• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Super 14 2010

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
We usually have a topic up early but its only a few days before this year's competition starts and I noticed we've left it a bit late. If everyone is keen for tipping on the forum do say so, or Superbru is an option (and I know both myself and Voltman also use Telecom Virtual Rugby).

The games in week one are:
Blues vs Hurricanes
Force vs Brumbies
Cheetahs vs Bulls
Crusaders vs Highlanders
Reds vs Waratahs
Lions vs Stormers
Sharks vs Chiefs

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Blues vs Hurricanes
Force vs Brumbies
Cheetahs vs Bulls
Crusaders vs Highlanders
Reds vs Waratahs
Lions vs Stormers
Sharks vs Chiefs

Athlai

Not Terrible
Blues vs Hurricanes
Force vs Brumbies
Cheetahs vs Bulls
Crusaders vs Highlanders
Reds vs Waratahs
Lions vs Stormers
Sharks vs Chiefs

The only marginal one for me was Sharks-Chiefs really. Expecting Brumbies, Bulls, Crusaders, Waratahs and Stormers to be relatively straightforward (won't happen but you know what I mean). Blues Hurricanes should go the Canes way but they always manage to keep the other team in the game.

ripper868

International Coach
Blues vs Hurricanes
Force vs Brumbies
Cheetahs vs Bulls
Crusaders vs Highlanders
Reds vs Waratahs
Lions vs Stormers
Sharks vs Chiefs

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Blues vs Hurricanes
Force vs Brumbies
Cheetahs vs Bulls
Crusaders vs Highlanders
Reds vs Waratahs
Lions vs Stormers
Sharks vs Chiefs

and a table tip

1 Crusaders
2 Waratahs
3 Hurricanes
4 Bulls
5 Brumbies
6 Sharks
7 Highlanders
8 Chiefs
9 Stormers
10 Cheetahs
11 Blues
12 Force
13 Reds
14 Lions

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Blues
Brumbies
Bulls
Crusaders
Waratahs
Stormers
Sharks

And my predicted table:
1 Crusaders
2 Blues
3 Hurricanes
4 Bulls
5 Brumbies
6 Waratahs
7 Chiefs
8 Sharks
9 Stormers
10 Highlanders
11 Force
12 Reds
13 Cheetahs
14 Lions

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Funny thing is that even though I'm from Auckland I'm hardly what you'd call a parochial Blues supporter, though I do fancy their chances this year even after the loss of Ali Williams for the season. So long as the new halfback-flyhalf pairing of Mathewson and Brett can click, they should be a highly entertaining side with some of the quality in the backline, and with Mealamu and Kaino leading the forwards I hope they're successful.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Blues vs Hurricanes
Force vs Brumbies
Cheetahs vs Bulls
Crusaders vs Highlanders
Reds vs Waratahs
Lions vs Stormers
Sharks vs Chiefs

Athlai

Not Terrible
1 Hurricanes
2 Crusaders
3 Stormers
4 Blues
5 Waratahs
6 Bulls
7 Chiefs
8 Brumbies
9 Highlanders
10 Sharks
11 Force
12 Cheetahs
13 Reds
14 Lions

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Blues vs Hurricanes
Force vs Brumbies
Cheetahs vs Bulls
Crusaders vs Highlanders
Reds vs Waratahs
Lions vs Stormers
Sharks vs Chiefs

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Blues vs Hurricanes
Force vs Brumbies
Cheetahs vs Bulls
Crusaders vs Highlanders
Reds vs Waratahs
Lions vs Stormers
Sharks vs Chiefs

Don't rate the Blues at all, not much strength in depth. Brett's an overrated hack. Don't rate the Canes much either, to be fair. Blues could do it at home, what with the really, really great home support they have, but I'm pretty confident with the rest of my picks.

I fully expect to get 0/7.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Blues vs Hurricanes
Force vs Brumbies
Cheetahs vs Bulls
Crusaders vs Highlanders
Reds vs Waratahs
Lions vs Stormers
Sharks vs Chiefs

Don't rate the Blues at all, not much strength in depth. Brett's an overrated hack. Don't rate the Canes much either, to be fair. Blues could do it at home, what with the really, really great home support they have, but I'm pretty confident with the rest of my picks.

I fully expect to get 0/7.
This is going to be the Canes year I reckon (losing 32-17 in the semis ftw)

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
This. The Blues were poor last year and Auckland were pretty dismal in the ANZ. (I realise their talent is spread somewhat in that comp but all the teams with Auckland players in were pretty shoddy).

Think SA is in for a poor season nevertheless.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
This. The Blues were poor last year and Auckland were pretty dismal in the ANZ. (I realise their talent is spread somewhat in that comp but all the teams with Auckland players in were pretty shoddy).

Think SA is in for a poor season nevertheless.
Whilst the Blues were admittedly very inconsistent in 2009 and Auckland, North Harbour and Northland hardly dominated the ANZC, I still think with their signings in Brett and Mathewson (and to a lesser extent Serge Lilo) the major issues last year at halfback and first five look much safer, and with the backline talent at their disposal I'm hopeful anyway.

I think you're right with the South African based sides. Would be a huge shock if the Lions and Cheetahs finished anywhere other than last and second to last, while the Sharks IMO look a weaker outfit than last year. Be interesting to see how the Bulls cope after last year's success and if they can maintain their dominance in Pretoria. Stormers could be the dark horses with their new signings of Habana and Fourie.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Blues vs Canes
Force vs Brumbies
Cheetahs vs Bulls
Crusaders vs Highlanders
Reds vs Tahs
Lions vs Stormers
Sharks vs Chiefs

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
A reminder that the competition begins tonight in just a few hours for any late tipsters. Am heading along to North Harbour Stadium for the opening game between the Blues and the Hurricanes, looking forward to that.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Have to take it pretty seriously this year, my fiance and I are tipping on behalf of a former player in the RUPA tipping comp and we're pretty keen to win the prize, so any help on tight matches is appreciated. This is the site/prize

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
After tonight's match I may have to rethink my prediction about the Blues finishing in the top four, as they really fell off the pace badly in the second half after a bright beginning. Brett was particularly good in the opening 30 minutes but was then relatively absent for the rest of the match. Great crowd at North Harbour tonight by the way, hopefully that sets the trend for the other New Zealand venues throughout the rest of the competition.