• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shootout in Lahore

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I havent quoted a 'chap/girl'. It is an editorial in The Dawn, Pakistan's most respected English daily !
Yeah, I know - but editorials have to be written by someone. :p I presume it was a chap or a girl who wrote it.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just heard Javed Miandad has called for the ICC to ban Chris Broad for life because of Broad's comments about the security.

Now if this is true, and I'm not saying it is, well congrats Javed - run off and join Gavaskar in the holier-than-thou-how-dare-you-criticise-us corner. ****ing appalling on his part. After all this, what really counts is someone has made comments criticising the security.

No wonder the joint's gone to the ****ter.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Javaid was always a candidate for cricketers who go round the bend after they retire so his comments are not surprising as they have been trickling down for a decade now.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Meh, don't act like a basketcase if you don't want people calling you on it - fairly simple idea.

Matt79

Global Moderator
And as if the ICC is going to do ANYTHING to Broad and the other officials at the moment. The ICC will be damn lucky if they don't get sued for an absolute stack by those officials, given they manifestly failed in providing them a safe work environment.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And as if the ICC is going to do ANYTHING to Broad and the other officials at the moment. The ICC will be damn lucky if they don't get sued for an absolute stack by those officials, given they manifestly failed in providing them a safe work environment.
Imagine the ICC - Look Chris, we understand you've been through a fair bit, but really those commetns were uncalled for.

You're sacked.

Surely not even the ICC could...........

Yeah they could. But I don't think they will.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Imagine the ICC - Look Chris, we understand you've been through a fair bit, but really those commetns were uncalled for.

You're sacked.

Surely not even the ICC could...........

Yeah they could. But I don't think they will.
They'll need to find all new umpires and refs if they do...

jeevan

International 12th Man
Just heard Javed Miandad has called for the ICC to ban Chris Broad for life because of Broad's comments about the security.

Now if this is true, and I'm not saying it is, well congrats Javed - run off and join Gavaskar in the holier-than-thou-how-dare-you-criticise-us corner. ****ing appalling on his part. After all this, what really counts is someone has made comments criticising the security.

Also very ironic considering that the criminal part of Miandad's family is one of the most important conduits of financing for these terrorist organizations, Al Qaeda and down.

Gavaskar can be a loose cannon with the mouth for sure. But he has nothing on Miandad's family when it comes to being the scum of the earth.

jeevan

International 12th Man
I agree with this, its poor form to accuse all the policemen involved in this incidents as cowards, some of them might have ran away, to save themselves when this shooting started, because lets be honest, with their skill level and artillery provided to them, they were never going to be a match for the terrorists, who were armed with AK-47's, rocket-launchers and grenades.

The thing is they should never have been there in the first place, special ops commandos should have been there as security to the team, but on the contrary just to have local police as the security for the both the teams and officials, and that too when the situation in Pakistan is as bad as it is, just shows how serious PCB are about player security and their safety.

IMO, people like Murali and Broad too should think twice before criticising the police officers here, I know they would be badly shaken up after this incident, but they shouldn't forget, that its because of the bravery of the local policemen, that all of them are still alive, the blame solely lies with the PCB, had they had better security plans and people at work, then maybe a situation like this could have been avoided all together.
Lahore SP on record that 24 "Elite Force" police officers were on hand (and they appear to have been split between accompanying the SL and Pakistan convoys).
So either:
- Lahore police officials are lying
- Or Elite Force is just an empty name (though Musharraf has also referred to them as police commandoes)
- Or the personnel were less than competent (which is also something some Pakistani officials seem to be alluding to)
- Or some combination of all of the above.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
You continue to make it sound like as if I am defending the security! How can I emphasize to you that I think the security provided to the team was UTTER CRAP? What I am pointing out is that 6 Pakistani policeman died. So to accuse all of them of abandoning and running away like cowards is unfair. Let me ask you a question. If, like you apparently believe, the terrorist encountered NO RESISTANCE at all, then why was no one killed? I mean if every policeman ran away, the terrorist could've simply walked into the van and killed them all right? I am amazed that I am even having this debate with you after proclaiming that I feel embrassed and disgusted by the level of security provided to the team and officials. As I'm sure you'll again ignore the context of my post, let me end by once again saying THE SECURITY PROVIDED SUCKED and the PCB/Gorvernment of Pakistan needs to be held responsible for their failures.

I am not missing the context, I know very well what you said on security, I was merely questioning your Disagreement with Broad and your day dreaming about some sort of fierce fire fighting between terrorists and police.

As for Broad's statement - You are the one who is missing the context and taking his comments literally, he was questioning the Presidential Security that was promised to them and looking at the video afterwards it kind of proves that. Now we can all make assumptions and all that but the fact will remain that he was the one in the middle with colleagues shot all over and he has all the right to feel angry.

Anyways, You can think whatever you want and continue to live in the Lala Land of imagination and fairy tales, I couldn't care less about your opinion and/or stance, I dont expect anything.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
What I am pointing out is that 6 Pakistani policeman died. So to accuse all of them of abandoning and running away like cowards is unfair. Let me ask you a question. If, like you apparently believe, the terrorist encountered NO RESISTANCE at all, then why was no one killed? I mean if every policeman ran away, the terrorist could've simply walked into the van and killed them all right?
Go Look at the video provided by xuhaib and decide for yourself. No need to answer me or debate with me.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member

Please leave Gavaskar out of this. There simply is no Comparison between him and Miandad.

Here are some of the moronic statements coming out of Pakistan Cricket Board :-

Miandad - "The ICC must ban Broad from standing in any matches. He has intentionally tried to damage the image of Pakistan and isolate it as a cricket nation,He is twisting things. He is trying to scare away teams from playing in Pakistan,"

Tauqir Zia :- "Broad should not be welcomed in Pakistan anymore for any assignment"

Ramiz Raja, " If Broad had reservations about the security arrangements he should have conveyed them to the ICC instead of going public. His comments are unfortunate and have hurt Pakistan cricket,"

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Murali didn't really say the same thing though. What's more, The Press may have misrepresented what Broad said and not what Murali did.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Security shameful

Muralitharan, in an interview with The Age, said the security arrangement in Lahore, was the worst he had seen, and vastly inferior to that provided in Sri Lanka, where specially trained guards travel with the team in a nation that is frequently the target of terror attacks.

"The security was not good enough and we were sitting ducks because of that," he said.

"The security people we had didn't even seem to fight back. Were they professionals with enough training? They didn't seem to know what to do. I was surprised the terrorists were able to just reload the magazines and keep firing, and they never got caught. It was shameful."
I'm not sure it's really that different.