• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

SeamUp

International Coach
Strong rumours Ryan Rickelton, Jacques Snyman & Nandre Burger could get their first SA call-ups for the T20 squad.

SeamUp

International Coach
Enoch Nkwe also set to look after the T20 team in Pakistan.

Test players who play T20 won't be staying behind either.

This squad will be very fresh. Chuffed with that.

SeamUp

International Coach
So test team.
Elgar
Markram (Erwee)
Van Der Dussen (Petersen)
Du Plessis
De Kock
Bavuma (Verreynne)
Mulder (Linde/D.Pretorius)
Maharaj
Rabada
Nortje
Ngidi (B.Hendricks/Dupavillon/Shamsi/Sipamla/Jansen)

Think that is the state of play & the options/decisions to make. Reserve 3 batsmen, Dupavillon, B.Hendricks + Jansen returning home after the tests.

T20s
They could easily play it safe.
Reeza (time to pack his bags)
Janneman
Smuts (Probably a better 50-over player)
Miller
Klaasen
D.Pretorius
Phehlukwayo
Linde
Dala
Sipamla
Shamsi

Snyman (it would be nice to see him)
Rickelton (it would be nice to see him)
Van Biljon (maybe in for Smuts/all-rounder)
Fortuin
Stuurman
Burger
Cele

Seamers are going to be punished.

20210120_102108.jpg

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Any chance of playing Mulder and Linde in the same team? Would strengthen the batting as well.
Politically very difficult if you replace Maharaj. Who has not done much wrong... even though he is struggling to do much right at the same time. I was advocating playing Linde and Maharaj in more spin friendly conditions, with Mulder as 3rd seamer. But I don't want to overwork Mulder on his bowling. He is a batting allrounder and while he has started with a bang bowling wise, that should not be his considered main strength.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
So test team.
Elgar
Markram (Erwee)
Van Der Dussen (Petersen)
Du Plessis
De Kock
Bavuma (Verreynne)
Mulder (Linde/D.Pretorius)
Maharaj
Rabada
Nortje
Ngidi (B.Hendricks/Dupavillon/Shamsi/Sipamla/Jansen)

Think that is the state of play & the options/decisions to make. Reserve 3 batsmen, Dupavillon, B.Hendricks + Jansen returning home after the tests.

T20s
They could easily play it safe.
Reeza (time to pack his bags)
Janneman
Smuts (Probably a better 50-over player)
Miller
Klaasen
D.Pretorius
Phehlukwayo
Linde
Dala
Sipamla
Shamsi

Snyman (it would be nice to see him)
Rickelton (it would be nice to see him)
Van Biljon (maybe in for Smuts/all-rounder)
Fortuin
Stuurman
Burger
Cele

Seamers are going to be punished.

View attachment 26931
I actually am a big fan... even though forced upon, of separating the two teams and the moment. I think it will do lots of good for SA cricket at the moment to give players opportunities; also we need to know where we stand with players lots of different players.

I am much happier with regards to Test team at the moment now Mulder is there. But I need to see Petersen and van Tonder be given opportunity asap in the team. I hope Coetzee recovers quickly we need a genuine opening bowler to partner Rabada.

SeamUp

International Coach
Any chance of playing Mulder and Linde in the same team? Would strengthen the batting as well.
I get some will disagree with me but is it really an option to have 2 of the same type of spinner whose main skill is bowling.

Ideally if someone was batting top 7 then I'm cool with it. But I bet if we play both Linde/Maharaj one will be under bowled.

SeamUp

International Coach
I actually am a big fan... even though forced upon, of separating the two teams and the moment. I think it will do lots of good for SA cricket at the moment to give players opportunities; also we need to know where we stand with players lots of different players.

I am much happier with regards to Test team at the moment now Mulder is there. But I need to see Petersen and van Tonder be given opportunity asap in the team. I hope Coetzee recovers quickly we need a genuine opening bowler to partner Rabada.
I'm cool with it too and obviously there are guys like Migael & Gerald still unfit.

But Cele is proper left field. Massive outcry for why Magala keeps getting snubbed (obviously fitness & there must have been attitude) who it could be argued is a better T20 seamer than all of them. Also probably would have picked Siboto, Ntini, Ntanzi ahead of Cele. I think most would have. Stuurman has played 1 T20 or something do are we picking players most suited to the format.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I get some will disagree with me but is it really an option to have 2 of the same type of spinner whose main skill is bowling.

Ideally if someone was batting top 7 then I'm cool with it. But I bet if we play both Linde/Maharaj one will be under bowled.
I think Linde could be a genuine quality number 7. But with Mulder in the team probably no longer as critically needed. I am less a fan of the argument that because the bowlers are both left arm spin they both can't be in the team. There is enough difference in their bowling styles provided they are both good enough. Nobody would be talking like this if Steyn had a twin during his tenure, you would play them both and not care that they had similar bowling styles!

Dendarii

International Debutant
While there is merit in having variety, there is also a danger in placing too much stock in it. That's what sees the likes of Wayne Parnell and Beuran Hendricks continually get picked. So if Maharaj and Linde are our two best spinners then they're the ones who should play if we're going to go with two spinners.

But Shamsi has been in good form with the ball this season, so going with him rather than Linde wouldn't be a ridiculous call. The question is whether his success has just been down to South African batsmen being inept at playing or whether it's something he'll be able to take into a test match.

Bahseph

State Captain
I was thinking more along the lines of playing Linde and Keshav. But I do understand StephenZA being worried about over bowling Mulder. I like having some variety and Shamsi/Maharaj both bowling well just sounds better than Maharaj/Linde. But I am worried about putting up totals. Who are our 100 makers? Faf and Elgar? Might we be better off having Linde at 8 and Kesh at 9.

Heboric

International Debutant
Well done ladies in winning the series against Pakistan.

#ProTip - Dont keep running out your most elegant and in form batter. Laura Wolvaardt looks the real deal