• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

SeamUp

International Coach
We have 3 tests coming up before Australia (home) and then India (home). Unless they catch-up the Windies series up inbetween.

Boucher & co would have wanted to get senior players performing whose performances were falling off a cliff, getting middle management consistent and introducing new young talent.

1. Dean Elgar
2. Aiden Markram
3. Rassie van der Dussen (Raynard van Tonder/Keegan Petersen)
4. Faf du Plessis
5. Quinton de Kock
6. Temba Bavuma (Kyle Verreynne)
7. Wiaan Mulder
8. Keshav Maharaj (George Linde)
9. Kagiso Rabada
10. Anrich Nortje (Daryn Dupavillon)
11. Lungi Ngidi (Glenton Stuurman, Lutho Sipamla)

1. When does Rassie become under pressure & will they replace him with Keegan before Raynie ?

2. We go to Pakistan next. What will be required of the quick bowlers there ? It's been a while since we've played there. How much pace through the air will be required.

I think we would be almost set in stone for a couple of year if performance allows it. We would basically only have Elgar (an opener), Faf (another potential world class batsmen required) and Bavuma (Qeshile ideally) to replace.

Last edited:

Dendarii

International Debutant
I think Rassie will get Pakistan, but if he fails there then we could very well see him on his way. I suspect that Petersen will be the next batsman in line for a little bit longer as he's put in the hard yards, but if Van Tonder keeps going the way he has then he'll become impossible to ignore.

As for bowling in Pakistan, I imagine they'll go with two spinners as Mulder gives them a third seamer. Rabada will obviously be one of the seamers, and probably Ngidi the remaining one.

Bahseph

State Captain
Pakistan is going to be a massive series for Keshav. He didn't impress much in India although it was admirable how he kept wheeling away. Who is going to partner him? Realistically there's only three names I think are in the mix.

1. Shamsi. Might get the nod because he is different to Kesh. I'm edging towards him from a selectors point of view.
2. Linde. I'd pick him personally as he always impresses me plus he adds batting.
3. Muthusamy. Very,very,very left field and probably won't happen unless one of the two options above get injured. Far inferior bowler to the above two but a superior batsman.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Pakistan is going to be a massive series for Keshav. He didn't impress much in India although it was admirable how he kept wheeling away. Who is going to partner him? Realistically there's only three names I think are in the mix.

1. Shamsi. Might get the nod because he is different to Kesh. I'm edging towards him from a selectors point of view.
2. Linde. I'd pick him personally as he always impresses me plus he adds batting.
3. Muthusamy. Very,very,very left field and probably won't happen unless one of the two options above get injured. Far inferior bowler to the above two but a superior batsman.
I definitely agree with that assessment. I'm not entirely convinced that Shamsi is a test bowler, and first-class cricket might be his ceiling, but his form this season so far would justify his selection. And if he were to replace Nortje, then that would be a white player out and a non-white one in, which may be a factor.

SeamUp

International Coach
First test in Karachi looks like it will require twin-spin.

2nd test in Rawalpindi brings "quick" bowlers into it.

There has been no recent FC games at Rawalpindi but the last 2 test matches in the last couple of years has brought results for quicks Afridi, Naseem Shah, Rubel

Bahseph

State Captain
I definitely agree with that assessment. I'm not entirely convinced that Shamsi is a test bowler, and first-class cricket might be his ceiling, but his form this season so far would justify his selection. And if he were to replace Nortje, then that would be a white player out and a non-white one in, which may be a factor.
That's exactly how I see it. Shamsi has been impressive in LO cricket recently because he has benefited from being the first choice spinner imo. He won't be afforded the luxury of that confidence because Kesh is definitely our first choice.

They definitely have confidence in Mulder as a bowler so it might make picking Shamsi easier. I just wonder whether I'd want Ngidi over Nortje in Pakistan. We might need the extra pace if things are flat? And Nortje has been admirable with his fitness.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Didn't realise the Pakistan series was quite so soon! I'd definitely look to get either Van Tonder/Verreyne some test match experience there

Bahseph

State Captain
Didn't realise the Pakistan series was quite so soon! I'd definitely look to get either Van Tonder/Verreyne some test match experience there
The vibe I get is that Verreyne is in the thinking considering QDK is at 5 now. Perhaps with Rabada back it would make it easier to move on from Bavuma. I love the little guy but I'm never going to be comfortable with him in the team if it's a 450 vs 450 pitch. He hasn't shown that he can go big.

Bahseph

State Captain
Think there is a good chance they may play Linde in front of Mulder.
Hmm. But that brings us back to the debate about the similarities between Nortje and Ngidi as bowlers. Ngidi does not fill me with confidence when I see him move around. Definitely not as athletic as Rabada and Nortje and I'm worried about that.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
The vibe I get is that Verreyne is in the thinking considering QDK is at 5 now. Perhaps with Rabada back it would make it easier to move on from Bavuma. I love the little guy but I'm never going to be comfortable with him in the team if it's a 450 vs 450 pitch. He hasn't shown that he can go big.
Interesting. QDK and Mulder look like a natural 6/7 so maybe Verreyne could slot in at 5? As an aside, I like VDD, but the idea of him batting 3 wouldn't feel me with assurance. Do you think Van Tonder could slot in at 3 in the near future?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting. QDK and Mulder look like a natural 6/7 so maybe Verreyne could slot in at 5? As an aside, I like VDD, but the idea of him batting 3 wouldn't feel me with assurance. Do you think Van Tonder could slot in at 3 in the near future?
van Tonder is a natural 3 or 4 for the team. Probably better at 3 with Markram as opener.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
QDK is apparently not the planned long term captain does it make sense to take gloves off him to try release burden that may not be there in a year?

Bahseph

State Captain
QDK is apparently not the planned long term captain does it make sense to take gloves off him to try release burden that may not be there in a year?
Great point. Verreyne has been posting these numbers in the franchise comp while keeping hasn't he? Depends who is the better keeper then if they both are in the team. I don't buy into the theory that QDK is going to suddenly average 55 if he gives up the gloves. I'd love it to happen but he is too much of am instinctive player for me.

SeamUp

International Coach
I still get the feeling Verreynne is a typical keeper who will get you 60s/70s/80s but 100s as a pure batsmen I am not sure about. Only has 2 FC 100s for the Cobras even though he averages about 50. But his stats show he is equally comfortable on the coast v inland. Love how adaptable he seems.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I still get the feeling Verreynne is a typical keeper who will get you 60s/70s/80s but 100s as a pure batsmen I am not sure about. Only has 2 FC 100s for the Cobras even though he averages about 50. But his stats show he is equally comfortable on the coast v inland. Love how adaptable he seems.
I don't see him as a true Test batsman. Probably very unfair but still. Think he will be great for our limited overs team.

I don't like taking the gloves off QDK I think he likes having the extra bow in his string and that gives him freedom to bat 'naturally'. Of we take the gloves off him we lose a big advantage from a team balance point of view.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Workload management for the quicks will be a big issue as well. I'd probably resist playing Rabada for the 2nd test and bring in Stuurman for Nortje. You'll want him fresh for bowling on those flat Pakistani wickets, and think he's due a rest going straight from the IPL all through the England series

SeamUp

International Coach
Workload management for the quicks will be a big issue as well. I'd probably resist playing Rabada for the 2nd test and bring in Stuurman for Nortje. You'll want him fresh for bowling on those flat Pakistani wickets, and think he's due a rest going straight from the IPL all through the England series
I actually thought Anna was under-cooked going into this test match. So I would play him still.

Agree on KG. Balance needs to be found on wanting to see him lead this attack or being smart and keeping him for Pakistan. Would maybe bowl in a couple of MODC games for the Lions even.

SeamUp

International Coach
Some good points from Boucher here.

Says he is happy to work with Erwee, van Tonder, Verreynne as next in line with the batting so didn't need to call up Petersen.

Highly unlikely we will ever go into a test match under him without a spinner so Kesh will play.

Last edited: