• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

SeamUp

International Coach
Raynard van Tonder released from the squad.

Fractured finger in the nets. I think that is the 3rd time it has happened that I know of.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Bad luck for him, but it's a little worrying for it to have happened that many times in a short career. Hopefully something can be done so that it doesn't turn into something which will plague him throughout his career.

SeamUp

International Coach
From Tinus van Staden. Great Afrikaans cricket reporter.

A race based policy of
@OfficialCSA
regarding the appointment of consultants, had an impact on Jacques Kallis' decision to take up a role as batting consultant with England. In August CSA made a commitment to government to only use black consultants in the future. (1/4)

Kugandrie Govender, acting CEO, commented on this policy in the press in September but after an outcry CSA backtracked. They did, however, make that presentation to government in Aug. It's understood that it influenced Kallis' decision. He'd have liked to still help SA. (2/4)

The national team also would've wanted the option of using his services again. In the pre-season at least one Protea batter wanted to ask Kallis for help but couldn't, because the national team was cautious after the statements from the CEO & the presentation. (3/4)

It was the same presentation in which the former CSA board revealed its new forecast transformation targets, which have since been placed in abeyance by the interim board. It's unclear if the same applies for the consultant policy. (4/4)
@RapportSA

Just received clarity from
@judith_february
: The black only consultants policy has also been placed in abeyance by the interim board.

Bahseph

State Captain
I'm a little concerned about Keshav with us going to Pakistan. Our seamers have been doing the business but I would have liked him to have had a nice spell. From the England series he has 10 wickets in 5 Tests at 56. I'm not a big stats guy as I prefer to watch players to make a judgment on them but I think he is lacking some confidence.

Conversely he has scored three 50's and averages about 26 in his last 10 innings so I think he is working on being a good number 8 and contributing. So that's been a bonus.

SeamUp

International Coach
I'm a little concerned about Keshav with us going to Pakistan. Our seamers have been doing the business but I would have liked him to have had a nice spell. From the England series he has 10 wickets in 5 Tests at 56. I'm not a big stats guy as I prefer to watch players to make a judgment on them but I think he is lacking some confidence.

Conversely he has scored three 50's and averages about 26 in his last 10 innings so I think he is working on being a good number 8 and contributing. So that's been a bonus.
Averaging over 60 since start of 2019 I believe. Really need him to get his mojo back.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
The surprise Dolphins player going is Ottneil Baartman.

Yes, I know. Massive surprise. Is it too early to pick a Marco Jansen ?

SeamUp

International Coach
How big is this squad?
Sri Lanka brought 21 for 2 tests.

Pakistan took a massive T20/ODI squad to New Zealand + test players

We playing 2 tests and 3 t20s.

I would be lying if I said I knew exactly how many they were taking but it is going to be a decent sized party.

Bahseph

State Captain
Wow you weren't joking when you said there was a surprise! I haven't been paying much attention to Baartman,even as a Dolphan myself.

SeamUp

International Coach
Wow you weren't joking when you said there was a surprise! I haven't been paying much attention to Baartman,even as a Dolphan myself.
Proper surprised. Must mean Stuurman & M.Pretorius won't be going so.

Rabada
Nortje
Ngidi
Hendricks
Dupavillon
Sipamla
Baartman

Marco should be getting the last spot really.

SeamUp

International Coach
Another potential surprise selection for the Pakistan tour is Jacques Snyman according to Johann de Jager.

For the T20s I imagine.

Last edited:

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Another potential surprise selection for the Pakistan tour is Jacques Snyman according to Johann de Jager.

For the T20s I imagine.
Could see him getting a go in tests at 6 over bavuma, has a solid fc record and can also role the arm over and throw some dangerous offspin darts in.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Baartman out of the squad due to a medical reason unrelated to COVID (whatever that means) and has been replaced by Marco Jansen. Jansen is the logical choice, but that's really bad luck for Baartman. I doubt he was ever going to actually play, but it's entirely possible he won't make another squad.

And something struck me about the squad list. It's not in alphabetical order, but could it indicate some sort of pecking order? Rabada and Maharaj are the first bowlers to be listed, and the batsmen who played against Sri Lanka are ahead of the others. However, that would mean that Pretorius is above Mulder, which I'm hoping is not the case.