• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Dendarii

International Debutant
I am also surprised at the small size of the squad considering that there is meant to be a strict bio-bubble. Can't just call people in from outside easily?
That surprised me too. They've gone for what they would normally do for a home series - the first-choice XI and then a handful of backups, but you'd have thought they would have gone with a bit of a larger squad. Not necessarily more batsmen, as they might have enough there, but it seems short-sighted to me not to have Linde and another quick there.

SeamUp

International Coach
I am surprised at the Erwee for Malan replacement. Erwee done nothing amazing and Malan done nothing wrong.

I would not mind Stuurman in place of Hendricks in the team. Not a big fan of Hendricks and Stuurman has become very much a like replacement for Philander (bowling wise). No Linde is also disappointing. I am also surprised at the small size of the squad considering that there is meant to be a strict bio-bubble. Can't just call people in from outside easily?
I think it is do with balance and tempo more than anything. There was issues last summer when Malan was getting stuck & Dean was trying to transfer pressure and we can't say he must be doing that if it isn't his peak game. I don't think Petersen plays now but it would be an even bigger problem if he was in at 3.

For Erwee. He is 31. If they go Markram we ideally hoping he performs and doesn't lose his spot so he will unlikely play.

I think we got to hope Elgar lasts another 2 years & young opener is ready by then ie J.Malan, Breetzke

For Raynard. He has to be eyeing Faf and or Rassie's spot.

Qeshile eyeing 1 of the above and or Bavuma's spot.

SeamUp

International Coach
That surprised me too. They've gone for what they would normally do for a home series - the first-choice XI and then a handful of backups, but you'd have thought they would have gone with a bit of a larger squad. Not necessarily more batsmen, as they might have enough there, but it seems short-sighted to me not to have Linde and another quick there.
Agree with this massively.

Good chance they will play Wanderers without a spinner.

But to only pick 5 bowlers is a massive concern. We also only have one 140+ quick which could be a problem at Centurion when it becomes flat and true.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Good chance they will play Wanderers without a spinner.
I've been wondering about that. Mulder in the side means that they can go in with four quicks and still have a spinner. I know that we rarely play a spinner at the Wanderers (and last time we went in with five seamers), but I still feel a bit more comfortable with one in the side just as an option, and an allrounder gives us a way we can do that.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Never seen Stuurman but I've seen enough of Hendricks. I would have had Linde in the squad as well. He should be playing test cricket next month and I assume South Africa are not going with underprepared wickets with their quick attack being what it now is e.g. not much, so, two spinners wouldn’t be outrageous.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Linde is the best spinner in SA and he's also a decent bat, no reason he shouldn't be in the squad.
One reason would be that he's not going to play, so he's better off playing domestic cricket rather than carrying drinks. Maharaj has enough credit in the bag that Linde isn't going to replace him for now at least, and South Africa aren't going to pick two spinners at the Wanderers or Centurion.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member

Dendarii

International Debutant
Pretorius has a first-class average of 25 with a highest score of 81 not out. That makes him a better batsmen than the most of the other bowlers in the squad, but it's not like they've set the bar particularly high.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Pretorius has a first-class average of 25 with a highest score of 81 not out. That makes him a better batsmen than the most of the other bowlers in the squad, but it's not like they've set the bar particularly high.
Yeah those stats make him look decidedly sub-Philander (who was definitely a domestic #7, but didn't really cut it above that).

I think he could be better though.

SeamUp

International Coach
Crazy that a year ago he was deemed surplus at the Lions and playing in the T10 league.

Another line and bounce bowler to go with Lungi and Glenton.

Bahseph

State Captain
Could we be seeing some more additions to the squad over the next few days? With two fixtures affected by Covid, we could have some Proteas who tested positive.