• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

SeamUp

International Coach

Tom Flint

International Regular
Whst happened to malan the opener who I think last year made a test ton or out in the 90s?
Apologies I csnt remember the game I just recall watching and thinking he was a decent player.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Whst happened to malan the opener who I think last year made a test ton or out in the 90s?
Apologies I csnt remember the game I just recall watching and thinking he was a decent player.
Pieter or janneman? Pieter made an 80/90 while trying to draw vs England last year and didn't do my much else, got dropped for makram on domestic form. Janneman made a 100 vs aus in his second odi last year but don't think he's near the test team.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Pieter made an 80/90 while trying to draw vs England last year and didn't do my much else, got dropped for makram on domestic form.
Not quite. Malan was an injury replacement for Markram, but Markram has always been the first-choice opener, so is back in the team now that he's fit. Malan's place in the squad was taken by Sarel Erwee, and that was based on domestic form.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Not quite. Malan was an injury replacement for Markram, but Markram has always been the first-choice opener, so is back in the team now that he's fit. Malan's place in the squad was taken by Sarel Erwee, and that was based on domestic form.
Ohh **** I though makram got dropped because of **** form in the England series, my b.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Ohh **** I though makram got dropped because of **** form in the England series, my b.
Bit of all the above really. He was in bad form, got injured and replaced by P. Malan who did well. Then when Markram was fit, Malan originally maintained his place, but Markram's runs this domestic season and long term potential got him ahead again.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Yes it was p. Malan I was talking about. He played really well that knock against England and I was just wondering where he was now as this must be one of the first series you have played since then.
But I hadn't checked the domestic form

Bahseph

State Captain
We have been calling for some caution with the use of Rabada for years. I'd prefer if Sipamla is given another game. I really don't care to see Hendricks,but pecking order etc etc.

We were discussing our bowling for Pakistan but I do feel that Pakistan can outbat us if we aren't careful. Faf having a good 18 months is going to be vital for us.

SeamUp

International Coach
We have been calling for some caution with the use of Rabada for years. I'd prefer if Sipamla is given another game. I really don't care to see Hendricks,but pecking order etc etc.

We were discussing our bowling for Pakistan but I do feel that Pakistan can outbat us if we aren't careful. Faf having a good 18 months is going to be vital for us.
Without doubt. I think it is crucial we get Faf/Elgar finding leadership in performance consistently for the next 18 months at least like you say. I think that is vital if we have any chance v Australia and India (still got to win a series on our soil for the first time).

You then get de Kock, Markram peaking & it will be easier for other guys to perform around them, especially the younger talent like Mulder/van Tonder.

Bahseph

State Captain
Faf has really impressed me recently. AB coming out of retirement has become a meme but I've appreciated his drive to prove that he still has something to offer. I wasn't too keen on seeing him in the Test side but I see it from his point of view now. He doesn't think he is done,and neither do is performances so far post captaincy.

Bahseph

State Captain
The thing with this version of Pakistan is they get stuck in. I am basing this statement having watched them in NZ. And Barbar is a legit world class batsman who can punish us. They have also moved on from players like Asad Shafiq and Sarfraz.

Rasimione

U19 Captain
We really need to find a way to Slot Van Tonder at 3. Rassie does not fill me with any confidence batting there. For a while I've wanted Markram to bat at 4 and QDK at 5 with Verrynne at 6 and Mulder at 7. I doubt this will ever happen. But I'm happy to see the number of batsmen we are producing at Domestic level. I do wish we had a few more African black batsmen coming through at domestic level. It would solve a lot of the so called Quota problems. Qeshile is the only one I can think of worth a mention.

Dendarii

International Debutant
We really need to find a way to Slot Van Tonder at 3. Rassie does not fill me with any confidence batting there.
I don't think Rassie bats 3 domestically, but out of the batsmen picked for the last, he was the best candidate to bat there. The obvious way to get Van Tonder into the side would be a straight swap for Rassie, but he's starting to become an established player in the side (although mainly the shorter formats), so it might take some time before the selectors drop him.

I do wish we had a few more African black batsmen coming through at domestic level. It would solve a lot of the so called Quota problems. Qeshile is the only one I can think of worth a mention.
He is the only one worth a mention, and I think it might take another season or two before he's ready as he's struggled to replicate the form he showed in his debut season. So we'll be stuck with Bavuma for a while.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't think Rassie bats 3 domestically, but out of the batsmen picked for the last, he was the best candidate to bat there.
He bats four usually, but he's batted all over the place, including a long stint opening.

I think he cops too much **** on this forum (before this game he'd played all his Tests on sporting wickets against England and held his own, including a 98 in his last dig, not to mentioning making the best "hey this **** might be a decent Test bat" audition in ODIs possible, and having actual standout franchise performances rather than just being eXpErIeNcEd) and could be an important player for SA in this tranisitional period... but yeah he looked the worst bat on show in the first Test.

He obviously shouldn't be afforded a long rope if he doesn't bridge the gap, but I think people may be surprised by how long he's clearly amongst South Africa's best 6 bats tbh.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Rassie, Petersen and van Tonder are consecutive top runs scorers in 4-day over the last 3 seasons. So the selection is pretty much off performance. The biggest difference is age and SA trying to build a long term. The fact is that van Tonder at 22 was the top run scorer last year and this year, so far. It is just an indication of how good he could be and needs to be in the team asap.

Bahseph

State Captain
I'm one of those guilty of criticizing Rassie. Sometimes he doesn't look up to it technically but he always gives a 100%. When you really look at it he has earned a certain amount of leeway. SA clearly aren't going gung-ho and debuting a bunch of youngsters,so him being around makes sense. I'm less annoyed at him being in the team than when Hulk was in before Mulder tbh.

SeamUp

International Coach
Stuurman also out.

Gone quiet if Dupav is going to join up or not. Was looking likely according to Dolphins analytics team but maybe not anymore. Would have been announced by now.