• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Streak Sacked As Zimbabwe Captain

Loony BoB

International Captain
Majin said:
Okay, so I can't remember where I saw the handed in resignation to all forms of cricket thing, but yeah. He might be leaving the team alltogether.
http://onesport.nzoom.com/sport_detail/0,1278,265292-2-17,00.html

Heath Streak has resigned as Zimbabwe captain and has been replaced by vice-captain Tatenda Taibu, the Zimbabwe Cricket Union (ZCU) said on Saturday.

"Streak raised a number of issues and demanded that they be met by Monday or else he would resign from all forms of cricket," said a ZCU statement on its website.

"Instead of accepting his demands, the ZCU board unanimously accepted his resignation from all forms of cricket with immediate effect."

Wicketkeeper Taibu, who is only 20 years old, will take charge for Zimbabwe's home two-test series against Sri Lanka in two weeks' time.

Streak, who has played 59 Tests and 183 one-dayers, was in his second spell as captain but has had limited success.

The 30-year-old lead his side to a laboured 2-1 victory over Bangladesh in a one-day international series last month.

Streak recently signed for English side Warwickshire as one of their overseas players for the coming county season.

It'll be nice to hear it from Streak instead of Zimbabwe, mind you.

It's kind of sad that these guys can't just pack up and head to a different country, because they're clearly getting different treatment out that way, and this game shouldn't have this sorta stuff.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Taibu is a champ, and should definatley be in the team.

Grant Flower doesn't exactly strike me as someone who would be a good captain...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I have a lot of time for Taibu myself - I rate him extremely highly in wicket-keeping terms.

I think, suffice to say, that Zimbabwe cricket is in a total mess and the whole thing could even fall in on itself in the next few months.

Shame we can't say the same for the country's non-esteemed leader.

Warne is god

U19 12th Man
Poor bloke, he always gives 150%, but has such an untalented team around him. Victoria are going after Shane Watson, if we don't get him i'm sure everyone would agree that Heath is a very very good alternative

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm confused.

Common knowledge has it that the ZCU are in the politicians' pockets, yet you post a Cricinfo article to support that supposition.

That's a contradiction in terms :D .

Seriously, I cannot see any future for Zimbabwe as an international outfit under the current regime - and continuing cricketing links with them at the moment fills me with the same concern I felt over South Africa's involvement in international cricket in the 1960's.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Yeh, what happens post Mugabe will be important, and maybe we can start seeing a quality zim team playing again.. That wont happen for a long time though..

I think for the moment we have just got to wait, and hope that the damage done isnt too terminal.... At least guys at grass roots are playing cricket and there is talent around...

Langeveldt

Soutie
luckyeddie said:
I'm confused.

Common knowledge has it that the ZCU are in the politicians' pockets, yet you post a Cricinfo article to support that supposition.

That's a contradiction in terms :D .

Basically we have known that, and now they are going to slowly start to admit that they are part of Mugabe's Zimbabwe.... Kind of like making it official...

I hope thats when the **** hits the fan, im starting to hope all sides stop tours to Zimbobwe after reading the Streak article... But it has to be everyone.... (which of course will never happen)

Tony Blade

U19 Cricketer
jamesryfler said:
Western leaders are so hypocritical.
You berate Mugabe for ruling his country with an iron fist yet you cosy up to Musharraf just because you need his assistance.

I don't see any difference between the two --- just ask the minority Christian, Hindu and Kalash communities how they have felt under the so called "democracy" in Pakistan.

Let's face it the concept of freedom and democracy as defined by Bush and his sidekicks Blair and Howard is a selective one.
Please do not make such comments about a country that you know little or nothing about,

Warne is god

U19 12th Man
jamesryfler said:
Western leaders are so hypocritical.
You berate Mugabe for ruling his country with an iron fist yet you cosy up to Musharraf just because you need his assistance.

I don't see any difference between the two --- just ask the minority Christian, Hindu and Kalash communities how they have felt under the so called "democracy" in Pakistan.

Let's face it the concept of freedom and democracy as defined by Bush and his sidekicks Blair and Howard is a selective one.

Careful mate, and its pretty bloody obvious why Taibus captian.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
i haven't read all of this thread but is their no longer a Zimbabwe cricket team!:O :O

ps.New ICC update :P

Langeveldt

Soutie
jamee999 said:
i haven't read all of this thread but is their no longer a Zimbabwe cricket team!:O :O

ps.New ICC update :P

Of course there is a Zimbabwe team...

The said part is, it isnt really representing the country....

Loony BoB

International Captain
So, what do you guys think? Will the board give in or will the players be walking? I seriously hope the players win this thing. I'd miss having a true Zimbabwe team in the world. Even if they aren't one of the big boys, they still show wonderful spirit for the game (when politics isn't involved).

Langeveldt

Soutie
Loony BoB said:
So, what do you guys think? Will the board give in or will the players be walking? I seriously hope the players win this thing. I'd miss having a true Zimbabwe team in the world. Even if they aren't one of the big boys, they still show wonderful spirit for the game (when politics isn't involved).

They play the game in the way it was intended, even if they arent the best... Thats why i like them...

To be honest I cant see the board giving in... They have Mugabe's regime to answer to and I could see a lot of the players going...

If that were the case, I would rather Zimbabwe were suspended or left the ICC because it isnt nice seeing them field a second eleven and getting mauled every game... Not fair on anyone...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
If the board will kick out Streak, they'll kick out the rest of them.

So who do we reckon the 15/16 are, then?

My guess would be all the whites at least...

Langeveldt

Soutie
Neil Pickup said:
If the board will kick out Streak, they'll kick out the rest of them.

So who do we reckon the 15/16 are, then?

My guess would be all the whites at least...

15/16 going?? Surely they cannot carry on in the ICC after that?! whats the point in even speculating?