• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stokes Arrested

Hennybogan

U19 12th Man
More like his mate was intervening and stopping me from bashing up his mate who hit my mate with a bottle in the back. So I tried belting him and missed but followed him up the road and king hit him and then bitch slapped the original bottle belting mate.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Burge is right RE: self-defence.

Once the situation is diffused and there is no longer any threat the use of force can no longer be used.

If Stokes still perceived the situation to be threatening to him then that's another matter, but based on what I have seen from the video I find that unlikely.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Watching it clearly Stokes lost his head 2nd half, and Stokes friends were clearly trying to stop him. What this is going to come down to is his previous behaviour, if he has been in a number of these sorts of fights it is going to be bad for him because previous punishment/warnings have not done enough to stop poor behaviour.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It isn't self defense punching the wrong guy to the ground!!
It is if you genuinely believe the wrong guy is the/a threat to you. You can still use the defence of self-defence even if your belief in the need to defend yourself is mistaken.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Good luck with that, as a judge I'd never buy that excuse watching that video.
Neither would I, but that is the legal position. I could see him getting off because of the case not being proven beyond reasonable doubt tbh. Even if everyone is mostly sure as to his guilt.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Didn't notice the second punch went to a different dude. All of my previous posts are nullified by that. Completely unreasonable and some sort of fine and community service perhaps.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To a certain extent I don't think it really matters whether he clocked the right guy or not. The issue is the time passed and the punches already thrown. If (person x) threw a punch and Stokes threw one back straight away and it ended there, then it'd be a case of whatever, let's move on. But Stokes lost it and a minute later was still throwing punches.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Well yea, because one of them just tried to smash a bottle over their heads and got disrupted. In a fair fight they have little chance. It was a cowardly attack

I think it's all very easy for people to look at the footage in the calm light of day. But if someone from a group attacks me or my family/friends with a weapon I ain't stopping until they're incapacitated - whether that be knocked out or dead. The two that attack look very similar on the footage - as in they've both got a dark jacket and a light coloured shirt. The only way to distinguish them on the footage is one has bright white shoes and the other are a bit duller. So it's also possible Stokes didn't know which was which, particularly in the mayhem. I would argue he has every right to incapacitate them when one has used a weapon. The guy had his hands up - it was semi-defensive but you don't know if they're going to attack again or not, they could pick up another weapon and attack. They attacked, they get no benefit of doubt.
Crikey! Hardman here.

His friends are pulling him back in the end. To me he looks like he is guilty of using excessive force towards the end. But regardless, just a familiar drunken brawl that you see every Friday night in Newcastle which is probably where Stokes learnt his boxing skills. Stupid to be there in the first place - they all are. With that money I would frequent more 'exclusive' establishments.

PS

Is that Hales doing a few cowardly ground kicks?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Also lol @ that Beevs post. Genuinely one of the most embarrassing things I have ever read on here. And I've read posts written by Barney Rubble.

Hennybogan

U19 12th Man
^ maybe Hales was giving that guy the boot. I suppose Stokes could say they were twins and thought he was going after the instigator.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Is it just me or does Alex Hales look/come across as a total dickhead?

I have no idea if he is or not. Might be a good bloke for all I know.

But honestly he just looks like a complete prick. Something about his face/facial expression.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!

But honestly he just looks like a complete prick. Something about his face/facial expression.
His Twitter can be quality at times though.

Shri

Mr. Glass
As far as I'm concerned if someone breaks into your house with weapons they're fair game. What are you expected to do, let them run off around your house with wife and kids sleeping somewhere? Let them run away and come back with automatic weapons to take their revenge? **** off if someone endangers my (hypothetical) family I'm going to do what needs to be done to end the threat.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain

I went off the guy when he did his crybaby impression in 2016 when one of the Pakistan batsmen was dismissed.