• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Super 14 2009 Discussion and Fantasy League

cometer

State Regular
Canes, Jesus that was brutal.
They would have destroyed any side in the competition the way they played tonight. Didn't help the Brumbies had a truckload of players out, but I don't think it would have made too much of a difference. Everything the Hurricanes tried turned to gold.

That was the worst ever losing margin against the Brumbies in the history of super rugby, the most points conceded in a game against the Brumbies in super rugby and the most unanswered points in a game against the Brumbies in super rugby. A few club records set there, all of which will want to be quickly forgotten.

Fortunately with the Blues losing to the Reds and the Crusaders losing to the Cheetahs, the final 4 spots are still up for grabs.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Blues must have been pretty average then if the reds were dropping pills but still put 30 on them...was it the reds aiming up or the blues being useless? (didn't get to watch the game obv)
I only started watching the second half and the Reds had already had 30 on the board but in the space of ten minutes of just watching, they spurned about 3 guilt edge try scoring opportunities (Quade Cooper the usual offender).

3 shocks this weekend, Stormers beating the Highlanders, the Reds of course and the Cheethas all but killing the Crusaders S14 hopes. Not a great week for us CW 'tipsters'. :)

cometer

State Regular
Crusaders are far from gone. They're 4 points outside the 4. They win all 3 games they can get 15 points. Given they've got the Lions (winnable), Reds (winnable) and Blues there's no reason they can't finish 3rd or 4th.

42 points will make the finals. Quite possibly 40 will too.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Crusaders are far from gone. They're 4 points outside the 4. They win all 3 games they can get 15 points. Given they've got the Lions (winnable), Reds (winnable) and Blues there's no reason they can't finish 3rd or 4th.

42 points will make the finals. Quite possibly 40 will too.
Be very tough as they haven't looked all season like really hammering a side and yesterday they tested their bench depth and it didn't look all that pretty.

Canes for me are through and then it is a battle between the Bulls, Blues, Chiefs, Sharks and the Force for the remaining 3 places.

cometer

State Regular
Be very tough as they haven't looked all season like really hammering a side and yesterday they tested their bench depth and it didn't look all that pretty.

Canes for me are through and then it is a battle between the Bulls, Blues, Chiefs, Sharks and the Force for the remaining 3 places.

Yeah, it will be tough but they're not out yet. Just like the Brumbies theoretically aren't out yet either.

Hurricanes should be safe unless they lose the remaining games. Bulls should be safe for a home semi too, they've got the Cheetahs to play at home and will most likely end up in a 40-50pt win to them.

That then leaves the Chiefs,Sharks,Blues,Force,Waratahs,Crusaders and Brumbies fighting out for the final 2 spots. I still stand by my prediction that the Crusaders and Sharks will make the 4, although it certainly wasn't helped by the loss to the Cheetahs.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I still wouldn't count out the Crusaders, even after their surprise loss against the Cheetahs, games to come against the Lions and Reds, and woeful Blues should give them plenty of opportunity to make the top four. The Hurricanes look certain and with the Bulls beating the Chiefs you'd be brave to bet against them making the top four.

If the Waratahs are to stand any chance of making the semis I think they'd have to beat the Sharks and I can't see that happening, and for the Brumbies, they'd have to beat the Chiefs in Hamilton which, after last weekend, looks unlikely. Even the Force have a chance but they've got two tough matches in South Africa. So, I still think the Sharks will take the final semi-final spot, ahead of the Chiefs.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I only started watching the second half and the Reds had already had 30 on the board but in the space of ten minutes of just watching, they spurned about 3 guilt edge try scoring opportunities (Quade Cooper the usual offender).

3 shocks this weekend, Stormers beating the Highlanders, the Reds of course and the Cheethas all but killing the Crusaders S14 hopes. Not a great week for us CW 'tipsters'. :)
The Blues vs Reds game was the only one I watched in its entirety, thought the Reds were excellent and although the Blues grabbed a few late tries, for 60 minutes only one team was in the match. Barnes had a superb game and although Ioane spilt the ball a couple of times, he was lethal for the most part.

I will mention that there was a bizarre occurance when the flightlights at the northern end of the ground went off leaving one half of the field in ridiculously low light, leading to a 50 minute delay - and its not the first time North Harbour Stadium has been problematic like that (a Blues vs Sharks game a few years ago was also delayed due to a false fire alarm).

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Week Eleven Results (out of 6):
BoyBrumby 3
Cometer 3
Ripper868 3
Somerset 3
TT Boy 3
Samuel_Vimes 2
Simon 2
Voltman 2

Standings after week eleven:
Cometer 47
Somerset 46
TT Boy 45
BoyBrumby 43
Voltman 41
Ripper868 40
Samuel_Vimes 40
Simon 34
Clapo 26
99* 22
Luffy 9

-----

Week Twelve fixtures:
Hurricanes vs Blues
Lions vs Crusaders
Cheetahs vs Waratahs
Resd vs Brumbies
Sharks vs Highlanders
Bulls vs Force
Stormers vs Chiefs

ripper868

International Coach
Hurricanes vs Blues
Lions vs Crusaders
Cheetahs vs Waratahs
Reds vs Brumbies
Sharks vs Highlanders
Bulls vs Force
Stormers vs Chiefs

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hurricanes vs Blues
Lions vs Crusaders
Cheetahs vs Waratahs
Resd vs Brumbies
Sharks vs Highlanders
Bulls vs Force
Stormers vs Chiefs

cometer

State Regular
Hurricanes vs Blues
Lions vs Crusaders
Cheetahs vs Waratahs
Reds vs Brumbies
Sharks vs Highlanders
Bulls vs Force
Stormers vs Chiefs

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Hurricanes vs Blues
Lions vs Crusaders
Cheetahs vs Waratahs
Reds vs Brumbies
Sharks vs Highlanders
Bulls vs Force
Stormers vs Chiefs

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Cheetahs vs Waratahs
Lions vs Crusaders
Hurricanes vs Blues
Stormers vs Chiefs
Sharks vs Highlanders
Bulls vs Force
Reds vs Brumbies

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Blues getting smashed in Wellington - 35-14 at half time. I said to a friend not to be surprised if the Canes post 50 points tonight, and with the pace of this match it'd be a major shock if they didn't score at least another few tries in the second half.

cometer

State Regular
question is whether the Hurricanes have peaked too early. Looks like it's going to get them a home semi and possibly final, but whether they can continue this incredible offense is another thing. They still aren't playing as well as last week though.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
question is whether the Hurricanes have peaked too early. Looks like it's going to get them a home semi and possibly final, but whether they can continue this incredible offense is another thing. They still aren't playing as well as last week though.
I called it. :cool:

cometer

State Regular
and I bagged it at the time. I seriously didn't think they would come out and destroy teams like they've done the past 2 weeks. Things could still turn sour if they lose to the Chiefs and Reds but it's looking a much likely prospect then it was 2 weeks ago.