• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should the doosra be taught to young spinners?

Riggins

International Captain
If I was coaching a young spinner I would be making sure he used at least the full 15 degrees.

watson

Banned
Over the wrist leg-spin is a superior method of turning the ball from leg to off. Young spinners may as well learn that technique instead.

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Over the wrist leg-spin is a superior method of turning the ball from leg to off. Young spinners may as well learn that technique instead.
The whole point of a doosra is to disguise it as an off break..

Shri

Mr. Glass
Yeah. To the ones who have learnt all the other **** that comes with being an offie. Sick of seeing ****s who mess up the stock ball and depend on everything but really letting a off break rip. At least in the matches played where I live.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Nah.

Delivery should be banned. Saqlain possibly the only bowler I've seen who could send it down and not look like a blatant chuck. & even the great man got a little elbow into it.

viriya

International Captain
Time for Australia and England cricket academies to get with the program imo.

watson

Banned
The whole point of a doosra is to disguise it as an off break..
Oh yeah. Well teach the 'arm ball' then.

Much the same effect and much less strain on the elbow joint and Law 24.3 at the same time. Actually there isn't any.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Would rather they learn the carrom ball instead. Far less likely to chuck it, and presumably less stress through the joints.

watson

Banned
Would rather they learn the carrom ball instead. Far less likely to chuck it, and presumably less stress through the joints.
Jack Iverson and Johnny Gleeson would be delighted with that idea.

It appears that Sledger was onto something afterall. No doubt he was thinking specifically of the 'Arm Ball' and 'Carrom Ball' when he posed the original question. Sledger?

Last edited:

watson

Banned
There is also the ball that 'Drifts' away from the right-hand batsman before spinning back. 'Drift' has been used to good effect by all the great Off Spinners.

So basically the Doosra is used by those Off-Spinners who haven't mastered, or can't be bothered mastering, the usual skills of the Off-Spin bowler.

Last edited:

viriya

International Captain
There is also the ball that 'Drifts' away from the right-hand batsman before spinning back. 'Drift' has been used to good effect by all the great Off Spinners.

So basically the Doosra is used by those Off-Spinners who haven't mastered, or can't be bothered mastering, the usual skills of the Off-Spin bowler.
I find it hard to believe that bowlers like Murali, Saqlain, Ajmal haven't mastered the non-doosra skills of bowling off-spin.