• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Team Built For <<Challenge>>

Isolator

State 12th Man
How about someone make an XI for a bodyline scenario. That would mean the best players, with bat or by avoiding, of the short ball you've seen. Also suppose the pitches were the same they had then, and protective equipment is pretty much non-existent.

Also, I've noticed that only batting-oriented scenarios have been discussed so far...

Beleg

International Regular
Ah, Bodyline Scenario:

1. Ricky Ponting - Excellent hooker of the ball IMO
2. Richardson - His mousy frame'll help him leave pretty much any ball at will
3. Arvinda DeSilva - Best player of short bowling I have seen
4. Inzamam - Excellent player of fast-balling in general and short bowling in particular
5. Brian Lara
6. Viv Richards - Him hooking Imran is quite a sight!
7. Adam Gilchrist
8. Ian Botham - recently watched some video's. That guy could bat!
9. Wasim Akram
10. Shane Warne
11. Muralitharan - he is potentially a great player of short-bowling, of professionally playing the ball over the head of the wicket-keeper

Edit: thanks for pointing it out. I do stand by picking Richardson. I watched him play against Shoaib and Sami a number of times, and he didn't do much wrong against the short-pitch stuff. [Granted sami and shoaib aren't the best exponents of bouncers but still I can't think of anyone else who I have watched that could leave the ball well alone without having a swish]

Last edited:

Isolator

State 12th Man
You have two Bothams...
Richardson's not really small...unless you meant Dave Richardson. He's (Mark Richardson) not particularly good with short stuff, from what I've seen. Without protection, he'd definitely be dead.

tooextracool

International Coach
Beleg said:
3. Arvinda DeSilva - Best player of short bowling I have seen
aravinda desilva may have enjoyed played the pull shot, but the fact was that if you bowled him a short ball, and put a fielder at long leg, he'd take on the fielder and try to hit it for 6. wouldnt have been the smartest thing to do against the bodyline bowlers. and of course the fact that hes been miserable outside the sub continent still holds.

Beleg

International Regular
haven't seen much/any of him outside sub-continent so can't argue with your misserable-otuside-subcontinent assertion; as for trying for six, in a bodyline situation, Arvinda DeSilva will have brain enough to not go for the hook every time. Of course it also depends on whether he has the ability to actually control his shots of short-balls and choose them at will [hook or pull] and that I believe he does have.

tooextracool

International Coach
thats just the point, the number of time aravinda got himself out trying to take on the fielders at the boundary is incredible. he maybe a good puller but he has no control over it.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Hard to pick a bodyline side. Steve Waugh is probably the best player I have seen to have in a situation like that, though.

bryce

International Regular
Beleg said:
Edit: thanks for pointing it out. I do stand by picking Richardson. I watched him play against Shoaib and Sami a number of times, and he didn't do much wrong against the short-pitch stuff. [Granted sami and shoaib aren't the best exponents of bouncers but still I can't think of anyone else who I have watched that could leave the ball well alone without having a swish]
richardson was shocking against the short pitched bowling from shoaib and sami

Craig

World Traveller
tooextracool said:
thats just the point, the number of time aravinda got himself out trying to take on the fielders at the boundary is incredible. he maybe a good puller but he has no control over it.
I remember reading a cricket manuel by Imran Khan where he said how to play each and every shot in the book, and one thing was to always hook and pull down so it reduces your chances of getting caught.

Amazing how many players never try it when there are men out there.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tooextracool said:
i wouldnt drop hussain, the man is custom made to bat for his life. id drop chanderpaul quite comfortably, although not for kallis, but for one of the players ive mentioned in my earlier post.
But why? Chanderpaul is not only a class batsman who bat for long periods, but he has as much determination as anyone in the game.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
But why? Chanderpaul is not only a class batsman who bat for long periods, but he has as much determination as anyone in the game.
chanderpaul is class, but personally i dont think he has anywhere near as much determination on seamer friendly wickets as hussain does(And i doubt his record is all that great on them either). neither of course is chanderpaul in the same class as a player like martin crowe. and if i were to ask one batsman from the WI to bat for long periods of time id pick jimmy adams ahead of him.

Mr Mxyzptlk

tooextracool said:
chanderpaul is class, but personally i dont think he has anywhere near as much determination on seamer friendly wickets as hussain does(And i doubt his record is all that great on them either). neither of course is chanderpaul in the same class as a player like martin crowe. and if i were to ask one batsman from the WI to bat for long periods of time id pick jimmy adams ahead of him.
You're obviously thinking of pre-injury Jimmy Adams. Post-injury Adams, bar a magical stretch of 6 Tests and 2 or 3 before, was a broken man.

Mr Mxyzptlk

I'd have Chanderpaul level with Adams on determination. How many times has he played great innings for the West Indies with injury or in a crisis?