• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stuart MacGill arrested

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Serious question for the room - WTF happened to this guy? I'm sure he was always teetering on the edge, but throughout his career we never heard anything, and he seemingly managed to keep a semi-respectable commentating career for decades without major incident - even though he was no doubt fully immersed in temptation with plenty of discretionary income, travel, adulation etc. I don't get it.

But now, for whatever reason, he's gone to what Bill Simmons (great US sports writer) called the Tyson Zone - where anything he does wouldn't be a surprise. He could retire to the backblocks to raise pigeons, star in the Hangover 4, punch a woman in the face, bite a man in the ear and anyone would say 'oh yep, that's Slats'
Has allegedly had mental health issues for years and spiralled out of control due to problems in his personal life

Been a few of them recently

Funny how Symonds turned out to be one of the normal, well adjusted former players

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I am the ultimate alpha male. I only climax for 1 of 2 reasons. I either climax for the purpose of reproduction with a beautiful woman (because that's the only kind of woman worthy of me) or I climax for the purpose of free protein. I need immense protein to maintain my ultimate alpha male body, and 4-5 *** loads a day is sufficient for me. It's not gay it its mine, but I wouldn't expect you pathetic beta males to understand. I bet you waste your seed into napkins, tissue, and tube socks. How sad, wasting all that protein. Wasting all those offspring. Its optimal for me to masturbate with my legs over my head so I can practice stretching before my workout while I obtain my protein. All the gym betas in the locker room just look away in disgust, but again, I wouldn't be offended by an asshole who only focus on vanity muscles. You beta losers better start acting like real men.
I think we can 100% say only the latter of the 2 climax cases has ever occurred.

Of course, if you have managed to reproduce with a beautiful woman whilst also consuming your own seed, perhaps you have much to teach us, oh wise one.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Serious question for the room - WTF happened to this guy? I'm sure he was always teetering on the edge, but throughout his career we never heard anything, and he seemingly managed to keep a semi-respectable commentating career for decades without major incident - even though he was no doubt fully immersed in temptation with plenty of discretionary income, travel, adulation etc. I don't get it.

But now, for whatever reason, he's gone to what Bill Simmons (great US sports writer) called the Tyson Zone - where anything he does wouldn't be a surprise. He could retire to the backblocks to raise pigeons, star in the Hangover 4, punch a woman in the face, bite a man in the ear and anyone would say 'oh yep, that's Slats'
I'm legitimately worried the next time we hear Slater's name in the media it's in the obituary columns.

Chrish

International Debutant
I am the ultimate alpha male. I only climax for 1 of 2 reasons. I either climax for the purpose of reproduction with a beautiful woman (because that's the only kind of woman worthy of me) or I climax for the purpose of free protein. I need immense protein to maintain my ultimate alpha male body, and 4-5 *** loads a day is sufficient for me. It's not gay it its mine, but I wouldn't expect you pathetic beta males to understand. I bet you waste your seed into napkins, tissue, and tube socks. How sad, wasting all that protein. Wasting all those offspring. Its optimal for me to masturbate with my legs over my head so I can practice stretching before my workout while I obtain my protein. All the gym betas in the locker room just look away in disgust, but again, I wouldn't be offended by an asshole who only focus on vanity muscles. You beta losers better start acting like real men.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

I believe he’s been diagnosed as bipolar since he finished playing. One of those situations where you look back on some things which happened along the way and they sort of fit.

At the 2001 AB Medal he was up on stage at the end of the night absolute toasted with a glass of red wine spilling all over the place as he sang along with Jimmy Barnes. Completely off tap. As a one off, hilarious. But in hindsight it was a sign he wasn’t doing very well.

Then they went to india and there was that terrible incident where he blew up at Dravid on the field when the latter didn’t walk after Slater took what he considered to be a fair catch. This wasn’t a minor sort of blow up or shake of the head. The guy was so close to completely losing it. Apparently on the tour he became increasingly introverted and highly strung

Then they went to England and the reports were he was out on the piss during the fourth test which they’d lost and so they dropped him for the last. I don’t know if that was right or not, but Steve Waugh is quoted as saying the way he handled Slater’s behaviour and dropping during that period was arguably his biggest regret as a captain.

I suspect after he retired he was diagnosed and treated properly for quite a while, but it’s no secret to say he’s completely spiralled in recent years. Weirdly, he held down a gig hosting a breakfast sports radio show in Sydney for probably six or seven years, and tbh he was really good at it. Which doesn’t sit with someone who was out of whack at that time.

It’s a very sad demise. His son played in a tourney which my young bloke was running up on the Sunny Coast last year and Slater came up to watch a few games.Young bloke had a chat with him and said he seemed a really decent bloke. Then not a few weeks later he was back in the news for all the wrong reasons. Guess it shows how random these things can be.

Not excusing any of the DV stuff btw, that’s reprehensible. Am just noting the guy has very big issues. As Morgie said, it wouldn’t surprise me if it all ended up in the worst of scenarios sooner rather than later.

social

2 very different cases from the little that I know

Slats has made a lot of money since retirement in commentary/cricket related stuff and couldn’t have done it if he wasn’t well regarded or liked by players & establishment

MacGill is arguably top 10-15 spinners in history but has always been a complete outsider

Also relatively intelligent as far as cricketers go so there had to be an underlying reason as to why he was never accepted

Last edited:

Shady Slim

International Coach
I believe he’s been diagnosed as bipolar since he finished playing. One of those situations where you look back on some things which happened along the way and they sort of fit.

At the 2001 AB Medal he was up on stage at the end of the night absolute toasted with a glass of red wine spilling all over the place as he sang along with Jimmy Barnes. Completely off tap. As a one off, hilarious. But in hindsight it was a sign he wasn’t doing very well.

Then they went to india and there was that terrible incident where he blew up at Dravid on the field when the latter didn’t walk after Slater took what he considered to be a fair catch. This wasn’t a minor sort of blow up or shake of the head. The guy was so close to completely losing it. Apparently on the tour he became increasingly introverted and highly strung

Then they went to England and the reports were he was out on the piss during the fourth test which they’d lost and so they dropped him for the last. I don’t know if that was right or not, but Steve Waugh is quoted as saying the way he handled Slater’s behaviour and dropping during that period was arguably his biggest regret as a captain.

I suspect after he retired he was diagnosed and treated properly for quite a while, but it’s no secret to say he’s completely spiralled in recent years. Weirdly, he held down a gig hosting a breakfast sports radio show in Sydney for probably six or seven years, and tbh he was really good at it. Which doesn’t sit with someone who was out of whack at that time.

It’s a very sad demise. His son played in a tourney which my young bloke was running up on the Sunny Coast last year and Slater came up to watch a few games.Young bloke had a chat with him and said he seemed a really decent bloke. Then not a few weeks later he was back in the news for all the wrong reasons. Guess it shows how random these things can be.

Not excusing any of the DV stuff btw, that’s reprehensible. Am just noting the guy has very big issues. As Morgie said, it wouldn’t surprise me if it all ended up in the worst of scenarios sooner rather than later.
yeah mate of mine who i used to play cricket with won a ticket to one of those legends pissup tours to hong kong which slats led, and ran into slats at a bar along the tour one on one when they happened to both decide to venture there later on during the night. said they just sat there chatting like for hours and he was the loveliest most down to earth bloke you could meet.

obviously like you allude to, you hear so often about dv perpetrators "oh he's such a good bloke though!" but when you've got these mental health considerations on the periphery it's really tough

Son Of Coco

yeah mate of mine who i used to play cricket with won a ticket to one of those legends pissup tours to hong kong which slats led, and ran into slats at a bar along the tour one on one when they happened to both decide to venture there later on during the night. said they just sat there chatting like for hours and he was the loveliest most down to earth bloke you could meet.

obviously like you allude to, you hear so often about dv perpetrators "oh he's such a good bloke though!" but when you've got these mental health considerations on the periphery it's really tough
When we played a one off game against NSW in 2011, he was one of the nicest blokes in the team off the pitch (along with Brad Haddin, which many will find hard to believe). As others have said, it doesn't excuse the DV stuff at all. Guys can be great to other men and absolutely awful to women.

Shady Slim

International Coach
When we played a one off game against NSW in 2011, he was one of the nicest blokes in the team off the pitch (along with Brad Haddin, which many will find hard to believe). As others have said, it doesn't excuse the DV stuff at all. Guys can be great to other men and absolutely awful to women.
oh yeah no doubts whatsoever, just, as i'm more than sure you'd agree when you've got substance abuse disorders or other mental health conditions simmering along in the background the pathology of the offending's a lot more complex than just oh bloke's a downright jerk

quincywagstaff

International Debutant

I read Slater's autobio from the mid-00s. Interesting read.

Says that after the AB Medal incident and before the India tour, he was asked by a cricket administrator whether he had a drug problem. He was shocked by this accusation buy tbf, he admitted he was caught smoking marijuana by Mark Nicholas when commentating for C4 back in 2000.

Seemed like his marriage breakup around this time caused a bit of discontent within the team as well and the perception that he was going off the rails.

Clearly disliked Waugh as a captain during this period, felt much more trusting of Taylor's captaincy.