• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa Quota System

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Apparently the current 50% policy isn't being followed so who knows.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'll straight up refuse to watch South Africa play cricket if that happens, until I inevitably cave of course.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
surely this will just lead to more kolpak's leaving the ranks? if a player is good enough then wont they make it into the team no matter what colour they are?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Good news for England, tbh. :ph34r:

Seriously, it's a joke. How many black (as opposed to non-white) cricketers would make an SA XI on merit?

Valer

First Class Debutant
Good news for England, tbh. :ph34r:

Seriously, it's a joke. How many black (as opposed to non-white) cricketers would make an SA XI on merit?
If you want proper blacks (i.e no cape coloured) there hasn't been a black player consistently in the team since Ntini.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
By "black" do they mean "Black African" or do they mean "not white"?

And if its the latter, where does "white" end? Is Hashim Amla included in the 60%? Is JP Duminy? Philander?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The article Rigga posted definitely says "black", which I took to mean "black African" as defined by the old Apartheid race classifications.

South African articles, hailing as they do from a country where they're very sensitive about such things, albeit understandably so, usually refer to anyone who isn't white as "non-white" or "formerly disadvantaged" rather than "black". Except Tahir, who I'm pretty sure I once read wouldn't count as such because he didn't grow up in the republic.

Marius

International Debutant
The article Rigga posted definitely says "black", which I took to mean "black African" as defined by the old Apartheid race classifications.

South African articles, hailing as they do from a country where they're very sensitive about such things, albeit understandably so, usually refer to anyone who isn't white as "non-white" or "formerly disadvantaged" rather than "black". Except Tahir, who I'm pretty sure I once read wouldn't count as such because he didn't grow up in the republic.
No, actually in current South African government parlance, black means anyone who is not white, so this would include Amla, Petersen, Duminy, Philander etc. The South African government says African when it means 'black African'.

That said, this is ridiculous. CSA is falling over itself to get black guys at high-level. Kagiso Rabada, who was one of SA's stand-out players at the U-19 World Cup, has received a high-performance contract from CSA, as did Khaya Zondo, Mangaliso Mosehle, and Themba Bavuma. A number of promsing white players dod too though, such as Simon Harmer and Stiaan van Zyl.

South Africa Cricket News: Dean Elgar gets CSA contract in Graeme Smith's place | ESPN Cricinfo

Don't really think this will go through to be honest, remember there is an election in South Africa in less than a month, so this is probably part of it.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Don't really think this will go through to be honest, remember there is an election in South Africa in less than a month, so this is probably part of it.
Hopefully that's all it is. Otherwise there will be even more future Kevin Pietersen's, plus the Springboks v All Blacks clash will be ruined.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Hopefully that's all it is. Otherwise there will be even more future Kevin Pietersen's, plus the Springboks v All Blacks clash will be ruined.
Good point hadn't even thought of that. Will be gutting to see the 2nd best team in the world fade away. This season they will challenge for the top spot if they get the right coaching.

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
Its just politicking, if it even happens though due to people ignoring these threats, it will just lead the long road in the not so far future, where even TEST playing teams are going to be privatized.

This surely is not much differenct than the 80s when South Africa got banned from competing, only difference is that now that sport is professional, there will be financial backing to start a private team that could could compete internationally.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Good point hadn't even thought of that. Will be gutting to see the 2nd best team in the world fade away. This season they will challenge for the top spot if they get the right coaching.
TBF it wasn't so very long ago that NZ kowtowed to the Apartheid regime by not selecting any Maoris or Pacific Islanders when they toured the republic.

Mind you the Lions toured SA as late as 1981 too, long after the SA cricket team had been banished, so glasshouses and all that.