• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sledging - Does it Work

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Sledging has been around for far longer than the term has been in use. It is used as a verbal distraction to break a players concentration. These "sledges" have varied from the clever to the downright crude - but we won't go into that.

Obviously some players are more susceptible to verbal distractions and some set themselves up as targets for abuse. What I'm interested in is those players who are affected by sledging and those one should avoid sledging. One in the latter category was, apparently, Doug Walters. Any form of abuse saw him grit his teeth and determinedly apply himself to foiling his opponents. He was more likely to succumb to friendly chatter about his card game in the shed.
Another player to avoid attacking verbally was Ken Barrington. He was once described as being like a bulldog with a Union Jack wrapped around his shoulders and any form of sledging would see him become more resolute in his application.
I look forward to reading other perceptions regarding individuals and the effectiveness (or otherwise) of sledging.

As a footnote, it was a sledge that indirectly led me to call stumps on my own playing career. I was 50 but still opening the bowling (in our lower grade side). I rarely, if ever, spoke to opposing batsmen preferring to glare or give a shake of my head to express my feelings. After he'd played and missed a few times I gave an opposing batsman a "look". He responded with, "What are you staring at grand-dad?" I thought, "Right! Time for a quicker short one." The young Turk turned his back on my intended bouncer only for it to hit him in the backside. I couldn't help myself. I marched down the wicket and said, "Sunshine, if you're scared of that and I can't get it up any higher we should both give the game away." I retired at the end of the season with the Association bowling award for that grade.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Viv Richards and Javed Miandad were very resistant to sledging. Ranatunga and Ganguly used to talk back, and it distracted best of the sledgers like Waugh, Warne and Healy as well. Guys like Tendulkar and Aravinda hardly responded (other than for Merv's midget comment).

Pietersen had few words with Asif, and Asif just destroyed him after that.

Personally, I used to be an ugly sledger, with reference to downright personal issues. One of the opposing batsman's girl has run away with a pilot. so I used to sign the grounding or take off an air plane when ever I ran passed him. Then I was discussing how Sangakkara cannot pick the arm ball in front of him with my colleagues (this was in 1998,he bloody well played it at that time), and then to see him drag an arm ball on to the stumps from an off spinner. Sanga was the toughest I have seen, played like a champ on utterly **** matting wickets when one bouncing head high and other scoot off the length. We knew then he was for greatness.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Need to pick your targets

Consensus opinion is that you never sledge the greats as it simply wakes them up

duffer

Personally, I used to be an ugly sledger, with reference to downright personal issues. One of the opposing batsman's girl has run away with a pilot. so I used to sign the grounding or take off an air plane when ever I ran passed him. Then I was discussing how Sangakkara cannot pick the arm ball in front of him with my colleagues (this was in 1998,he bloody well played it at that time), and then to see him drag an arm ball on to the stumps from an off spinner. Sanga was the toughest I have seen, played like a champ on utterly **** matting wickets when one bouncing head high and other scoot off the length. We knew then he was for greatness.
Lol, you're hardcore

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Not sure who are the players sledging works on but NZ proved conclusively that anti-sledging surely works on Virat.

mr_mister

Viv Richards and Javed Miandad were very resistant to sledging. Ranatunga and Ganguly used to talk back, and it distracted best of the sledgers like Waugh, Warne and Healy as well. Guys like Tendulkar and Aravinda hardly responded (other than for Merv's midget comment).

Pietersen had few words with Asif, and Asif just destroyed him after that.

Possibly the greatest post on this site. Quite a thrill ride

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
How high level was that game against sanga?
Inter faculty in the University. Pretty low level. Interuniversity, I have played with him. That is proper Division 2 level, and sometimes even better than it. University of Colombo had Saman Jayantha, Sangakkara, Jehan Mubarak and Hemantha Boteju, all eventually capped for SL. That was a ****ing strong side and we ground England combined university team on tour to dust with that side. I was not a regular, made it in to the team when others were busy with exams.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Inter faculty in the University. Pretty low level. Interuniversity, I have played with him. That is proper Division 2 level, and sometimes even better than it. University of Colombo had Saman Jayantha, Sangakkara, Jehan Mubarak and Hemantha Boteju, all eventually capped for SL. That was a ****ing strong side and we ground England combined university team on tour to dust with that side. I was not a regular, made it in to the team when others were busy with exams.
SL's schools and unis are great at producing top cricketers.

Is Hemantha Boteju a Hemang Badani type?

Woodster

International Captain
Need to pick your targets

Consensus opinion is that you never sledge the greats as it simply wakes them up
Yes agree with this, you’ve got to know who is worth trying to engage with and ultimately what you are trying to achieve; are you trying to unnerve them and make it a hostile and unpleasant environment for the batsman or are you trying to just break his concentration, will probably require different sledging approaches depending on the goal.

Even at club level you generally know the players that are going to react and lose concentration or those that are simply going to dig in even more.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Every batsman is sledgable. You just need to pick where it hurts them most.

Sri Lankans sledged Joe Root some times back viciously. Nothing was told to him. Mathews and few others got together in the vicinity of Root and were discussing the mechanics of the blow he received on face at the pub. Root himself has said it was unnerving. Root had moderate success in that to IIRC, and never went ton to big scores.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Sledging is all ****. Seriously. It usually equates with abuse, at club level anyway, where it's done most horribly.

There's definitely a place to say the right thing at the right time, or to put pressure on a guy by telling him how you're trying to get him out, that now is not the time to get out, or distract him in some way. But that's not the definition of sledging for me, that's just verbal gamesmanship. Sledging is the puerile ****, the snarling, the abuse, the sendoffs, all that horrible **** that has no place in cricket. Often speaks to the character or lack thereof of the deliverer.

Flem274*

123/5
what's always got me with sledging is it permits you to say things that would get you knocked out at the pub, yet if you march over to slip and swing your bat you're the bad guy.

when haddin followed guptill around after his wc final dismissal clapping him off, guptill should have hit him. the whole 'nice guy respect opponent' thing doesn't apply if the opposition won't respect you and nz were doormats.

let's be honest, for all his flaws, ryder would have killed haddin and it would have been the right thing to do.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Sledging is all ****. Seriously. It usually equates with abuse, at club level anyway, where it's done most horribly.

There's definitely a place to say the right thing at the right time, or to put pressure on a guy by telling him how you're trying to get him out, that now is not the time to get out, or distract him in some way. But that's not the definition of sledging for me, that's just verbal gamesmanship. Sledging is the puerile ****, the snarling, the abuse, the sendoffs, all that horrible **** that has no place in cricket. Often speaks to the character or lack thereof of the deliverer.
Totally agree with this, it was probably the main reason I gave up club cricket. I love batting but to stand there for an hour or two each Saturday with a guy constantly yelling in your face about how crap you are, it’s just not fun.

Also saw a lot of stuff that really crossed a line, family coming into it etc, and got close to all in brawls on several occasions. I was usually standing in the field ready to make a run for it (in the opposite direction from the fight lol). Hope things have changed now at club level since the Blackcaps are promoting a more positive way of going about things.