• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Dendarii

International Debutant
Yeah, I'm also not convinced that De Kock should be captain and keeper in tests. If he's not keeping then it's not as much of a concern, but I still wonder whether someone else might be a better choice for tests. The problem is that there's no obvious choice, but I'd be inclined to give it to Markram.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I think Elgar should be captain for now. But I don't actually think QDK is captaining, as I've said, he seems to be just following instructions.

Heboric

International Debutant
First Test Tour to Pakistan in 1997/98
1:32 for some GOLD

That Symcox non-dismissal :laugh::laugh:. What were those wickets made out of ?

Going by the highlights everybody was commentating for that match, a whos who of commentating. When Quirk was on I swear I could hear the tinkle of gin glasses

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
This game was a laugh. Remember following it at university in a lab and couldn't believe what was happening.

SeamUp

International Coach
That Symcox non-dismissal :laugh::laugh:. What were those wickets made out of ?

Going by the highlights everybody was commentating for that match, a whos who of commentating. When Quirk was on I swear I could hear the tinkle of gin glasses
I will never forget groundsman were trying to sabotage the pitch during one of the test matches in that series.

:laugh: Good old Quirk. Who are the other comms ? Shastri & Blofeld ?

SeamUp

International Coach
Good news. Sri Lanka is happening.

There has been more drama amongst the interim board in recent days but let's enjoy the good news.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Steyn's latest hairstyle is pretty wild. Kinda matches his recent exploits with the ball haha. We had the cropped short back and sides look when he was dominating batting line-ups from the late 00s to the mid 10s - such a consistent and potent test match bowler he was!

Bahseph

State Captain
So realistically we will see:
1. Elgar
2. Markram
3. Rassie
4. Faf du Plessis
5. Bavuma
6. Mulder
7. QDK
8. Keshav
9. Nortje
10. Ngidi
11. Hendricks

SeamUp

International Coach
I reckon so.

Erwee, Petersen, Verreynne all uncapped. Unless they don't want QdK to keep that should be the top 7.

So only Stuurman as back up bowler.

Bahseph

State Captain
I like that Mulder is back. And that Malan has been replaced with Markram. I'm not happy about Bavuma being there. Still just the one hundred.

Dendarii

International Debutant
So realistically we will see:
1. Elgar
2. Markram
3. Rassie
4. Faf du Plessis
5. Bavuma
6. Mulder
7. QDK
8. Keshav
9. Nortje
10. Ngidi
11. Hendricks
Faf is the main concern for me in that line-up (well Bavuma too, but we all know why he's there). He's proved that he can still cut it in the shorter format, but his last test outing wasn't great.

So I wonder whether it would be a better option to bring Petersen for Faf and have him bat at 3, since he is a 3 and I don't think Rassie usually bats there. That would also make the politicians a bit happier, which as much as we don't like it, is something we do have to consider when picking a South African side.

Dendarii

International Debutant
And that Malan has been replaced with Markram.
Malan was an injury replacement for Markram, so It's more a case of Markram returning and Malan being replaced with Erwee. Erwee is only a few months younger than Malan, so not a long-term selection, but he's the form opener at the moment (after Markram), so it's not unreasonable to pick him as a backup.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I am surprised at the Erwee for Malan replacement. Erwee done nothing amazing and Malan done nothing wrong.

I would not mind Stuurman in place of Hendricks in the team. Not a big fan of Hendricks and Stuurman has become very much a like replacement for Philander (bowling wise). No Linde is also disappointing. I am also surprised at the small size of the squad considering that there is meant to be a strict bio-bubble. Can't just call people in from outside easily?