• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Brett Lee be selected for the Ashes?

Should Brett Lee be picked for the Ashes, and if so, who misses out?

• Yes - Johnson misses out

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - Siddle misses out

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There was never any concrete, clear-cut case that he was, no, but plenty on here were proclaiming he was so this time last year, and not many were arguing.

Myself I can't see how anyone could be said to have been better in the 7 months between November 2007 and June 2008, but that's clearly a very short period. And there were others who had some amount of case for being as good, at least, though not better.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Well he doesn't have to go back to being the best fast bowler in the world to be a better option than Hilfenhaus.
Hilfenhaus is an extremely promising bowler, imo, he has been quite unlucky and is a tad raw but I back him highly as a future Test prospect. Whether he can mature rapidly in Test cricket is one to be seen, but the mere fact that I consider such a possibility means I don't think he is far away from truly being worthy of opening for Australia on a regular basis.

Jakester1288

International Regular
lee was never and never will be the best seamer in the world
Well who would you rate better when he tore apart Sri Lanka and India during the 2007/08 series after returning from an injury? I think he was the best fast bowler during that period, taking 40 wickets @ 20.57. Steyn has a bloody good record during that time as well, 78 wickets @ 16.24.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nah, I've just been wanting a b****-slapping from Matt for a fair while, truth be told.

BTW, less of the Richo-ing from you. You're not the idiot Camel56 types (and you'll actually remember 'em).

Rant0r

International 12th Man
there's a few hilfy haters areound here, i fully rate him, but yes, raw, swings it at good pace, accurate, goes in hard all day, but he is only 2 tests in, siddle looked a little raw after 2 tests as well.

he needs to do a little more when the ball gets old i feel.

i'd also like to see a little more of bollinger, he's been running through state batsmen for years.

and to clarify, lee probably should have been the best bowler in the world at some point in time, but wasn't, and i don't count a handful of good tests as putting him in the upper echelon, that was probably simply what he should have been doing all along. on that basis paul reiffel was the best bowler in the world in '93

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Would have Hilfenhaus over Bollinger ATS.
It's pasag you're talking to though - the man who rates debuting Siddle ahead of Bollinger in India, and not dropping Johnson for Bollinger in the West Indies, as mistakes almost of the same magnitude as dropping Clark for White. :p

Personally though I agree with him in this instance: Bollinger is significantly better than Hilf.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
but bollinger is from sydney so the theory can still stand, but he's bald and doesn't have blonde hair, not even the advanced hair hat was blonde, someone should have told him

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Wannabe NSW-man, tbh.
Nah, it's all just a ruse; he actually lives in Bondi. We just thought it'd be a good idea to have a fake Victorian around so we could pull the old "Nah, we're not biased - look, a Victorian agrees!" in times of need.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah, it's all just a ruse; he actually lives in Bondi. We just thought it'd be a good idea to have a fake Victorian around so we could pull the old "Nah, we're not biased - look, a Victorian agrees!" in times of need.
Since when did NSW-men give a crap about what anyone else thinks? ****ing soft. Disgrace to your convict heritage.