• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

SS "Most overrated batsmen of all time: All of them"

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As Dasa said, not even close. I've always thought tec was a perfectly decent bloke.
Not that interested in your comment on the situation, Rich. You're part of the problem. One or both of you, please, STOP.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not that interested in your comment on the situation, Rich. You're part of the problem. One or both of you, please, STOP.
I'm well aware of that. The point is not that this is not a problem, but that myself and tec's battles back in t'day weren't another example of said problem, because there was always respect on both sides there.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
silentstriker said:
A great spinner is a great thing to have in the side, but if I have top quality quicks (something like Holding, Garner, Roberts, Marshall), I'd much rather play all four of them then any three of them and a Murali or a Warne. That's all I'm saying.
Absolutely no way on Earth for me.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Absolutely no way on Earth for me.
If you had all four of those, you can maintain a certain atmosphere that you can't otherwise. Other than being simply better bowlers (which obviously you disagree with ), relentless fast bowling really wears a batsman down mentally, more than anything else. Anyone can knock you out. Obviously this is just a personal preference, but I'm confident that this bowling attack would be superior to any other.

Burgey

Because Murali and Warne are as good as, or imo, better than Roberts, Garner, Holding?
It depends on the conditions though. Put that great fast bowling attack on Adelaide's last two decks and it would be a struggle even for them. In those conditions I'd want variety, but it's a matter of opinion obviously, and I'm certainly not saying that attack isn't a superb one.

JBH001

International Regular
No, thats a fair point. And one related to the point I raised earlier in this thread (pages back now probably) about batsmen being able to counter good spin bowling better than good pace bowling. You really saw it, for example, in the recent SL tests against Australia. The Australian batsmen collectively played Murali well, who was also blunted by two absolute roads, and yet on the same surfaces (albeit against lesser batsmen) Lee (who is an inferior bowler to Mural) absolutely carved up on the strength of consistent and effective pace and swing. Thats the edge that pace bowling has, thats why you dont have consistently good teams of batsmen who play pace well (unlike say India and Australia when it comes to spin), and thats why, imo, the top 5 bowlers of all time, if you absolutely had to name them, would be pace bowlers. However, that said, I do think that Murali and Warne would be in the next 5, as I consider them as good as, if not better than the best pace bowlers outside that very top tier.

Burgey

Yeah, I wouldn't have too much trouble suggesting (or agreeing with the suggestion) that the 5 top bowlers of all time are pacers rather than spinners either.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
If you had all four of those, you can maintain a certain atmosphere that you can't otherwise. Other than being simply better bowlers (which obviously you disagree with ), relentless fast bowling really wears a batsman down mentally, more than anything else. Anyone can knock you out. Obviously this is just a personal preference, but I'm confident that this bowling attack would be superior to any other.
relentless fast bowling wears out fast bowlers too, you know... Try grounding that battery against Bradman, Lara, Sachin and Sobers on a Chennai track in May. You wont have bowlers to bowl you overs by the 2nd day..... :p

Slifer

International Captain
On the other hand, I wouldnt want to put either one of Shane Warne or Murali up against ne one of those batsmen for ne length of time regardless of the wicket.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
On the other hand, I wouldnt want to put either one of Shane Warne or Murali up against ne one of those batsmen for ne length of time regardless of the wicket.
that may be your opinion but there are a very great number of tracks where I would want ONLY those guys against these very batsmen... And I am not alone.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
that may be your opinion but there are a very great number of tracks where I would want ONLY those guys against these very batsmen... And I am not alone.
Considering how good (in the current generation) Lara and Sachin are against spin, I don't think it would be a good idea. Against both of them, you'd have a much better chance of getting their wicket if you were bowling Marshall and Ambrose, compared to Warne and Murali. I'd be astonished if you disagreed, considering both of their performances against spin, especially Sachin vs. Warne and Lara vs Murali. People were saying they are the best bowlers in history - I don't see how you could be best in history and be consistently dominated like that against the best players of your type of bowling.

Slifer

International Captain
Considering how good (in the current generation) Lara and Sachin are against spin, I don't think it would be a good idea. Against both of them, you'd have a much better chance of getting their wicket if you were bowling Marshall and Ambrose, compared to Warne and Murali. I'd be astonished if you disagreed, considering both of their performances against spin, especially Sachin vs. Warne and Lara vs Murali. People were saying they are the best bowlers in history - I don't see how you could be best in history and be consistently dominated like that against the best players of your type of bowling.
Very well put. If i am to pick an all time bowling attack, bowling to the likes of : Lara, SRT, Sobers etc regardless of the pitch, and based on what Ive seen, i would certainly pick the likes of :Marshall, Mcgrath, Hadlee over Murali and Warne ne day.