• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Brett Lee be selected for the Ashes?

Should Brett Lee be picked for the Ashes, and if so, who misses out?

• Yes - Johnson misses out

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - Siddle misses out

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Can we get some odds on how many times Burgey will mention mints in the official tour thread?

Got 3/1 on at least 500. (h)

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
In a 16 man squad likely composition:
7 batsman
2 keepers
7 bowlers
(may take 17 which would likely be an extra bowler)

7 bowler breakdown:
1 spinner (would take two if we had any decent ones, but gotta play to our strengths)
1 batting allrounder (can come into team as top 6 batsman if emergency)
5 pacemen

which leads me to :
McGain
Watson
Johnson, Siddle, Clark, Lee, Hilfenhouse

Although atleast one of those guys is likely to be injured I'll add McKay as a likely tourist or replacement and Bollinger and Greeves as next in line (hope we don't need em) emergencies.

Also selectors may feel that Watson is better bet than North at 6, so then Watson would take a batting spot in the squad and McDonald would take Watson's Spot.

Cheers

Rant0r

International 12th Man
i don't think they'll take 16 though, they used to take 17 when there was a heap or tour games on, then dropped it to 16, i forget how many they took last time (maybe 15) but i do remember hodge and clark spending most of their time with their feet up in the dressing room.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i don't think they'll take 16 though, they used to take 17 when there was a heap or tour games on, then dropped it to 16, i forget how many they took last time (maybe 15) but i do remember hodge and clark spending most of their time with their feet up in the dressing room.
Clark didn't go - t'was Tait IIRC.

I think they'll take 15, but there's talk of only 14 and calling in subs as required from guys in County Cricket.

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
The side is still somewhat in transition and not as settled as last time.

They need to be able to change strategy slightly if things are going pear shaped. Would be pretty confident of 16 man squad. Injuries are also likely to occur to fast bowlers, and the selectors probably want to groom a second keeper (likely Wade) so 17 is not out of the question either.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
It's pasag you're talking to though - the man who rates debuting Siddle ahead of Bollinger in India, and not dropping Johnson for Bollinger in the West Indies, as mistakes almost of the same magnitude as dropping Clark for White. :p

Personally though I agree with him in this instance: Bollinger is significantly better than Hilf.
Well based on the 1 test i've seen Bollinger in & all i've seen of Hilfenhaus can't agree personally.

Looking ahead to the Ashes squad as well, where 5 quicks will be picked. Presuming 4 could be Johnson/Siddle/Clark/Lee, Hilfenhaus has done enough in SA to tour.

pasag

RTDAS
Hilfenhaus has done enough in SA to tour.
5 wickets at 46? I think Hilfenhaus has shown that in helpful conditions he can be ok, at times and in non helpful conditions he's useless. Might be very good in the future, but currently nowhere near good enough.

gwo

U19 Debutant
If he has played a test or game of shield cricket, probably yes. Hilfenhaus would miss out for mine.

I would take Lee, Clark, Siddle, Bollinger, Watson/McDonald as the paceman, and McGain/whatever spinner takes wicket for the spinner.
Johnson*

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Clark didn't go - t'was Tait IIRC.

I think they'll take 15, but there's talk of only 14 and calling in subs as required from guys in County Cricket.
clark wasn't in the original touring party, but he was called up as cover and was there for the majority of the tour

Rant0r

International 12th Man
The side is still somewhat in transition and not as settled as last time.

They need to be able to change strategy slightly if things are going pear shaped. Would be pretty confident of 16 man squad. Injuries are also likely to occur to fast bowlers, and the selectors probably want to groom a second keeper (likely Wade) so 17 is not out of the question either.
i don't think they took a second keeper last time, they did however take a pair of pacemen that were down on form despite their obvious results over the previous 18 months (dizzy and kasper).

wade is a big call, ronchi appears to be the second in line but couldn't buy a run this year, still managed to get picked for a pair of t20's, and manou and hartley have just had big years

Andrew Symonds

Simple enough.
er no, there's probably many in front of him at this stage, many who are in form, and many who are less, how do you say, erratic

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Of course he should be there. One poor season doesn't make your best bowler useless just like that.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
i don't think they took a second keeper last time, they did however take a pair of pacemen that were down on form despite their obvious results over the previous 18 months (dizzy and kasper).

wade is a big call, ronchi appears to be the second in line but couldn't buy a run this year, still managed to get picked for a pair of t20's, and manou and hartley have just had big years

er no, there's probably many in front of him at this stage, many who are in form, and many who are less, how do you say, erratic
Ronchi got dropped for the WA team; surely he wouldn't be second in line for Tests anymore...

Rant0r

International 12th Man
who know's what the selectors are thinking, they seem to have ideas in their mind regardless of form, ronchi was already having a crap season when he was picked for the t20's. voges was picked for the one dayers and t20's despite also having a sub-par season.

and of course for years macgill would always get picked when warne was injured/suspended even if he was dishing up pies in the shield.

also brad hogg didn't command a state berth towards the end of his career but was still australias number one one day bowler.

having said that, if ronchi is not second in line anymore, i'd be interested to know who is, manou has just had an awesome season after hardly making any useful consistent runs in seasons past, and from all reports is an excellent keeper, as is hartley, who is also making runs. wade is barely number one in his own adopted state after being pushed out of tasmania by paine and clingeleffer, but he could cement his place very soon

Jakester1288

International Regular
If he has played a test or game of shield cricket, probably yes. Hilfenhaus would miss out for mine.

I would take Lee, Clark, Siddle, Bollinger, Watson/McDonald as the paceman, and McGain/whatever spinner takes wicket for the spinner.
****, forgot Johnson and I can't edit the post anymore.

Johnson would be first seamer picked, FTR.