-balls are not going to scare anyone if they're travelling at 150 mph, like they do off Andy Roddick's racket.

Mingster

State Regular
Richard said:
That's sort of what I meant.
It's just like no-one is going to be scared of a bomb if it doesn't explode.
No-one is going to be scared of a cricket-ball unless it's travelling at high pace. Tennis-balls are not going to scare anyone if they're travelling at 150 mph, like they do off Andy Roddick's racket.
But the distance is further in a tennis court.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
I frequently indulge in some tennis ball cricket. Usually when we play, it's with a fairly good quality tennis ball (some of the people I play with can bowl it fairly fast, and we have some hard hitters so the ball tends to break after a few overs) completely covered in heavy-duty electrical tape with a series of rubber bands simulating a seam under the tape.

Swervy

International Captain
when we were kids, me and my mates used to put tape on one side of the ball, that way you can make it swing