• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sledging - Does it Work

Flem274*

123/5
the frequency you bring this example up suggests that this has happened to you
nah, just a favourite saying of the coach was variants of 'all results are certain until you duck into a knee' to remind us fights can be decided by one well placed shot, so never give up.

i was nowhere near ring ready and can't train atm because of working hours.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I have contradictory feelings about sledging. When I played I was so bad I had to concentrate just to keep the ball out. I was too busy with that to hear what anyone had to say or say anything myself. But if its a part of the game then so be it. I think its pathetic though at lower levels. People give their time to play the game they love. You'd have to be an expletive deletive to make an arse of yourself and try and ruin other people's enjoyment with sledging. At the higher levels (which I'd call any standard where players have higher ambitions of representation - so grade level 2 and up maybe) then you just have to put up with it. I mean I'd guess all high level sports have sledging. The administrators have to decide how serious they are in policing it then. They have the power to stamp it out. If they don't they are condoning it - which cricket appears to have done.
I agree 100% and am pleasantly surprised you feel this way about sledging

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is that because Whambino is without exception wrong about basically everything else?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
what's always got me with sledging is it permits you to say things that would get you knocked out at the pub, yet if you march over to slip and swing your bat you're the bad guy.

when haddin followed guptill around after his wc final dismissal clapping him off, guptill should have hit him. the whole 'nice guy respect opponent' thing doesn't apply if the opposition won't respect you and nz were doormats.

let's be honest, for all his flaws, ryder would have killed haddin and it would have been the right thing to do.
Exactly right. Haddin did it to Vettori as well, it was gutter filth. Absolute lowest of the low. And even more pathetically it was when he was out, what's the point?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't disagree with the sentiment here at all, but defining it as you have is the classic exercise in "not crossing the line" thinking for which others are rightly criticized.
You mean trying to identify the line? Wasn't that a Justin Langer thing? Just watched The Test....geez he's a cringy mother ****er. Cheesy as hell. If he'd not played 100 Tests he would've been openly laughed at.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Issue is where does the insults or borderline insults on ***ual or overall health, wife's ***ual or overall health, children's IQ, drinking habits come in? How fare to ask how his momma's ***** smell like or how Lara's dick taste like?
They're pathetic. Speaks to the type of person or lack thereof that delivers them. Fairly certain Pat Cummins never called anyone a ***** or talked about their wife, yet he's the best fast bowler in the world. It's so ****ing unnecessary. All it is, is revealing of the lack of character and instability a person has. I've never understood why different rules govern how you talk to someone in a game of cricket than walking down the street. Never heard anyone pull a deal on someone in sales then tell them to **** off back to their fat wife.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
TBF, of the fab 4 of bowling, I guess Bumrah and Cummins are great examples of folks who don't need to sledge to be successful. But then again Rabada and Jofra seem rather intent on sledging even if it is for no purpose. And I guess Warne has successfully gotten into the head of Starc so much that he seems to sledge every player nowadays.

trundler

I don't think many batsmen were pleased to see Marshall smiling at them after receiving a deadly bouncer either

Flem274*

123/5
irl personal sledging is endemic in backyard cricket with mates, but that's because they're your mates so there's nothing to it, it's just funny (and also wouldn't be haha your gf cheated haha).

i tend to like my fiery bowlers so i enjoy game related trash talk, but even then it can reveal character. the only peep out of mitchell starc in the recent series was to jeet raval. so brave, what a courageous man. revealed a lot about his character and reflects his test career. some flashes of genius and a lot of downhill skiing.

i guess though i can't judge too harshly. if i could bowl 150kph and had blocky and ikki batting against me, i'd be getting a red card from the umpire.

Last edited:

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think many batsmen were pleased to see Marshall smiling at them after receiving a deadly bouncer either
Malcolm Marshall could intimidate in other ways too. When David Boon made his debut against the Windies he had the fearsome pace attack to deal with. After playing and missing a few, Marshall said, "Now David, are you going to get out now or am I going to have to bowl around the wicket and kill you?"

Flem274*

123/5
Malcolm Marshall could intimidate in other ways too. When David Boon made his debut against the Windies he had the fearsome pace attack to deal with. After playing and missing a few, Marshall said, "Now David, are you going to get out now or am I going to have to bowl around the wicket and kill you?"
would be scarier and classier if he'd left out the bolded.

Burgey

You mean trying to identify the line? Wasn't that a Justin Langer thing? Just watched The Test....geez he's a cringy mother ****er. Cheesy as hell. If he'd not played 100 Tests he would've been openly laughed at.
You haven’t addressed the point though. Like I said, I agree with your original sentiment but the idea of “drawing a line” is implicit in your post, and I think it’s very difficult if not impossible to do it.

As for the balance of the thread, it’s provided some genuine laughter at Migara’s efforts. Woeful contributions

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
There was zero aggression. Even the ugliest insults were delivered with a straight face.

And of course knocking me out was not an easy task.
I've tracked down an old Facebook post of Migara's from when he lived in Ireland.

the big bambino

International Captain
I agree 100% and am pleasantly surprised you feel this way about sledging
I do feel there is some calculation in the mind of the sledger. Taking advantage of cricket's non contact nature. So they're reasonably sure there won't be physical retaliation. Also I suspect sledgers pick weaker targets. People who can't retaliate because they are physically weaker. Or not as good a player. Which looks awfully alot like bullying to me: and not overly brave ... Surely you can take out a weaker opponent without the unnecessary aggression? I mean the only reason you are lucky enough to be playing the game and getting some glory or satisfaction out of it is that others have also decided to participate. Respect that others have given the opportunity to play and get the reward of some success.

Those comments apply for all levels of cricket but at the higher levels there have been many cases of players suffering mental health problems. There were also the pointed questions in the inquest after Hughes' death. I don't agree with people like Chappelli who bag administrators all the time. I think they've done many good things. But I think they will be compelled to end the practice. It seems there has already been a warning that allowing sledging is negligent management of your playing employees.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I had a chat today with the perpetrator of the worst sledging backfire in my experience

Long story short

Uni put a team in local competition and we had a former test batsman, a Shield squad fast bowler and an Indian fc spinner in our ranks

Standard was 3rd/4th grade

All very social on our side as Friday nights were massive

Opposition fast bowler mouthed off at former test player and he made 200

Best part was when a very young Symonds walked into bat, copped a mouthful and hit him onto the road

2 for about 450 played 27 in a 50 over game

He’s still a **** btw