• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shootout in Lahore

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Given that I don't know exactly in full what both of them said, I'd best refrain from commenting further.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Fusion,

Watch this video and make your own judgement to me it seems there was no resistance all.
3 News > Video > World > ICC referee says Pakistan security forces failed players

We ****ed up big time, and Butt should admit it. He has no right to act like a shameless prick.
Xuhaib, that video shows a limited view of what was going on. We can’t possibly know what was going on from all angles. For instance, the terrorist were shooting not just at the vans in the video, but past the vans. Who were they shooting at? I’m pretty sure it was police officers. Broad and everyone else on the van was down on the floor trying to avoid getting hit. They had no view of what was happening outside. Here’s a statement from Mohammad Khalil, the bus driver of the SL van that has been praised by all for his bravery:

Khalil denies security allegation

Bus driver Mohammad Khalil, who saved Lankan cricketers strongly denied allegations of lack of security for teams.
He said, he was able to drive the team to safety only because policemen tackled terrorists."What happened was unfortunate and shocking but security was always there for them," Khalil said.
"I salute those brave policemen who lost their lives in the attack. If they had not kept the attackers engaged I would never have got a chance to race towards the stadium. They lost their lives for the visiting team," he said.

Khalil denies security allegation | espnstar.com

Now once again I want to emphasize that I’m not defending the security. I am only saying it’s unfair to accuse all policemen on the scene of cowardice when several of them lost their lives.

Fusion

Global Moderator
And as if the ICC is going to do ANYTHING to Broad and the other officials at the moment. The ICC will be damn lucky if they don't get sued for an absolute stack by those officials, given they manifestly failed in providing them a safe work environment.
My thoughts exactly. Broad and all others that day have a perfect right to sue the PCB. They were promised Presidential level security that was clearly not provided. I hope they do sue and take the PCB to the cleaners.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Trouble with the PCB being sued to the cleaners is that those who lost big through that would probably once again be those who're pretty innocent in any wrongdoing.

It's usually the way when a big corporation gets sued.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Taufel and Broad were in the same minibus though. If they don't say the same thing, who will?

jeevan

International 12th Man
Xuhaib, that video shows a limited view of what was going on. We can’t possibly know what was going on from all angles. For instance, the terrorist were shooting not just at the vans in the video, but past the vans. Who were they shooting at? I’m pretty sure it was police officers. Broad and everyone else on the van was down on the floor trying to avoid getting hit. They had no view of what was happening outside. Here’s a statement from Mohammad Khalil, the bus driver of the SL van that has been praised by all for his bravery:

Khalil denies security allegation

Bus driver Mohammad Khalil, who saved Lankan cricketers strongly denied allegations of lack of security for teams.
He said, he was able to drive the team to safety only because policemen tackled terrorists."What happened was unfortunate and shocking but security was always there for them," Khalil said.
"I salute those brave policemen who lost their lives in the attack. If they had not kept the attackers engaged I would never have got a chance to race towards the stadium. They lost their lives for the visiting team," he said.

Khalil denies security allegation | espnstar.com

Now once again I want to emphasize that I’m not defending the security. I am only saying it’s unfair to accuse all policemen on the scene of cowardice when several of them lost their lives.
The most direct allegation of incompetence of Pakistani policemen appears to be coming from the Pakistani government itself.

Or at least that is what I think it means when the governor talks of security flaws at a very low level.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Taufel and Broad were in the same minibus though. If they don't say the same thing, who will?
Just pointing that out. As Pakistani cricket folks, left right and center, are calling for action against Broad.

That list now includes Younis Khan, which is disconcerting.

Isolator

State 12th Man
If I remember correctly, the other ump, Steve Davis (right?) said that they (the umpires/match officials) were abandoned by the security forces once the shooting started - that they ran to some other location (either to the SL bus, or somewhere else, or just ran away). I think if you look at Broad's statements in light of this, it's more likely he meant that the umpire's bus got no assistance - not that there were NO cops around at all. Taufel also said something similar, I think, about how they were left alone and how there was no reason for them not being killed. Just pure luck.

Julian87

State Captain
Wow. I have just read the articles featuring the interviews with Broad and Taufel. I am stunned at such an utter lack of respect for the officials, and from all reports, bravery and general empathy from security/police personnell. Not taking anything away from those that lost their lives and fought back, but to those cops/security guys who fled or hid during the battle, I could not think littler of you. I can not believe some of the things I have read..

Craig

World Traveller
Surely finding out who was responsible for the attacks and looking at ways of preventing this from happening again and convincing cricket teams to tour again would be more important then what Broad said? FFS he nearly lost his life, did the PCB expect him to be singing their praises? Of course not.

So sick of their attitude.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I think ICC, match officals and the SL team has all the rights to take legal action against PCB. This is what was promised to ICC before the tour was agreed.

The salient features of the pact are: a) A police officer no less than the rank of SP shall be permanently attached with the team as Liaison Officer, who will not only travel with the visiting team but would stay at the hotel with the team. His primary responsibility is to act as coordinator between the commander of the stadium and all other commanders including the City Chief Traffic Officer, jurisdictional SP of the team route, and the stadium in charge, namely SP Model Town.

b) The agreed SoPs sealed and signed by Pakistani Government (Interior Ministry) stipulated the following:

i) Two routes for the visiting team's travel to and fro from hotel to the stadium shall be made available.

ii) The final route shall be decided by the accompanying SP of the team at the recommendation of the Command and Control Centre at the venue.

iii) The route shall be completely sealed off with blockade of arteries leading to the road where the team were to travel.

iv) One hour before the scheduled departure of the team from the hotel all vehicles parked within 200 yards of the road would either be removed or towed.

v) Special Branch police will sweep the 200 yards area leading to the route with sniffer dogs and electronic gadgets.

vi) Special Branch personnel would be deployed well in advance in the dwellings close to the proposed routes to gather Intel.

vii) Sharp shooters would be deployed on all high rises on route and around the stadium.

viii) The team convoy would move in a box formation meaning thereby that there would be two pilots (traffic wardens) followed by an Elite Force vehicle, umpires van, team bus, and two Elite Force vehicles to provide cover to the bus on both side and one at the tail. These vehicles would be followed by ambulance and fire engine.

ix) These were the agreed SoPs signed off by Rehman Malik and the security consultants who made these observations inter-alia other measures to be taken.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I think ICC, match officals and the SL team has all the rights to take legal action against PCB. This is what was promised to ICC before the tour was agreed.

The salient features of the pact are: a) A police officer no less than the rank of SP shall be permanently attached with the team as Liaison Officer, who will not only travel with the visiting team but would stay at the hotel with the team. His primary responsibility is to act as coordinator between the commander of the stadium and all other commanders including the City Chief Traffic Officer, jurisdictional SP of the team route, and the stadium in charge, namely SP Model Town.

b) The agreed SoPs sealed and signed by Pakistani Government (Interior Ministry) stipulated the following:

i) Two routes for the visiting team's travel to and fro from hotel to the stadium shall be made available.

ii) The final route shall be decided by the accompanying SP of the team at the recommendation of the Command and Control Centre at the venue.

iii) The route shall be completely sealed off with blockade of arteries leading to the road where the team were to travel.

iv) One hour before the scheduled departure of the team from the hotel all vehicles parked within 200 yards of the road would either be removed or towed.

v) Special Branch police will sweep the 200 yards area leading to the route with sniffer dogs and electronic gadgets.

vi) Special Branch personnel would be deployed well in advance in the dwellings close to the proposed routes to gather Intel.

vii) Sharp shooters would be deployed on all high rises on route and around the stadium.

viii) The team convoy would move in a box formation meaning thereby that there would be two pilots (traffic wardens) followed by an Elite Force vehicle, umpires van, team bus, and two Elite Force vehicles to provide cover to the bus on both side and one at the tail. These vehicles would be followed by ambulance and fire engine.

ix) These were the agreed SoPs signed off by Rehman Malik and the security consultants who made these observations inter-alia other measures to be taken.
Well, after this incident, will security teams that are sent to inspect security situation in Pakistan believe what the PCB says regarding security? They can always say that the PCB gives security only on paper. The only solution is to stage an international event in Pakistan without any incident in the future. Good luck to them.

Precambrian

Banned
Cricket in Pakistan is so screwed. I have deepest sympathies for the heroes who lost their lives protecting the visitors. But when the enemy is within, it is plain foolishness to travel to Pakistan anymore.

It is unbelievable that not even one attacker was killed/apprehended during the attack, and laughable that, in this moment of crisis, the PCB chairman is complaining about the Match Referree because he talked his mind. Bloody hell, you fail to protect the visiting team, and you complain about them afterwards for protesting the poor security? What loser.

Xuhaib

International Coach
A Program on one Pakistani channel, as usual living in their own fairy land :-

YouTube - Zaid Hamid on Lahore Attacks Part1
8-)

There are also some Indian journalist and media people who follow the same journalism style as Zaid Hamid does so should I just start posting their articles just to create pointless debates.

Sanz, I think you are intelligent enough to understand that Zaid Hamid looks to target that specific small segment which is always ready to entertain conspiracy theories and he plays well to his audience. Rational thinking people should just ignore him and not even look at his garbage.

Evermind

International Debutant
8-)

There are also some Indian journalist and media people who follow the same journalism style as Zaid Hamid does so should I just start posting their articles just to create pointless debates.
Yeah, the Indian media is pretty garbage. However, it has the opposite problem: it's got its head up Karl Marx's ass, and tries to discredit the local culture and history as much as possible.