• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Team of the 2010s

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Kaushal another guy who's just disappeared. I think he got called for chucking and hasn't been seen since?
They are still tinkering with his action and trying to get that doosra cleared last I heard. Doubt he'll come onto the radar until all that has been sorted, since then Akila has definitely jumped well ahead of him

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They are still tinkering with his action and trying to get that doosra cleared last I heard. Doubt he'll come onto the radar until all that has been sorted, since then Akila has definitely jumped well ahead of him
Good luck with that. Pretty sure it's impossible to bowl a doosra without chucking.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I read somewhere that he could bowl it legally, but not consistently, at his test back in 2015 about half the doosras were over 15 degrees, he's got a strange action too, he's not actually a finger spinner, yet he bowls offspin, not dissimilar to murali

Bolo

State Captain
If you were only talking about the last few series then sure. Not the impression I got from your post. It seemed you were describing his post 2010 career (which is the topic) with that pattern. That's why I pointed out it wasn't true and gave you numerous instances where he did the opposite of what you said.

I also massively disagree that the game was "won" in any of those games after his 60s. They were excellent innings but him "losing interest" after getting to 60 is just not true since SA weren't in a dominant position after most of those 60s at all. They could have used some more runs from him. Why would he feel as though his job was done?
Not possible to generalize over a decade. I must mean a sample. Needs to be large enough to influence stat, but even if only 2 game's would make a difference. Gray area on some games. Some it def happened.

Think he stopped caring much about runs around 2015. He retired.mostly just wanted a challenge, beat the best, quality cricket. He's been failing against minnows all the time. Not much effort there. Either unstoppable or Mia depending what there is to play for

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This kind of pointless conjecture doesn't work as cricket doesn't get played on a spreadsheet. Alec Stewart would be an example of the other extreme. Only makes sense to judge cricketers on what they have done or Carl Hooper is an ATG.
Amla has opened in tests and performed as well there as he does at 3. He also opens in ODIs. He also plays the majority of his cricket in a country that is tough for opening batsmen, meaning he's often batting within the first couple of overs anyway.

There's been plenty of players who've slid up and down the order for the good of the team. Amla has all the skills required to open and has handled batting #3 very well. I'm certain he could open.

But if you really don't want to play someone out of position, Cook and Warner have to open. Amla doesn't get a place then, which is a shame because he's definitely been one of the best bats of the decade.

harsh.ag

There really is no reason that a spinner must necessarily be in the side. No spinner does well in all conditions. But pacers exist who do.

Steyn
Anderson
Rabada
Cummins

Gives a lot of variety. They have all done well in the subcontinent too.

And then you could give ABdV the gloves too.

stephen

There really is no reason that a spinner must necessarily be in the side. No spinner does well in all conditions. But pacers exist who do.

Steyn
Anderson
Rabada
Cummins

Gives a lot of variety. They have all done well in the subcontinent too.

And then you could give ABdV the gloves too.
If you play Shakib that could work.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Amla has opened in tests and performed as well there as he does at 3.
He's opened exactly twice, which is not a big enough sample to say that he's performed there as well as at three.

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo

He also plays the majority of his cricket in a country that is tough for opening batsmen, meaning he's often batting within the first couple of overs anyway.
While that's a valid point, wouldn't you have to look at his scores in those matches when an opener fell cheaply in order to assess his suitability for opening?

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Alright, let's start getting some numbers into this.

It's often been said that 2000s was the decade of the batsmen, but 2010s hasn't really been considered as such. However, we have 3 players who average 60+ in 2010s (albeit Voges only has played 20 tests).

Top 10 runs scored and average
Cook 8,660 @ 45.74
Amla 6,435 @ 51.07
Warner 6,363 @ 48.20
Smith 6,199 @ 61.37
Root 6,154 @ 50.85
Kohli 6,098 @ 54.44
Williamson 5,338 @ 50.35
Ali 5,202 @ 44.84
AB de Villiers 5,059 @ 57.48
Sangakkara 4,851 @ 61.40
Younis 4,839 @ 54.37
Pujara 4,772 @ 50.23
Clarke 4,717 @ 48.62
Matthews 4,694 @ 43.86
Taylor 4,637 @ 49.32

Top 15 wicket takers and average
Anderson 411 @ 24.04
Herath 360 @ 26.25
Broad 358 @ 27.71
Ashwin 327 @ 25.59
Lyon 306 @ 32.21
Steyn 249 @ 21.72
Morkel 248 @ 25.99
Boult 215 @ 27.84
Philander 205 @ 21.54
Southee 205 @ 29.65
Sharma 199 @ 34.96
Swann 193 @ 30.14
Starc 182 @ 28.17
Johnson 176 @ 28.68
Jadeja 171 @ 23.11

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Cook
Warner
Smith *
Kohli
Root
de Villiers
Bairstow +
Philander
Herath
Steyn
Anderson

Omission of KW is tough but de Villiers has had a superb decade.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Oh, and what do we do with Sangakkara? May be make an excuse that he retired mid decade. And Younis can easily replace Root.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Woahh Anderson has more wickets than I thought he would.

I wonder what his record is like in games without cloud cover.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He played 191 innings. Obviously there are going to be occasions where he scored runs when his team was on top. Bolo didn't literally mean it never ever ever happened. He meant that ABDV didn't primarily fill his boots when run scoring was easy. He scored a higher than average percentage of his runs in tough situations and arguably was below average in downhill skiing for a great batsman

How true this is idk, and I'm not defending it, but to attack him as tho he meant ABDV literally never scored runs when his team was on top is just being stupid
Early in his career he definitely downhill skied. Did it bloody well, mind you.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
(Best performed in each position, best performed for bowlers - not factoring in home and away)

Cook
Warner
Sangakkara
Kohli
DeVilliers
Matthews
Prior +
Philander
Herath
Anderson
Steyn