• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

SeamUp

International Coach
I am just hoping they are giving the young batsmen as much opportunity at 4-day as possible for the Test squad against SL later this year.
Realistically they going to go back to Markram, P.Malan & Petersen for the squad.

Hamza has time to come right after a tough season but I think I have seen enough of De Bruyn to know that I would rather go to others first even if he gets back to domestic runs.

I think Moore & Second have blown any chance they might have had for a test debut. Erwee - they probably see Markram and Malan ahead of him.

The youngsters with a chance realistically are van Tonder, Ackerman and Mulder ? No 100 for Ackerman this season so I'm ruling him out.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
If you just have Markram back up top with Elgar and bring in van Tonder and Mulder, you already have a far superior top 6 with a future to build on.

Mulder and QDK in the team immediately give far more flexibility in what we can and have to play on so many levels. The you can play the extra bat and gives the talented youngsters a chance to shine.

Dendarii

International Debutant
The youngsters with a chance realistically are van Tonder, Ackerman and Mulder ?
Mulder surely gets in if Pretorius is still injured, and hopefully gets in even if he's recovered.

Since it's a home series they'll probably go with seven batsmen in the squad i.e. six starters and one backup, although they might pick an extended squad because of COVID protocols.

But working on the assumption of seven, from the ODI squad I'd imagine that De Kock, Bavuma, and Van Der Dussen will be there. They'll need two openers, which leaves two spots available. So Petersen and then maybe either Verreynne or Van Tonder?

SeamUp

International Coach
Mulder surely gets in if Pretorius is still injured, and hopefully gets in even if he's recovered.

Since it's a home series they'll probably go with seven batsmen in the squad i.e. six starters and one backup, although they might pick an extended squad because of COVID protocols.

But working on the assumption of seven, from the ODI squad I'd imagine that De Kock, Bavuma, and Van Der Dussen will be there. They'll need two openers, which leaves two spots available. So Petersen and then maybe either Verreynne or Van Tonder?
I would be amazed and disappointed if he wasn't. Hopefully a blessing in disguise the Pretorius injury.

I think you spot on there. That will probably be the make up of the test squad batting. Then what will also be interesting is if they want to bat QdK 4 again does he keep the gloves.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Then what will also be interesting is if they want to bat QdK 4 again does he keep the gloves.
I think he keeps. Qeshile isn't ready and all of the other options are white (presumably Verreynne is the frontrunner, but Second didn't do his cause any harm with his 171), which could make things awkward. So probably the only way another keeper comes in is if they drop Van der Dussen, and I don't think they're going to do that.

SeamUp

International Coach

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Well its probably the right thing to do. I would rather us be playing in Aus and the board still making some money, than having series cancelled here in SA.

SeamUp

International Coach
Well its probably the right thing to do. I would rather us be playing in Aus and the board still making some money, than having series cancelled here in SA.
Of course but by all accounts we didn't do anything wrong for the England series. Just that England didn't really want to be here and weren't keeping to covid protocols and now it is a who did more wrong media leaking fight.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Simple fact is that regardless of protocols, Covid is spreading like wildfire here. It always has a chance of getting the tour cancelled. I would rather our players be off overseas playing in safer environments than trying to play here. And us being able to watch. Particularly when supporters have no chance of actual attendance any time soon of sporting events.

SeamUp

International Coach
Test series vs Sri Lanka now in doubt.

Pakistan series ends after the Australia home series was meant to start so it is obviously being re-scheduled but with it stuck to Perth I imagine it will now become a 2-test series (1 game at new Perth stadium & maybe 1 at the Waca). Losing another test sadly if right.

Heboric

International Debutant
The whole Perth will mean no SABC coverage then, which will be dissapointing.

I am not in the "its for the best' camp, just adds fuel to the 'Oh Africa, snigger snigger' camp. Things should be done correctly to show the world we can do things

SeamUp

International Coach
Supposedly test squad for Sri Lanka announced Friday and de Kock will be announced Test captain.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Supposedly test squad for Sri Lanka announced Friday and de Kock will be announced Test captain.
Remain unconvinced by his captaincy based on the little I saw of it in the T20s, but really think it's a bad call to weigh down RSA's best batsman with the captain's armband and the keeper's gloves even if he were Mike Brearley's lovechild.

Elgar not a possibility?

Heboric

International Debutant
Remain unconvinced by his captaincy based on the little I saw of it in the T20s, but really think it's a bad call to weigh down RSA's best batsman with the captain's armband and the keeper's gloves even if he were Mike Brearley's lovechild.

Elgar not a possibility?
Agree with this, one thing captaining a t20 side, but tests it would be a mistake IMHO