• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Dendarii

International Debutant
Two players have tested positive, hence the call ups. Since they haven't called up a spinner or an opener, that should mean that Maharaj and the openers are OK. And it sounds as though Pretorius is there so that the medical staff can work with him since the next round of domestic matches has been cancelled, so that would mean that Mulder's fine too. Other than that I guess we'll find out when they start talking about players who are "unavailable for selection".

SeamUp

International Coach
Sipamla's call-up makes me think he may be replacing Ngidi.

Probably now about who Raynard is in for.

Training started today.

Last edited:

Dendarii

International Debutant
Sipamla's call-up makes me think he may be replacing Ngidi.
That crossed my mind, but it could be as a replacement for Hendricks or Stuurman (who didn't play in either of the COVID-affected matches, but that doesn't mean it's not him) for similar reasons. I just hope it doesn't mean that they're going to throw him into the test side as while he looks like a decent prospect, I think it's too early for him.

Probably now about who Raynard is in for.
He's the obvious next batsmen in line, so it could be anyone apart from the openers and maybe either of the keepers.

SeamUp

International Coach
Quinton in the presser says he will remain wicketkeeper. Captaincy is only short term until someone sticks up their hand.

SeamUp

International Coach
Big time for Ngidi to step-up and show us what he is capable of when he originally broke through. 138-140 kph regularly hitting the seam and remaining constant through all spells during the day.

13 January 2018 v India (Centurion)
14 overs 1/51
12.2 overs 6/39

24 January 2018 v India (Wanderers)
15 overs 1/27
12 overs 1/38

9 March 2018 v Australia (St George's)
13.3 overs 3/51
13 overs 2/24

20 July 2018 v Sri Lanka (SSC)
14.2 overs 0/54
9 overs 1/9

19 October 2019 v India (Ranchi)
20 overs 0/83

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
That's about right.

Personally, I would have van Tonder in place of Rassie in main team. And I would have Migael and Stuurman ahead of Hendricks.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I also want to say I actually was very impressed with Sipamla. He was exactly what I said in the thread, young and very talented. Inconsistent, goes for runs and then comes back and bowls good to great spells, changing a game. The way he came back in the match, and he bowled really well I felt later. Him coming around the wicket in that first opening spell seemed like a team plan to the batsmen, and Sipamla did not look comfortable doing it. Later when he bowled 'normally' from over the wicket he looked much more dangerous.

And this to me is an indication that the decisions on the field are not being made by the players, not QDK not the bowlers. I am getting a feeling that Boucher and co have come in and said this is the way we will be playing and this is what I want you to do no questions asked. And due to the inexperience and rebuilding of the team it is just being accepted.

SeamUp

International Coach
Personally I just think it was nerves. He isn't overly quick (I don't think he will ever be 140+) & was too floaty & bowled 2 sides of the wicket & if you slightly off at the Centurion the boundary scoring % must be the highest of any test venue in the world ? Absolutely convinced of it.

On the individual. Loads of criticism about quota and that is why I hate it is in place because here is a young talented kid being labelled that because it is in place. If he isn't a strong individual it could actually hurt him. Should he have jumped the queue ? Probably not but then they should have picked him before Mig. He has a lovely repeatable action and he can groove a line and length pretty well. I think he does need to add something more and is perhaps the reason he hasn't got a franchise 5-for yet.

But what he showed yesterday coming back was part of his talent for me. Especially growing up at St George's. I think he will come fighting and keep running in and he certainly showed Lungi and Anrich up.

SeamUp

International Coach
Reeza Hendricks for limited overs too perhaps? Other than that I think you've got everyone.
I'm kind of hoping that is it for him. He is probably a better 50-over cricketer but we've moved on to Bavuma/Janneman

I only included Pite because of the T20 WC coming up and our lack of 5/6/7 options but as soon as that passes we can move on.

Where are you with Dala and Magala ?

SeamUp

International Coach
That's about right.

Personally, I would have van Tonder in place of Rassie in main team. And I would have Migael and Stuurman ahead of Hendricks.
Agreed. With no A team tours it seems the only way we can discover this , is in test matches and we don't play a lot sadly.

Dendarii

International Debutant
I'm kind of hoping that is it for him. He is probably a better 50-over cricketer but we've moved on to Bavuma/Janneman
What we hope for and what we get aren't always the same thing, so he might stick around for a while.

Where are you with Dala and Magala ?
Decent domestic bowlers, and maybe worth the odd game here and there to give Rabada and Ngidi a break, but I don't think we should be investing too much time in them.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Agreed. With no A team tours it seems the only way we can discover this , is in test matches and we don't play a lot sadly.
Didn't Victor Mpitsang mention the possibility of intra-squad games at one point? It would be interesting to see how that pans out.

SeamUp

International Coach
Didn't Victor Mpitsang mention the possibility of intra-squad games at one point? It would be interesting to see how that pans out.
It would be nice but I must admit I didn't hear or see that.

Would have to be after or before the season when A tours are normally?