• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

SS is unspeakably sad

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Mohammed Asif, if he stays fit will only improve as a bowler. He has the potential to dominate fast bowling in the next 3-4 years. The guy imo could end up with 300+ test wickets. He is that good!!.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Mohammed Asif, if he stays fit will only improve as a bowler. He has the potential to dominate fast bowling in the next 3-4 years. The guy imo could end up with 300+ test wickets. He is that good!!.
Yup of the current lot he seems to be the only one who may end up as being one of the greats.

Guys like Shreeshanth, J.Taylor, Gul, Tait, Steyn will also have their moments.

adharcric

International Coach
1. Mohammad Asif and Lasith Malinga are the best bets at the moment.

2. Sreesanth vs SA. :ph34r:

Nah, must have been Shoaib, Wasim or Asif (ridiculous number of jaffas) ... unfortunately, I missed out on much of Flintoff and early McGrath.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
1. Mohammad Asif and Lasith Malinga are the best bets at the moment.

2. Sreesanth vs SA. :ph34r:

Nah, must have been Shoaib, Wasim or Asif (ridiculous number of jaffas in that match) ... unfortunately, I missed out much of Flintoff and early McGrath.
Flintoff and S.Jones in Ashes 2005 were beauty but Asif against SL just takes the cake...the most lethal would be Shoaib vs OZ in Colombo.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Best spell i've ever seen live is probably McGrath at Lords in 05, 5-2 of 7 overs or something like that i think, best because it made him look on another planet compared to the bastmen he was getting out.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
The answer to the first question is obviously Asif. The guy may or may not make it big like Pidge did, but he's certainly the best candidate for the best pacer of the next decade. Also, surprised to see no mention of Clark in this thread thus far.

In answer to your second question. I unfortunately never watched any of the great fast bowlers from the 90s at their best. It wasn't until after the 05 Ashes that I started watching tests with regularity. So when it comes to spells that I've watched live, it would have to be Asif's spell at Kandy or one of his lethal spells against South Africa this year.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
on t.v, i have seen mcgrath, imran, hadlee, marshall, holding, roberts, garner, ambrose, younis, akram, dev, donald....too many great spells to choose from....:)

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I'm going to change my avatar every week with a picture of a different great fast bowler, to keep reminding myself of what we don't have anymore. :(

Swervy

International Captain
So sad that he has started referring to himself in the third person.

In any case, I am looking around and all I see is a barren landscape when it concerns great fast bowling. With the retirement of McGrath, for the first time in perhaps 40 years, there is not an all time great fast bowler operating anywhere in the world. Everytime I watch a crap batsman plonk his front foot down and drive the ball down, I throw up
a little bit in the mouth. My favorite cricket memory in the short time I've been watching cricket live was that spell by Flintoff in the Ashes. And I was supporting Australia at the time! None of Sachin's innings, or various great spin bowling performances by Warne and Murali give me half as much pleasure as a fast bowler beating the bat time after time, and a genuinely quality batsman standing there clueless, hoping the barrage ends.

So my question is this: Who is most likely in the next ten years to be that guy? With McGrath, I feel my best hope of watching that favorite type of cricket has gone.

And second question, what was the best spell of fast bowling that you have ever witnessed live? I've heard and read and watched on tape the things like Hadlee's nine wicket haul, Botham's Ashes, and Ambrose 7-1, but unfortunately all were before I was born. The only genuine great fast bowler since I've started to appreciate cricket has been McGrath (perhaps why I am so infatuated with him ;)), and I only caught the tail ends of Walsh, Ambrose, Wasim, Waqar, Donald, etc.

So fill this thread with your memories and your predictions for the future, and make me a happy man!
dont dispair, there is potential out there, there was a time when it felt like the West Indies were starting to lose their fast bowling edge in the late 80s (given Marshall was starting to age), but along came Ambrose from nowhere and then Bishop...and Walsh back then, well no one would ever have imagined he would hold the world wicket taking record.A new star will emerge sooner rather than later.

Given that I didnt see Willis' 8-43 at Headingley nor Bothams 5-1 LIVE (highlights the next day, although watched it numerous times since), spells that stick out in my mind are Lillee's 7 wicket haul vs WI in 81, England collapsing to 45 all out (or was it 46?),Marshall grabbing his 7-22ish vs England, Bothams 8 for 100 vs WI in 84, and one cant forget Harmisons 7 vs WI a few years back..oh and Caddicks 4 in an over was pretty exciting to watch, despite the shockingly poor WI batting that series.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Brilliant choice :)
Yea, wish I had known more than the tail end of his career. He was definitely the most exciting bowler to watch when I first started out. Got me hooked on bowling, really. Especially when he said '**** off' or whatever to Dravid, and then backed it up and owned both him and Tendulkar.

So sad that he has started referring to himself in the third person.

In any case, I am looking around and all I see is a barren landscape when it concerns great fast bowling. With the retirement of McGrath, for the first time in perhaps 40 years, there is not an all time great fast bowler operating anywhere in the world. Everytime I watch a crap batsman plonk his front foot down and drive the ball down, I throw up
a little bit in the mouth. My favorite cricket memory in the short time I've been watching cricket live was that spell by Flintoff in the Ashes. And I was supporting Australia at the time! None of Sachin's innings, or various great spin bowling performances by Warne and Murali give me half as much pleasure as a fast bowler beating the bat time after time, and a genuinely quality batsman standing there clueless, hoping the barrage ends.

So my question is this: Who is most likely in the next ten years to be that guy? With McGrath, I feel my best hope of watching that favorite type of cricket has gone.

And second question, what was the best spell of fast bowling that you have ever witnessed live? I've heard and read and watched on tape the things like Hadlee's nine wicket haul, Botham's Ashes, and Ambrose 7-1, but unfortunately all were before I was born. The only genuine great fast bowler since I've started to appreciate cricket has been McGrath (perhaps why I am so infatuated with him ;)), and I only caught the tail ends of Walsh, Ambrose, Wasim, Waqar, Donald, etc.

So fill this thread with your memories and your predictions for the future, and make me a happy man!
Afridi, with his quicker ones.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The best short spell I've ever seen was McGrath at Lord's on the first afternoon in 2005, and the best sustained series of it was Allan Donald's phenominal efforts in 1998, the highlight of course being that magnificent spell at Atherton (which would never have happened had he been given the wicket he should have when Atherton gloved behind) at Trent Bridge in the second-innings.

My favourite spell of seam-bowling, beyond doubt, though, was Dominic Cork's Test debut second-innings. A tight game which England could not afford to lose, and he won it virtually single-handedly.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Im surprised about the lack of love for Bond, i thought someone would have mentioned his name. But i guess most people see him at the near end of his career, with one more injury and he will just be another Bishop.