• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tennis ball Cricket !

Legglancer

State Regular
I have been playing tennis ball cricket for some time now and sometimes I am quite suprised at how serious some of my team mates are about this form of cricket. I see batsman who are highly skillful and take great pride in their craft working constantly in trying to get better not to mention the bowlers. Are these cricketers going to be relegated to to the back burner for ever or does anyone think that soft ball cricketers deserves some kind of expousure ???

How about a world Cup for Tennis ball Cricket?

I am sure Tennis ball cricket will be extreamly popular especially in countries like bangladesh, India, pakistan, Sri Lanka ...ect as players do not have to spend large amounts of cash to buy equipment such as pad's, guards, hemets ect.

Any thoughts ?

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
well,if a bowler bowls a tennis ball at 130 kph,then all the batsmen has to do is block,because the ball will just bounce of it and go to the boundary :lol:

I used to play tennis ball cricket,but now I am older i use a cricket ball.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
tennis balls dont swind as much and are harder to bowl fast

and harder to hit farther

but than again they dont hurt as much cricket balls

ReallyCrazy

Banned
hehe

its good you brought this up coz when I was in Dubai, I used to play w/ the cricket ball in school but me and my friends used a tennis balls for street cricket. Actually they weren't tennis balls, they were tape balls. We just covered the tennis ball with loads of electrical tape (also taped a seam). The tape ball is obviously harder and also better to bowl fast.

Craig

World Traveller
I think they are great. It teaches youngsters to get behind the ball when they bat and it teaches them the basic fundamentals of the game and get their confidence up so when they move up to the hard ball, it isnt as difficult.

It has helped some of the WI and worl'd greatest ever players like Sobers, Viv Richards and so on.

COrrect me if I am wrong, but did braincile Trevor Bailey start up a successful comp in Essex?

FRAZ

International Captain
The best way to play a tennis ball is to never move the feet and play away from the body and give a full bang on the ball from the tow of the bat .........

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I always play with a tennis ball in the backyard because if we hit a cricket ball into the window, you know the end of the sentence. Tennis ball cricket is fun, it's also quite easy to bowl bouncers :D

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Re: hehe

ReallyCrazy said:
its good you brought this up coz when I was in Dubai, I used to play w/ the cricket ball in school but me and my friends used a tennis balls for street cricket. Actually they weren't tennis balls, they were tape balls. We just covered the tennis ball with loads of electrical tape (also taped a seam). The tape ball is obviously harder and also better to bowl fast.
Same here.

How do you make your seam?

We use electrical tape and roll two pieces up and tape them relatively close in the middle, swing like a bitch.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I dont agree, I think Tennis balls bounce far too high.. You cant bowl people unless you york them really.. They are very hard to bowl spin with, so they discourage that.... And they mess peoples technique up...

The nearest thing ive seen to a real cricketball would be the Easton incrediball.. Not sure how available that is around the world though....

shankar

International Debutant
covering the tennis ball with electrical tape on just one side makes it swing nicely...very entertaining to play somebody who bowls really fast.

Bouncer

State Regular
Tape Ball cricket (Tape tennis actually) has actually revoloutionaized cricket in pak since early 80's. People play it every where, good thing about it that it does not cost alot as u need any Protective guards as a batsman.
It comes to bat really fast, and encourages stroke making, since it fly's off the bat so the bowlers have to be very very fats and good in order to not to get hit around too much, speed is only way of survival as a bolwer in Tape Ball cricket.

In Pak they have number of tape Ball tournaments at every level, but the best time for these tournaments is the Summer time when young people are off from school and have good time early in morning typically around 4-4:30am to play in streets and in grounds. I myself am a champion batsman of Tape Ball cricket

ReallyCrazy

Banned
nice to see other tape ball cricket players here :D

With tape ball, we can actually bowl fast and the bounce is also not too high. If you add a seam to it (we seam it up by putting around 3 layers of tape around it in the centre), it swings very well. Its really good if you are a fast bowler which is what i am. It is also not that bad if you are a spinner, it spins quite a bit. As someone already said, you will enjoy playing w/ the tape ball even if you are a batter. Its fun.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
I dont agree, I think Tennis balls bounce far too high.. You cant bowl people unless you york them really.. They are very hard to bowl spin with, so they discourage that.... And they mess peoples technique up...

The nearest thing ive seen to a real cricketball would be the Easton incrediball.. Not sure how available that is around the world though....
I thoroughly agree with this.
Tennis-balls are totally different to cricket-balls in terms of bounce. The phrase "tennis-ball bounce" does come from somewhere, you know.
But believe me, bat without a box against a tennis-ball at your peril! I have never fallen into that trap.:D
It is impossible to practice for cricket with a tennis-ball, just to have an unrealistic, "fun" game.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
haha richard doesn't like tennis ball cricket cause there is too much clogging and catches get dropped far to often....

as for wearing a box when playing with a tennis ball, thats really pathetic. :lol: :lol: :lol:

nibbs

International Captain
Tennis Ball cricket is feely easy. Often to hits fours where I played all you needed to do was hit the ball through point. When the ball was bowled fast it was as simple as blocking it...

Much fun as come from tennis balls...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
age_master said:
haha richard doesn't like tennis ball cricket cause there is too much clogging and catches get dropped far to often....

as for wearing a box when playing with a tennis ball, thats really pathetic. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nope, 'fraid it's not.
It's simply avoiding pain where to do so costs nothing.
And if you know you're not going to be hurt, you inevitably bat better. Believe me. I smash the ball all over everywhere when I bat against a tennis-ball, even bowled very quickly.
Catches, meanwhile, get dropped very rarely in my experience, because no-one is afraid of the ball either.
Well, when you're playing it with real cricketers, that is. Obviously non-cricketers are going to drop clangers all the time. Anyway, it doesn't really matter as no-one remembers the scores.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Tennis ball cricket is a safe way for everyone (some are scared of playing with a real cricket ball) to enjoy playing cricket.

FRAZ

International Captain
I remember The tennis ball matches that I used to play . Simply Awesome exciting and some what very professional .... Cuz there were good amount of betting on them . Once I tried an experiment that there was a market where the whole parking lot was cemented ,I bought some hard plastic balls which were hollow from inside , and raped them in the tape . I swear I have never seen any thing swinging like that , I rememebr a guy bowled like 3 feet away from my leg stump but ball swung like crazy , I thought its gonna be wide by a margin of 2 feet atleast , so I left it but the ball banged on my ankle , And it was swollen to a double size. Neverthe less it was one of my best memories about my cricket passion too. We used to have 1000 volts flood lights which we used in the nights to lit up the pitch and out field.

Last edited: