• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stokes Arrested

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
****ing hell.......glad none of you ****s in here are gonna be sitting on the jury. Judge wont know whether to award him the VC or give him life.

I havent seen the vid but how the **** can 100 people see 100 different things?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
****ing hell.......glad none of you ****s in here are gonna be sitting on the jury. Judge wont know whether to award him the VC or give him life.

I havent seen the vid but how the **** can 100 people see 100 different things?
Well, some people are worried about the law of the land and others are more worried about our prospects in the Ashes. :devil2:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I know some of the lawyers around here don't like it... but it is one of the few good things I like about the SA justice system, that guilt is soley decided by the judge based on the law. No juries and emotions, even if it is for purely practical reasons.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The problem with things like this though is that Stokes' guilt hinges on a question of fact (i.e. did he believe he was being threatened?) rather than a question of law. You don't need to be a judge or legal professional (or even academic!) to answer those sorts of questions.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I know some of the lawyers around here don't like it... but it is one of the few good things I like about the SA justice system, that guilt is soley decided by the judge based on the law. No juries and emotions, even if it is for purely practical reasons.
In my criminal defence days I defended people both with judges sitting alone and with juries. I feel there are pluses and minuses to both.

Self-defence cases are ones where a jury can be useful. If you're going to convict someone in circumstances where it appears they might have been acting in self-defence, then it's not a bad idea that the prosecution must first convince a jury of 12 ordinary people (or at least 10 or 11 of them) that what the person did went beyond what was reasonable in the circumstances.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
The problem with things like this though is that Stokes' guilt hinges on a question of fact (i.e. did he believe he was being threatened?) rather than a question of law. You don't need to be a judge or legal professional (or even academic!) to answer those sorts of questions.
No, you just need to be a bit smart. Judging by some of the comments Ive seen in here there is a good argument to have an intelligence test for jurors.

TestMatch

U19 Cricketer
Just saw the footage.

Stokes is lucky he didn't kill the guy. That was a brutal and unnecessary bit of slogging once bottle-guy was down.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Funny when this stuff happens in hockey or rugby we cheer and then sentence the blokes to 5 and 10 minute sentences respectively

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Funny when this stuff happens in hockey or rugby we cheer and then sentence the blokes to 5 and 10 minute sentences respectively
Not in rugby anymore (unsure of hockey) that is a straight red along with probably a couple of match bans. Unless its club rugby... anything goes there.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
No, you just need to be a bit smart. Judging by some of the comments Ive seen in here there is a good argument to have an intelligence test for jurors.
12 men and women who are too stupid to get out of doing jury service.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
He'll probably be banned from all cricket until November the ............... when's the first Test .................. ah 23rd.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
It is really in Strauss's corner as I cannot see this being any more than a police caution. The powers that be still have the pretense that cricket is a genteel sport and they are trying to make the sport more family orientated, appealing to women and children, so they could throw Stokes to the wolves.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It is really in Strauss's corner as I cannot see this being any more than a police caution. The powers that be still have the pretense that cricket is a genteel sport and they are trying to make the sport more family orientated, appealing to women and children, so they could throw Stokes to the wolves.
Are you ****ing kidding?

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This wouldn't be a bad time to ask; how many actual lawyers are there on here? There always seemed to be a few.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Do you apply a subjectivd year in this instance?
Do you mean in terms of thinking about whether someone of his age etc. would be likely to react as he did?

If so the answer is no. The question to be asked is effectively "did the defendant themselves in the situation genuinely feel they were threatened?". No considerations about whether someone of a similar age/gender would have reacted in a comparable way enter into it.