• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Super 14 2009 Discussion and Fantasy League

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Sharks will be thankful for their bye weekend, been a terrible couple of weeks.

Crusaders and the New Zealand sides are now flexing their collective muscles and if the Sharks and Bulls don’t pull their finger out, it could be an all New Zealand affair. Canes are looking real good.

Good victory from the Lions against the Reds. A real shock considering they were missing Fourie and captain, Baywatch.

ripper868

International Coach
Sharks will be thankful for their bye weekend, been a terrible couple of weeks.

Crusaders and the New Zealand sides are now flexing their collective muscles and if the Sharks and Bulls don’t pull their finger out, it could be an all New Zealand affair. Canes are looking real good.

Good victory from the Lions against the absolutly useless and rudderless Reds. A real shock considering they were missing Fourie and captain, Baywatch.
fixed

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
The Reds vs Lions game was actually one of the more entertaining matches I watched during the weekend. Really good stuff from the Lions especially when they were down to 13 but to be fair, half their tries were gifted to them by Queensland.

I think the Crusaders have basically booked themselves a spot in the semi finals with their win against the Sharks, they've got relatively easy matches to come and now have McCaw back. Bulls have three home games before facing the Sharks in the last round so should have enough points before that match to book a semi final spot. Chiefs face the Bulls and Stormers in South Africa and then the Hurricanes back in New Zealand, and with Sivivatu, Masaga, Leonard and possibly Kahui out, I don't necessarily think they're guaranteed a semi final spot yet. Hurricanes have a fairly good draw so I'd back them to the semis. So IMO the Sharks and Chiefs will be fighting over the other top four spot.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Week Ten Results (out of 7):
Cometer 5
Samuel_Vimes 5
BoyBrumby 4
Ripper868 4
TT Boy 4
Voltman 4
Simon 3
Somerset 3

Standings after week ten:
Cometer 44
Somerset 43
TT Boy 42
BoyBrumby 40
Voltman 39
Samuel_Vimes 38
Ripper868 37
Simon 32
Clapo 26
99* 22
Luffy 9

-----

Week Eleven fixtures:
Highlanders vs Stormers
Force vs Lions
Blues vs Reds
Hurricanes vs Brumbies
Cheetahs vs Crusaders
Bulls vs Chiefs

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Highlanders vs Stormers
Force vs Lions
Blues vs Reds
Hurricanes vs Brumbies
Cheetahs vs Crusaders
Bulls vs Chiefs

ripper868

International Coach
The Reds vs Lions game was actually one of the more entertaining matches I watched during the weekend. Really good stuff from the Lions especially when they were down to 13 but to be fair, half their tries were gifted to them by Queensland.

I will give the reds that, at least they are throwing it around and playing attractive footy, but equaly you cant just play that footy all the time, especially when your going ot drop the pill and just watch as the opposition races 70 m to score against the run of play...I think the reds had something like 65% possession, full credit to the lions Defense but the reds must have lost the ability to cross the gain line or something...if only they could produce like they did against the sharks, that was super rugby.

ripper868

International Coach
Highlanders vs Stormers
Force vs Lions
Blues vs Reds
Hurricanes vs Brumbies
Cheetahs vs Crusaders
Bulls vs Chiefs

cometer

State Regular
So IMO the Sharks and Chiefs will be fighting over the other top four spot.
A lot depends on this weekend. An upset win for the Brumbies over the Hurricanes could change the equation as the Hurricanes have to play the Blues at home, Chiefs and Reds away and they haven't got the greatest record in Brisbane if my memory serves me correctly.

The two critical matches for me this weekend are Bulls v Chiefs and Hurricanes v Brumbies. I think whoever loses those matches are in for a tough last few weeks.

At this stage I'd be inclined to think Bulls and Sharks to make the four, then it's a 5 way battle for the next two spots amongst Hurricanes,Crusaders,Chiefs,Blues and Brumbies. Only problem I see with the Brumbies chances is the amount of injuries we've picked up in the past 2 weeks.

Hurricanes would probably also be my 3rd choice for a top 4 assuming they win this weekend (which they should do).

So I'd be predicting:

Bulls
Sharks
Hurricanes
Crusaders

as my final top 4, with the Chiefs 5th, Brumbies 6th and Blues or Waratahs 7th/8th.

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
A lot depends on this weekend. An upset win for the Brumbies over the Hurricanes could change the equation as the Hurricanes have to play the Blues at home, Chiefs and Reds away and they haven't got the greatest record in Brisbane if my memory serves me correctly.

The two critical matches for me this weekend are Bulls v Chiefs and Hurricanes v Brumbies. I think whoever loses those matches are in for a tough last few weeks.

At this stage I'd be inclined to think Bulls and Sharks to make the four, then it's a 5 way battle for the next two spots amongst Hurricanes,Crusaders,Chiefs,Blues and Brumbies. Only problem I see with the Brumbies chances is the amount of injuries we've picked up in the past 2 weeks.

Hurricanes would probably also be my 3rd choice for a top 4 assuming they win this weekend (which they should do).

So I'd be predicting:

Bulls
Sharks
Hurricanes
Crusaders

as my final top 4, with the Chiefs 5th, Brumbies 6th and Blues or Waratahs 7th/8th.
Its hard for most to believe that the Chiefs could miss out given they're top of the table but I wouldn't be surprised if you're correct in predicting that they'll finish fifth. I think the Hurricanes are fairly safe, I can't see the Brumbies threatening much in Wellington, and with the Reds' current form I don't think home ground advantage is going to be much good. Facing the Chiefs in Hamilton could be interesting but I still think the Canes will secure enough points for a semi.

With the Crusaders, they face the Lions, Cheetahs and Reds (12-13-14 if I recall correctly) and again, home advantage for the Lions and Cheetahs shouldn't stop the Crusaders securing victories against all three teams, and pick up a semi final spot. I think the Brumbies' season depends on their match this weekend and if they don't win, I'd say their chances are gone, even with games still to come against the Reds and Blues that they'll be favourites to win.

Last edited:

cometer

State Regular
Yeah, this week is pretty important if the Brumbies have any chance of making the 4 but it's also important for the Bulls,Chiefs and Hurricanes if they have ambitions of not only making the 4 but earn a home semi and possible final.

I think 4th spot will be somewhere between the usual 40-42pt range so everyone in sight of that mark have a chance. We'll start seeing those just clinging on drop off quickly soon anyway.

Hurricanes have the same draw for the next 4 weeks as the Hurricanes excluding home/away issues, so anything is possible. The difference is that the Hurricanes have 2 of those at home.

Will be an interesting weekend.

cometer

State Regular
Highlanders vs Stormers
Force vs Lions
Blues vs Reds
Hurricanes vs Brumbies
Cheetahs vs Crusaders
Bulls vs Chiefs

ripper868

International Coach
Gah, tip the reds all ****ing year until now...stoked they did win however, gives the force a chance to rep aus in the finals.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Canes, Jesus that was brutal.

And the Reds would have put 50 on the Blues if not for handling errors.

ripper868

International Coach
Blues must have been pretty average then if the reds were dropping pills but still put 30 on them...was it the reds aiming up or the blues being useless? (didn't get to watch the game obv)