• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Super 14 2010

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Who's that Number 10 for the Hurricanes? Never heard of him before. Absolutely woeful kicking, passing, and general play display from him I thought. Luckily though, the Brumbies were shocking in everything they did.

Going into the RWC next year, quite concerned at our lack of depth.
Long way off but it looks as though the Kiwis have a few worries

Given their history at WCS with red hot favourites, that'll probably mean they walk it in

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I have put $5 on the Hurricanes.

I am not impressed by the TAB web site's activity report seems to only go back for a month. I want to see all my bets since the beginning of time.

I sent them an email once with such a request. They said they would feed it through to the higher ups.
If you are worried about how much you are spending, keep your own ledger. Any live bets you still have going will be displayed if you choose the "All Live Bets" option. Otherwise, who cares?

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Who's that Number 10 for the Hurricanes? Never heard of him before. Absolutely woeful kicking, passing, and general play display from him I thought. Luckily though, the Brumbies were shocking in everything they did.

Yeah like the other poster said it is the great Aaron Cruden former IRB under 20 world player of the year. He is discussed quite frequently here in the Dominion Post in Wellington.

It is either him or the more woeful Willy Ripia (spelling?) at 1st Five. Willy is the most conservative 1st 5 I have seen a long time. Very unimaginative and likes to kick away possession.

Much prefer watching Cruden play. I thought Cruden had a good running game last night.
His goal kicking was weak. I didn't even know he took kicks at goal. He also put a drop kick into touch on the full.

He looks a million dollars when he plays for Manawatu.

My assessment of the game is that the Hurricanes forwards were loose at the breakdown and gave away turnovers to the opposition. If they went into the tackle with the ball there was no guarantee they would retain possession. This improved in the 2nd half.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
If you are worried about how much you are spending, keep your own ledger. Any live bets you still have going will be displayed if you choose the "All Live Bets" option. Otherwise, who cares?
I would make more bets if I was more involved as a participant. I could see all my past bets where I went wrong. Where I bet too much or not enough. Foolish bets. Good bets etc. Could learn from my mistakes.
If I kept my own ledger you are right I could accomplish all of this.

I do think you could write a business case for this enhancement in terms of 1% more betting revenue from the punters.

You wouldn't be able to "measure" the success easily afterwards however.

BTW my new tactic I think is going to be putting bigger money on sure things. Like the Bulls winning their games. Even if I only get a small pay off it is better than putting your money in the bank. ( I won't get carried away though just doing this for fun)

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year

He was last year's IRB under 20 player of the year and featured prominently in New Zealand's performance in the Under 19 Rugby World Cup. He also overcame a cancer in 2008 just as he was beginning to make his mark on the domestic scene. The media, particularly the Sky commentators, rate him highly and from some of his efforts in the ANZC I tend to share their view. However hes unproven at Super Rugby level and did look out of his depth. Hes now started two games and hardly been comanding in either - and probably the most memorable thing hes been involved in all season is getting nailed by Benson Stanley with his first touch of the ball in the opening game of the season.

I agree that behind Carter we look bare at flyhalf. Donald and Delany have been far from convincing at the Chiefs; the Hurricanes don't even know who their best flyhalf is (Ripia/Cruden/Weepu?); the Highlanders have tried three different players and are still no closer to finding their number one option; at the Crusaders Colin Slade and Daniel Bowden obviously are getting minimal opportunities with Carter available; and Stephen Brett's been excellent in some games, and predictably woeful in others for the Blues. Luke McAlister's starting at second five so I don't really consider him an option.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
That must be the first time in three years :-O
He was pretty impressive last week too - I don't know how favoured Pienaar is for the South African second flyhalf spot behind Morne Steyn but with the way Grant's been playing over the last few weeks I'd say hes putting the pressure on.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good second half coming up in the Bulls-Reds match

Bit of composure and the Reds could run over the Bulls

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Good second half coming up in the Bulls-Reds match

Bit of composure and the Reds could run over the Bulls
And indeed they did. Pretty similar strategy employed by the Reds that was also used by the Blues in defeating the Bulls - keep the ball in hand so not to give away penalties within kicking range to Morne Steyn, run it back from everywhere in the first half to tire the Bulls' forwards and hang on for the final 15-20 minutes for the win. Entertaining game in the end.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Thanks for the thoughts guys. Sounds like he may improve at Super level if he's given plenty of match time based on what you've all said.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
BTW my new tactic I think is going to be putting bigger money on sure things. Like the Bulls winning their games. Even if I only get a small pay off it is better than putting your money in the bank. ( I won't get carried away though just doing this for fun)
No such thing as a certainty. :happy:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Good game. Reds are a joy to watch and even the Bulls had thoughts of playing running rugby. Shame they were dead on their feet half hour into the game.

Result not that important for the Bulls as they won't have a home semi/final/super 14 title banker due to the football World Cup. Will be playing in Soweto if they finish top two.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Result not that important for the Bulls as they won't have a home semi/final/super 14 title banker due to the football World Cup. Will be playing in Soweto if they finish top two.
I disagree somewhat as I still think playing in South Africa is crucial if they're to take the title, even if Pretoria's not available - the travel factor after 14 weeks always kicks in around finals time and having to venture to Christchurch/Sydney/Canberra/Brisbane would be a huge disadvantage IMO. I would still pick them to win in Johannesburg against the Crusaders/Waratahs/Brumbies/Reds but wouldn't if they had to travel to Australasia.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Can't see the Bulls missing out on the top two. They'll get a bonus point against Johannesburg because they concede tries for fun, they play KZN at altitude, and they should beat Christchurch at home too. Some proper Newlands weather and the Stormers match will end 16-18 with one try too.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
No such thing as a certainty. :happy:
I nearly put money on the Bulls last night but changed my mind when I saw how close the reds were behind them in the standings. Just as well. I will save my money for when the Bulls are playing a lowly ranked team.

ripper868

International Coach
Reds :wub:

Awesome game, just awesome, and had a couple of passes stuck for either team it could have just as easily been something like 38-31 or somesuch.

Suncorp was rocking last night, awesome atmosphere, hopefully hit 30k on friday vs stormers, **** i :wub: the reds.

Craig

World Traveller
Jarrod Saffy will switch from NRL side St George Illawarra to the Melbourne Rebels next season and will play at no 7 or no 8.