• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

SS is unspeakably sad

pup11

International Coach
I can't remember exactly which year it was, but Ambrose's spell against Australia (i am talking about the game in which Dean Jones asked Ambrose to take of his sweat-bands).

After that incident Ambrose really got pissed off and he ran through the Aussie batting line-up but he wasn't able to dismiss Jones.

But Akram's spells in the hot weather of Sharjah (in 80's and early 90's) is probably the best i have seen a fast-bowler bowl.

pup11

International Coach
Bond hasn't played enough cricket (especially test cricket) in my book to be considered a great fast-bowler, he definitely has the potential but all the injuries he has had have let him down.

S.Clark,B.Lee, M.Asif all have it in them to be great fast-bowlers and the likes of Malinga,Tait, Hilfenhaus also have huge potential and age on their side to be greats in the future.

The Big Cheese

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
If Bondy was maybe, 24 or 25, maybe 26... he would be at the forefront of my mind...
I doubt he'll last to the next world cup, which means maybe, 10 more tests for New Zealand... :dry:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The two best short spell I've ever seen was McGrath at Lord's on the first afternoon in 2005, and the best sustained series of it was Allan Donald's phenominal efforts in 1998, the highlight of course being that magnificent spell at Atherton (which would never have happened had he been given the wicket he should have when Atherton gloved behind) at Trent Bridge in the second-innings.

My favourite spell of seam-bowling, beyond doubt, though, was Dominic Cork's Test debut second-innings. A tight game which England could not afford to lose, and he won it virtually single-handedly.
Both great spells there.

Ambrose 7/1 v Aus at WACA in 92/93 was awesome as well.

McGrath's spell in 95 in the 2nd test after we had been rolled for 130-odd was amazing as well - he, Reiffel and Julian rolled WI for about 145, iirc. Got us back into it, then we got rolled again & lost by 9 wickets.

Donald at Melbourne in 93/94 when it was overcast was bloody terrifying, as ws Devon Malcolm's 9 for vs SA.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha. I was at my Grandad's place for the Malcolm spell, and was flitting up and down stairs, often coming down to find yet another wicket had fallen - to a certain bowler. I really, really wish I'd just sat down in front of the TV, because that must surely have been one of the best spells of seam bowled in the modern era, but I didn't. :( I can't even remember what else it was I was doing that was so fascinating.

The first cricket I ever watched outside and not involving England wasn't until 2000\01, though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
S.Clark,B.Lee, M.Asif all have it in them to be great fast-bowlers and the likes of Malinga,Tait, Hilfenhaus also have huge potential and age on their side to be greats in the future.
Haha, Brett Lee and Stuart Clark? Even if Lee was good enough (which he's emphatically not) they're both far too old now to be anything more than good fleeting careers. Lee could well have no more than a couple of years left, and Clark I can't see going on for more than 4 or 5 at best.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I can't remember exactly which year it was, but Ambrose's spell against Australia (i am talking about the game in which Dean Jones asked Ambrose to take of his sweat-bands).

After that incident Ambrose really got pissed off and he ran through the Aussie batting line-up but he wasn't able to dismiss Jones.
That'd be this one.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Bit ironic, really, that you have an AAD wearing the ODI training kit, TBH. Whites would be far, far more appropriate.
Yea, I actually looked for a good hour, but couldn't find a good picture in whites. Of course, I'll pretend he's just wearing a normal t-shirt and it's not an ODI kit. :ph34r:

Flem274*

123/5
Malinga and Asif look pretty good, Bond, Lee etc have a few more years. Tait might actualy find some accuracy. my kiwi Biasedness is picking Corey Anderson, though he won't be on the scene until around 2015 (he's 16 now). If the selectors are ******** of course, he'll get picked soon. I'm sure the quicky stocks will replenish mate.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
SS if you weren't born before Ambrose's 7-1 spell I wonder how the hell you've managed to get your hand on rifles. :ph34r:

It happened in 92.

pup11

International Coach
Anyways Lee in a recent TV interview said he feels he could play another 5 years, he thinks that his recent injury might have been a blessing in disguise which could add one or two years of international cricket to his career.

Flem274*

123/5
Anyways Lee in a recent TV interview said he feels he could play another 5 years, he thinks that his recent injury might have been a blessing in disguise which could add one or two years of international cricket to his career.
How could an injury prolong a career?

Also is he thinking of slowing down to 140ish like Vaas and Bond did to prolong his career?