• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Dendarii

International Debutant
So where is this 60% supposed to come from? Domestically, it's the white players who are scoring runs and taking wickets (although maybe that's a bit more even). We've already got too many players in the side who aren't up to international level. so the last thing we need is to be forced to pick even more.

SeamUp

International Coach
So where is this 60% supposed to come from? Domestically, it's the white players who are scoring runs and taking wickets (although maybe that's a bit more even). We've already got too many players in the side who aren't up to international level. so the last thing we need is to be forced to pick even more.
They have no clue.

The further we slip out the England, Australia, India bubble we had for so long the tougher it will be to get back. We struggling to re-build as it is without thinking we need to select the best available team to give us our best chance.

Too many people are worried about winning brownie points and being nice. I just want to watch our best cricketers be the best they can be and if that makes us more competitive & to keep the interest of England, India, Australia that should in-turn help us financially to bring better planned investment to grassroots to continue growing the game at that level.

Bahseph

State Captain
It's the mentality that has been ingrained in our government for too long. They don't want to do the hard yards and put money into development of good young players of colour. Instead they showcase transformation by shoehorning people into positions that they aren't suited too. This applies in every facet of life here in SA btw. It's going to take a mentality shift which I don't think enough people will have the backbone to stand by.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I see that Rabada was actually injured and won't be available for the next 3 weeks. Perversely, I am not unhappy about that, I do think that SA need to stop relying so much on Rabada. Need to do it without Rabada and with Rabada be that much better.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
How does everybody feel about QDK's captaining at the moment? He appears to be struggling from behind the stumps to talk to his players but I am also wondering who is in control of the team?

Bahseph

State Captain
I think he is relying on Faf for those little chats with the bowlers. That's what I've seen on TV atleast.

How is our bowling going to lineup? Ngidi and Nortje for sure. Then Shamsi. I'm guessing Keshav will play if Andile is fit. And if he isn't then Linde and maybe Beuran/Sipamla? I actually think Sipamla is better suited for ODIs.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I think he is relying on Faf for those little chats with the bowlers. That's what I've seen on TV atleast.
Faf was not doing that either though, definitely not from out on the boundary and with no real senior bowlers nobody was speaking to Sipamla when he was getting carted. And if I hear the words 'process' or 'executing skills properly' again I am going to.... probably continue watching but get even more irritated...

The point feels like they have a 'game plan' and everybody knows what it is and so everybody knows what to do and so everybody does it regardless... and so there does not appear to be an actual leadership role out there on the field. The players have been given a set of instructions to follow and must follow. If they don't do it well enough then they are not 'executing the skills properly'...

SeamUp

International Coach
I've never seen QdK as captain material but it did surprise me how well he had done up until this series. Combining captaincy, runs and keeping.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Has Rassie had captaincy experience? Just my impression, but he seems like he'd be a decent choice. I just don't see QdK being a long-term option, or is that mantle ascribed to Markram?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
How does everybody feel about QDK's captaining at the moment? He appears to be struggling from behind the stumps to talk to his players but I am also wondering who is in control of the team?
I've never seen QdK as captain material but it did surprise me how well he had done up until this series. Combining captaincy, runs and keeping.
Yeah, it's a tough old gig, opening, keeping and captaining.

I don't set an awful amount of store in body language, but his has looked pretty awful in the last couple of games especially: hunched shoulders, permanent scowl, very little in the way of encouragement to his bowlers.

& I'm guessing English isn't his first language, but his post-match interviews have been painful at times.

I'd let him concentrate on being RSA's best batsman rather than weigh him down with something he doesn't necessarily seem suited too.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I see that Rabada was actually injured and won't be available for the next 3 weeks. Perversely, I am not unhappy about that, I do think that SA need to stop relying so much on Rabada. Need to do it without Rabada and with Rabada be that much better.
Concern is if he isn't fit for Sri Lanka, Ngidi will have to play the tests and he was blowing out of his ass after 2 overs in the 20/20s. He doesn’t look fit enough for limited overs cricket let alone test cricket.

Bahseph

State Captain
Compared to Rabada and Nortje,Ngidi does look very unathletic. But for our sake I hope appearances are deceiving!

SeamUp

International Coach
Reeza, Faf, van Biljon & Fortuin released from the squad. If you include Pretorius and Rabada's injuries the squad for the ODIs is :

Quinton de Kock
Temba Bavuma
Janneman Malan

Rassie van der Dussen
JJ Smuts

Dave Miller
Kyle Verreynne
Heinrich Klaasen

Andile Phehlukwayo

George Linde
Keshav Maharaj

Tabraiz Shamsi

Anrich Nortje
Lungi Ngidi
Lutho Sipamla
Beuran Hendricks
Junior Dala
Glenton Stuurman

SeamUp

International Coach
Limited overs squad not there going by their 50-over domestic performances and or potential.

Breetzke
Rickelton (wk)
de Zorzi
Hamza
Mulder
Marais
Smith
Coetzee
Jansen
Magala
Dupavillon

12th Ntini
13th Qeshile
14th Roelofsen
15th Galiem
16th Potgieter

Ackerman and van Tonder have only scored 4-day runs.

Think Makwetu has finisher potential but needs performance.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Yeah, it's a tough old gig, opening, keeping and captaining.

I don't set an awful amount of store in body language, but his has looked pretty awful in the last couple of games especially: hunched shoulders, permanent scowl, very little in the way of encouragement to his bowlers.

I'd let him concentrate on being RSA's best batsman rather than weigh him down with something he doesn't necessarily seem suited too.
English is his first language but I just think he hates interviews :laugh:

I can't believe how well it went before now though and we have another problem in that there isn't anyone who could be captain bar maybe Miller (through experience) or vd Dussen (scoring runs even if SR is an issue) & Smuts/Bavuma (been a captain but still early days into their limited overs career but have doubts over their longevity anyway).

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
My issue is he appears not to be captaining? When we saw him early days he was more active and speaking to the bowlers and fielders, now he is not. I want to know why; what has changed?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Reeza, Faf, van Biljon & Fortuin released from the squad. If you include Pretorius and Rabada's injuries the squad for the ODIs is :

Quinton de Kock
Temba Bavuma
Janneman Malan

Rassie van der Dussen
JJ Smuts

Dave Miller
Kyle Verreynne
Heinrich Klaasen

Andile Phehlukwayo

George Linde
Keshav Maharaj

Tabraiz Shamsi

Anrich Nortje
Lungi Ngidi
Lutho Sipamla
Beuran Hendricks
Junior Dala
Glenton Stuurman
I am just hoping they are giving the young batsmen as much opportunity at 4-day as possible for the Test squad against SL later this year.