• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Copying on from the idea of the Aus test selection thread. I thought that rather than clogging up the Aus/SA (and any other future tour threads) we could discuss SA team selection here, since we may even have enough SA posters to make a CW team!

Staring with:
South Africa reap rewards for country-first mindset

I hope this is true, and SA players concentrate more on their national team. Maybe CSA can find a way to contract more players, and offer a bit more money?

Asked whether that meant cutting down on game time in T20 leagues Domingo said he was "hoping so".
I also liked this quote as he is obviously being realistic, not telling the players what to do but hoping they thought nationally first.. I can see this encouraging the younger generation to concentrate on SA cricket until they are in a position, with experience, to be able to make extra money elsewhere later.

I also wanted to mention, I know we where calling for Domingo`s head a little while ago but think he may still be the right man for the job, but I get the feeling he is playing more of a manager role than coaching. Langveldt and Mckenzie appear to be doing the coaching. And I am starting to realize that Domingo may be a very good behind the scenes sort of player manager.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
My team selection for Hobart.

Cook
Elgar
Amla
Duminy
Faf
Bavuma
QDK
Philander
Maharaj
Rabada
Morkel (if fit)

Can see an outside chance that if the pitch is very seamer friendly Pretorious may go straight into the team for Maharaj, probably not though.

Edit + one de Kock

Last edited:

Marius

International Debutant
My team selection for Hobart.

Cook
Elgar
Amla
Duminy
Faf
Bavuma
Philander
Maharaj
Rabada
Morkel (if fit)

Can see an outside chance that if the pitch is very seamer friendly Pretorious may go straight into the team for Maharaj, probably not though.
I know we won the last Test with ten guys but this is ridiculous.

And why you dropping Quinny? He's the keeper and made two 50s in the match!

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think Maharaj will be dropped. Most probably, the above team will play the next test.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Hopefully abbot ahead morkel. Morkel has never delivered and abbot deserves the spot.
Looks like Morkel is still struggling with injury... so it probably will be Abbott. Morkel has not delivered on all his promise but he has still been pretty good for SA compared to most international bowlers, and brings a bit of variation to the team.

Marius

International Debutant
I wonder if they might go with Abbott for another reason - if they're worried about his fitness they might be concerned about him making a full five-day Test? And although we won the last Test match with three bowlers, there's no guarantee it'll happen again.

So, perhaps Abbott has the inside track.

So, I think the team will be the same as Perth, except Abbott in for Steyn.

SeamUp

International Coach
I was thinking they could go with Abbott & Morkel depending on the conditions but then you look at spinners recently at the Bellerive

2015/16 (WEST INDIES)
Warrican 28 3-158
Lyon 19 3-43
Lyon 4-017

2012/13 (SRI LANKA)
Herath 26 0-75
Lyon 25 2-76
Herath 21.5 5-95
Lyon 32 0-57

2011/12 (NEW ZEALAND)
Lyon 8 0-13
n/a
Lyon 7.3 3-25
n/a

2009/10 (PAKISTAN)
Kaneria 42.5 3-189
Hauritz 33.4 3-96
Kaneria 14 1-56
Hauritz 17 3-30

CapeTown Guy

School Boy/Girl Captain
Same team with Abbott in for Steyn, that's what I'd go for and frankly, I'd be surprised if that isn't the case.

Win that game and with the series tied up, thinking of changing it up for the third Test.

Bahseph

State Captain
Abbot should play for now. Morkel usually brings great variation but KG can do his job at the moment. Also, I doubt the selectors would risk another mid-match injury. It's happened to us way too often over the last two years.

SeamUp

International Coach
Interesting article with Domingo.

Stand-outs
1) Abbott in most probably.
2) That is a massive backing of Maharaj which is deserved.
3) Wonderful players in the system joining the team and young players back at home.

Kyle Abbott looks set to step into Dale Steyn's shoes in the second Test in Hobart, ahead of Morne Morkel and new call-up Dwaine Pretorius. With Morkel yet to be declared fully match fit following two months on the sidelines with a back injury and, Pretorius only due to jet in once he receives confirmation of a visa, without saying it in so many words, coach Russell Domingo indicated Abbott could complete the three-man pace pack.

"We've got two options at the moment. Kyle Abbott and Morne Morkel," Domingo said. "Morne is coming off a back injury. We'll assess him two days before the Test and make the call on whether he is 100% fit. Kyle Abbott is a consistent solid performer and has been every time he has come in.

"We need to weigh up what type of bowler we want to use under the conditions in Hobart, because I think they are different to what they are here. It's a fascinating series because all three venues have totally different conditions. I've never been to Hobart, I've heard its cold and the wickets are a little New Zealand-like, a little slower."

At the WACA pace and bounce provided what Kagiso Rabada called a "bowler's paradise," but, as Domingo said, cold, wet weather in Tasmania is unlikely to assist in the preparation of anything similar in the second Test. That may mean the pacemen have to play more defensive roles which could mean bowling longer spells. Morkel was initially left out because of concerns he would not be up for that and even though he is making progress, Abbott is regarded as more of a workhorse.

South Africa are unlikely to change from their usual combination of three seamers and a spinner, Keshav Maharaj. After a debut Test in which Maharaj had to do more than he may have bargained for in a three-man attack and did it well, and performed impressively with the bat, Tabraiz Shamsi will wait for his turn.

"Keshav Maharaj's performance has been nothing short of phenomenal considering it was his first Test," Domingo said. "He allowed seamers to have breaks when they needed to and I see him playing a massive role for this side going forward"

Still, without Morkel, South Africa's attack can be seen to lack a certain superstar status; after all Morkel and Steyn were long regarded as the golden pair. Philander proved he deserves the respect he earned when he first came in, with the way he stepped after up after Steyn went down, and Kagiso Rabada is quickly establishing himself as the leader of the attack, a label he prefers to distance himself from. But names like Abbott, Maharaj and Pretorius mean South Africa's bench is stacked with so-called unknowns and their ability to step up to the biggest stage is what has pleased Domingo.

"We've won some games of late without some of the best players in the world. We don't have AB de Villiers and we've put in some wonderful performances. At the end of the day, they are all wonderful players," Domingo said. "We've got some really good young players coming into the system and some really good young players back home. We are trying to focus on the group we have at the moment and trying to get the best out of them at the moment."

Domingo, like du Plessis had done pre-series, played down suggestions that de Villiers would make a surprise return for Adelaide after the captain told a radio station he hoped to fast-track his recovery from elbow surgery. "He has been caddying for a mate at a golf tournament," Domingo said. "I don't think he is going to be fit for Adelaide.. I am not a doctor but I can't see AB being being there."

That means the batting line-up will continue to demand more from Temba Bavuma and Quinton de Kock, who have made up for inexperience with impressive temperament. De Kock has already been compared with Adam Gilchrist and if Stephen Cook's misfiring goes on for much longer, he may be moved to the top temporarily.

South Africa also have Rilee Rossouw in hand should they want to experiment, and Pretorius' batting ability to add depth lower-down if they are unsure about the length of the tail. Pretorius has scored four half-centuries in five innings in the domestic first-class competition which put him ahead of candidates like Duanne Olivier, Marchant de Lange and Hardus Viljoen to head Down Under.

neville cardus

International Debutant
I've never understood how anyone feels confident making pronouncements about the quality of international cricket coaches. We simply aren't privy to their methods, and it's impossible to gauge the extent of their involvement in tactics. Quite different, in other words, to football managers.

SeamUp

International Coach
I've never understood how anyone feels confident making pronouncements about the quality of international cricket coaches. We simply aren't privy to their methods, and it's impossible to gauge the extent of their involvement in tactics. Quite different, in other words, to football managers.
Fair comment. Basically when it gets down to the cricket the captain should be the one questioned.

But in saying that we've heard how guys like Bob Woolmer , Duncan Fletcher and Graeme Ford played massive roles in a lot of our cricketers careers. Maybe because they are a step up from the 'normal coach' and behind the scenes they do the right things. That may be a little chat over a dinner or a Castle Lager with a player if he sees something isn't right technically or mentally etc They there to bounce ideas off and most importantly at the right time in the right environment.

Last edited:

sonnench

U19 12th Man
Pretty much agree with the consensus. Don't see the point in changing the team too much.

I think Maharaj has done enough to keep his place, dependent on conditions of course. I was quite impressed with him in the first test. He troubled the batsmen quite a bit for someone who doesn't spin it a whole lot. Also doesn't bowl too many loose balls, can bat, and his mental state seems that of an international cricketer. And SeamUp's stats above suggest playing a spinner is the way to go.

The only real question is who comes in for Steyn? I've always been a Morkel fan, so if he is 100% fit, he's my guy. Just has that bounce and pace that is unmatched and irreplaceable. If not fit, Abbot slots in more than adequately.

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
Id like to keep Maharaj as we would probably want some variation because I think we will likely spend a lot of overs in the field at Hobart.

I initially thought that maybe we should bring Abott in for Steyn, but then checked that Morkel is still ranked 13th in the world... would it be insane not to just pull him back into the team?

Poor Abott.

Also, We might go for 5 bowlers...

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Fair assessment. I think that "coaching" differs between coaches, managers, teams etc. Looking after an international team in any sport is a multi-role job and depending on the strengths and weaknesses of the entire "coaching" team depends on what role a coach will take on or is needed. You would need a very different team to coach an inexperienced set of players than a solid set of experienced players.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Id like to keep Maharaj as we would probably want some variation because I think we will likely spend a lot of overs in the field at Hobart.

I initially thought that maybe we should bring Abott in for Steyn, but then checked that Morkel is still ranked 13th in the world... would it be insane not to just pull him back into the team?

Poor Abott.

Also, We might go for 5 bowlers...
We wont drop our 6 batsmen + keeper, combo. That means we would need to drop Cook and have QDK or Bavuma open.... can`t see it happening.