• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Streak Sacked As Zimbabwe Captain

rolande

School Boy/Girl Captain
the demands were infact stated in cricinfo article and they were for Heath Streak to be reinstated as captain and he had also denied resigning or retiring they should ban the zcu and have a zambia one cause they all could move to zambia or have a ICC owned zimbabwe cricket Body which is based some where else but play with zimbabwean cricketers and graeme hick was a genius for going to england he'd be in there teribble situation had he not and andy flower should have gone to play for his birth country south africa

Langeveldt

Soutie
Im sure Andy Flower has no regrets about a fine international career as a Zimbabwean cricketer.. only the way it had to end..

How would Mugabe let the ZCU pack up and move to Zambia?? And why Zambia lol.....

They would be better off leaving the ICC and playing in the SA domestic structure as a franchise for a few years....

rolande

School Boy/Girl Captain
i said zambia caue it is the succesful african nation that hasnt turned out like mugabeland a.k.a zimbabwe and it was part of rhodesia before its independence in 1964 plus i didnt mean pack up the zcu i ment ban it and make it like they did to South Africa but get the ICC to make there own rep side for zimbabwe thats owned by the ICC and not Zimbabwe like they did to world series cricket by aussie entrepreneur Kerry Packer who is the richest aussie thanks to rupert murdoch decision to become an american 20 years ago

Loony BoB

International Captain
They'll have to find a team to play the matches they have scheduled unless even more politics comes in to play.

I doubt they would all be white. There have been dark skinned Zimbabwe cricketers that have made a stand against Mugabe beforehand. And yes, I think there are around 10-16 players that are ready to resign. It'll be a sad day in the world of cricket when we lose Zimbabwe as a team - I too wish there was a way for them to regroup under a different flag, but unfortunately I think they were just playing for the wrong country. :( Talk about unfair, but isn't that life? Sad...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Langeveldt said:
15/16 going?? Surely they cannot carry on in the ICC after that?! whats the point in even speculating?

Apparently the deadline is Wednesday for answers.

Otherwise they go.

They don't want to play under one so young apparently.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Apparently the deadline is Wednesday for answers.

Otherwise they go.

They don't want to play under one so young apparently.
Reading between the lines, they do not want to play under a political appointee

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Comparisons against last week's Logan Cup sides

Manicaland are missing: Neil Ferreira and Barney Rogers [Mahwire batting at five!!]
Midlands are missing: Terrence Duffin, Travis Friend, Craig Wishart, Sean Ervine and Craig Ervine (Sean's little brother, played U19 WC)
Mashonaland are missing: Dion Ebrahim
Matabeleland are missing: Heath Streak

I think we can safely add Grant Flower and Andy Blignaut to that list as they're the players' representatives at the "showdown meeting".

Also, the following players didn't play Logan Cup this week but have played Internationally recently: Alistair Campbell, Stuart Carlisle, Craig Evans, Trevor Gripper, Stuart Matsikenyeri, Ray Price, Mark Vermeulen.

Langeveldt

Soutie
rolande said:
i said zambia caue it is the succesful african nation that hasnt turned out like mugabeland a.k.a zimbabwe

I think they had the same situation as Zimbobwe.. only a long time back...

How do the board have any clout?? the players are all prepared to leave, so how can the board assume any more power?

meatspx

U19 Cricketer
The ICC has disgraced itself with it's conduct on the Zimbabwe issue (or non-issue in their opinion).

A) Mugabe's regime on some accounts is as brutal, if not more oppressive, than South Africa's apartheid era. Yet a ban was imposed on South Africa, and hasn't been enacted on Zimbabwe.

B) The World Cup should have never been played in Zimbabwe. It's one thing for Zimbabwe to compete in it, but to host your sport's premier event in a murderous dictorship is another thing. (Anyone hear the story about the boy who protested at one of the games, was detained by the government, and repeatedly raped? He probably has HIV/AIDS now).
If teams can opt out of touring on safety grounds, then they should not tour Zimbabwe due to the security risks of such a tour to the Zimbabwean people.

C) The ZCU is a political organ of Mugabe. Quoted from the Cricinfo article :

"What is emerging is that Bvute is perhaps the most powerful figure within the ZCU. His appointment was made by the ruling Zanu PF party, and local observers say that he is charged with ensuring 'political loyalty' to Mugabe. Last year"

Bvute made the decision to ban the 12 Zimbabwean players, and has behind the sacking of Olongo/Flower. He is in communicaton with the ministry of information, and THREATENED THE HEALTH of anyone who opposed the re-election of Mugabe as the ZCU's patron.

You can't use the argument that sports and politics shouldn't mix when a dictatorship is deliberatly embroiling itself in the affairs of the ZCU and decimating cricket in the country.

The current Zimbabwean team should be banned. In my opinion an alternative team based outside of Zimbabwe should be set-up. Players residing outside of Zimbabwe and players who have been forced to retire should be given the opportunity to play. One-day caps should be given, and test caps should be considered if the team is competitive enough. The ICC can financially support the side (they have enough $$ and it won't cost much anyway). The team does not have to be full-time, rather assemble for 4-5 months each year. Zimbabwe will still be represented, but unfortunatly black players will be short on number, and this will give Mugabe an excuse to paint it as racist.....but who cares what he thinks. The only reason why this situation won't eventuate is because anyone who plays for this team will risk the health of their relatives/ family back home in Zimbabwe (reprisal oppression), and because the ICC doesn't have enough balls and insight.

Last edited:
Neil Pickup said:
Also, the following players didn't play Logan Cup this week but have played Internationally recently: Alistair Campbell, Stuart Carlisle, Craig Evans, Trevor Gripper, Stuart Matsikenyeri, Ray Price, Mark Vermeulen.
Stuart Matsikenyeri is black and as I understand, all the players who were sacked are white.

rolande

School Boy/Girl Captain
in my opinion England DefinitelyDefinitely wont go and australia wont either. sri lanka will cause murali would break the test wicket-taking record first that way

rolande

School Boy/Girl Captain
lets face it within 6 monthes heathg streak and the rest of the former zimbabwe squad will prolly be in a commonwealth country hidin from mugabe and his police

Slow Love™

International Captain
rolande said:
in my opinion England DefinitelyDefinitely wont go and australia wont either. sri lanka will cause murali would break the test wicket-taking record first that way
If the tour is on in any regard, Australia is likely to go, because our cricket administration operates in the same moral vacuum as the ICC. I feel particularly sorry for the ECB, as well as the Zimbabwean cricketers, and I agree completely with meatspx - the ICC has completely disgraced itself on this issue (and that's without mentioning its handling of corporate sponsorship matters).

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
A good article which pretty well emphasises the impression I get that England are in an impossible situation. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

If England do not tour, the full weight of the ICC (yeah) will come crashing down upon them, and the fine will be of Draconian proportions. If England do tour (and that appears to be the situation at present) then they are seen as upholders of an oppressive regime.

It (Zimbabwe) comes down to a simple question, and it is one which many people cannot face. Is it possible for white people to be racially discriminated against?

Zimbabwe 2004 = South Africa 1970.