• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Strauss Retires From Cricket

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Strauss' stats definitely don't do him justice. Although he was prone to extended lean patches, when in form he was a very good batsman who I was always happy to see the back of as an opposition supporter.

Seems a good bloke. Probably his South Africanness coming out I suppose.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Strauss' stats definitely don't do him justice. Although he was prone to extended lean patches, when in form he was a very good batsman who I was always happy to see the back of as an opposition supporter.

He had an insanely good conversion rate before he took over captaincy; it was the 5th best of all time or something. That's what made him so dangerous in his early years and why it was so important to see the back of him early; he'd make you pay with a ton if you were sloppy up front and let him get away. I think he improved his technique and his stroke-range after he took over the captaincy but his concentration naturally wavered when he had a greater team load on his shoulders and he became a mortal converter of starts and then eventually, near the end, a very poor one.

nexxus

U19 Debutant
Wow, did not see this one about a week ago. Cheers Andy, pretty good opening bat, solid captain for England at a time when they needed a steady hand, just to get them over KP's maniacal reign.

Just read that he wrote letters to the players and support staff. Classy stuff to be sure. Always sad when guys like that exit the stage, Dravid, Laxman, Boucher & now Strauss, the old school retirement run is well and truly underway.

Hard to believe that in a few years, Tendy, Sehwag, Ponting, Hussey, Kallis, Sanga, Mahela, Vettori, Younis Khan & the like will all have taken their bows. I wonder, with the way Cricket is going, if we'll ever see their likes again, guys with truly classical & classy techniques with the battle hardened test temperament to match it. Amla & Trott seem to be made from the same stuff but I'm battling to come up with others.

Last edited:

benchmark00

He had an insanely good conversion rate before he took over captaincy; it was the 5th best of all time or something. That's what made him so dangerous in his early years and why it was so important to see the back of him early; he'd make you pay with a ton if you were sloppy up front and let him get away. I think he improved his technique and his stroke-range after he took over the captaincy but his concentration naturally wavered when he had a greater team load on his shoulders and he became a mortal converter of starts and then eventually, near the end, a very poor one.
Comment on my opinion re: him being a good bloke.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year

Are you saying that's why KP is so much more of a good bloke than Strauss?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Nah, KP being such a bellend is his Englishness coming out, obvz. :ph34r:

Ftr Strauss spent 18 months in Melbourne as a nipper and (IIRC) first picked up a bat down under, so surprised benchy isn't claiming him.

benchmark00

KP is a better bloke than Strauss because I struggle to find anyone who has a bad word to say about him...

Piers Morgan, on the other hand, thinks Strauss is a ****, so that's good enough for me.

benchmark00

Nah, KP being such a bellend is his Englishness coming out, obvz. :ph34r:

Ftr Strauss spent 18 months in Melbourne as a nipper and (IIRC) first picked up a bat down under, so surprised benchy isn't claiming him.
If his average was on the better side of 45 I'd be all for it.

Low 40's indicates Victorian though.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
but like the great man he did get the cane out of the cupboard to give the crims a six-of-the-best, trousers-down British style thrashing in their own backyard and for that I'll always love the man.
Posts like this are why I love Brumby.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Posted this in another thread but I guess this belongs here:

Well done, Strauss. Pretty sure there was a screwup by him and the ECB and the England team with the KP issue but other than that, a solid batsman and a solid captain who stepped up to the plate when England needed him the most. Respect.

slowfinger

International Debutant
KP is a better bloke than Strauss because I struggle to find anyone who has a bad word to say about him...

Piers Morgan, on the other hand, thinks Strauss is a ****, so that's good enough for me.
Piers Morgan also thinks his tweets are hilarious *facepalm* :surrender

stumpski

International Captain
Ted Dexter was the last well-known cricketer to dabble in politics IIRC - running against the then Home Secretary Jim Callaghan. John Arlott stood as a Liberal candidate a couple of times. Perhaps Strauss has been inspired by Imran Khan?