• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shocka!

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Im still spewin!! I played cricket today, opened as always (right arm batter) and i was cruising along... moved to 31 with 2 cracking pull shots (if i do say so myself :D ), off a left arm over-the-wicket bowler, into the fence... so i was feeling pretty good, then the next ball pitched dead set, a foot outside leg, and because i was a bit ****y i tried to pull him again (tad too full for that caper)... i lifted my front leg to try and dispatch him, the ball struck above my knee roll, then there was (what can be best described as) a half-hearted shout... the keeper didnt go up but the umpire raised his finger... still spewin!!... On the way out the keeper said "unlucky mate, you werent out".... lol which didnt help my mood much!!

Anyway, this incident has provoked me to make a thread regarding bad decisions (exclusive incidents only) youve witnessed or have been on the wrong/right end of!.... i look forward to some good stories! :D

amokk1

U19 12th Man
Yo Bro man, you better not say anything about the umpires man..or the ICC will be all over you. THey don't like people saying bad things about them

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
benchmark00 said:
Im still spewin!! I played cricket today, opened as always (right arm batter) and i was cruising along... moved to 31 with 2 cracking pull shots (if i do say so myself :D ), off a left arm over-the-wicket bowler, into the fence... so i was feeling pretty good, then the next ball pitched dead set, a foot outside leg, and because i was a bit ****y i tried to pull him again (tad too full for that caper)... i lifted my front leg to try and dispatch him, the ball struck above my knee roll, then there was (what can be best described as) a half-hearted shout... the keeper didnt go up but the umpire raised his finger... still spewin!!... On the way out the keeper said "unlucky mate, you werent out".... lol which didnt help my mood much!!

Anyway, this incident has provoked me to make a thread regarding bad decisions (exclusive incidents only) youve witnessed or have been on the wrong/right end of!.... i look forward to some good stories! :D
Hmm... you always get your share of "not out, got a big stride" rubbish, especially when you're a right-arm bowler swinging it back to left-handers... apparently plenty of Umpires don't give a damn that it was missing off, missing leg and hitting middle 2\3 of the way up... nor that it pitched in line and struck in line... really ****es me off sometimes, but there you go... everyone gets their share of Long-Hops that get hammered to fielders, I suppose.

Swervy

International Captain
i have had 3 baduns go against me that I can remember...2 last year and one when I was 10 or 11.

In the league I play for there is this umpire..god he is a bad one.Second game of the season..nice brand new bat,I faced about 4 balls , left two alone, played and missed two, so I hadnt actually hit the ball...5th ball,I go to drive it through mid on area, ball hits about 2 inches from the bottom of my bat and about an inch from the inside edge..cannons into my foot....cheating git of a bowler appeals (I normally smash this team around the park, so i guess he thought any way to get me out was a good way)..umpire raises his finger. The ball had left a massive cherry on my bat as well..I was fuming.

A few weeks later,same umpire standing in....now I know the guy is trigger happy, so I took guard on leg stump,a good two feet out of my crease...I had made about 20, i got a bit ****y and I danced/walked down the wicket to a medium pacer,he bowls it a bit slower and swings it in..and it beats me (through the shot way to early),and hits me above my pad on my right leg...the bowler appeals,and I am so far down the track I actually had to run back to my crease (a good 6 yards I reckon)..same umpire raises his finger.
I made sure the ump could here me ranting as I took my pads off

The one when I was ten(when I played for Westside in Brisbane)..last ball of the over,ball goes through to the keeper and thats that..umpire at the bowlers end shouts to me that there is something on the pitch..I couldnt hear him so I walked down the pitch just to hear him...the ball which had been passed from the keeper to gully then ended up on my wickets..and the square leg ump gave me out,run out.My god was I ****ed off..actually I was in tears.

Cheating gits :D

Chubb

International Regular
I've made a few hideously bad and/or biased decisions whilst an umpire. I don't mean to do it, but somehow half the time i can't resist the appeal, particularly in Essex. Once a guy, who wasn't all that good (this was fifth team cricket) and was really just a slogger, got to 40 and then he moved back to cut an offbreak, which broke back into him and hit him bang in front, mind, but on the knee roll and I gave it. He was really ****ed off with me. There was a half-hearted appeal but I just triggered and gave him out (even though I wasn't sure). It did pitch outside off and maybe he didn't know the rule about that but his reaction put me off for good. I also in that same year called a wide about two inches outside my grandfather's off stump when our team needed four runs with one wicket left which I'll admit was totally biased and wrong of me. I'm hopelessly inconsistent with wides.That was three years ago now and I hate doing it even for ten overs in friendlies. I was always a much better scorer anyway. But I feel that if the captain asks you to do it, you ought to accept and just hope it goes all right. I find it much worse than waiting to bat, and I'm a nervous wreck when I'm next in. I hate umpiring!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I've done plenty umpiring last couple of summers and I expect to do more this summer. I have a tendency to trigger LBWs (five LBWs out of 11 to fall in a Devon league game) and not give as many caught behinds as I should do. Don't think I've really sawn someone off chronically though.

I've also a tendency to be pretty fascist on leg-side wides.

Langeveldt

Soutie
If in doubt have a shout..

You have to appeal for all kinds of stuff these days, its the umpires job to make the decision and they may end up making a shocker against you before long, so make the most of the luck

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Worst umpiring decision I've ever seen came in a Grimsby & District U15 league match, Grimoldby v Caistor - Grimoldby bowler bowls, it pitches and spins in to the right handed batsman who sweeps it to square leg for no run.

The umpire then calls a wide.

twctopcat

International Regular
Neil Pickup said:
Worst umpiring decision I've ever seen came in a Grimsby & District U15 league match, Grimoldby v Caistor - Grimoldby bowler bowls, it pitches and spins in to the right handed batsman who sweeps it to square leg for no run.

The umpire then calls a wide.
Admit it neil, you were that umpire. :p

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
last year; i just got out by trying to hit to hard and got caught at the boundry, next guy walks in, blocks the ball i could hear the nick while i was underway to the dressingroom,and also saw it.great appeal from the bowler...given and guess what the umpire was the father of the bowler, this bowler went one and got 6 wickets which 2 were...dubious.
also last year i was 4th bowler and we were playing the leading side, i came into ball in my 1st ball was blocked, 2nd ball hit him full on the legguard and between mid and off i gave a loud shout keeper to, not out..next ball was stopped again, 3rd ball bowled the ball..plum plum as it can be, you dont see them any plummer. umpire again not out...next 2 balls were dots and my last ball again whop another shout..nope not out..i was so annoyed, this guy went on and ended after 40 overs on 150* i was so mad...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The worst one I ever got was when I was appearing as a ringer for Cambridge Fluid Systems (who my mate used to work for) v their counterparts in Harlow.

I'm pretty modest with the bat, but the standard wasn't too high so I went in first down & got to 24 in no time at all. An old West Indian guy then came on to bowl; he must've been about 50 but was still a decent pace (for this level). He pitched one short of a length which reared up at me, thudded into my upper right arm & carried thru to the keeper. Keeper goes up & the ump (who was the sales manager for Harlow) gives it! I avoided any blatant display of dissent (as I was a ringer) but felt righteously peed off as I trudged off.

After the game I made a point of showing the ump my bruise in the clubhouse. :@

Blaze

Banned
In my first ever game of rep cricket for welington.. under 13's I think it was, I opened the batting and third ball I played a half hearted drive into the ground and the ball bounced up into the hands of a man in a shortish mid on position.

Haha given out caught when I blatently hit the ball into the ground. It really annoyed me to the point where I still remember it so cleary even though it was about seven years ago.

tassietiger

U19 Debutant
Opened the batting once, had got my eye in, just hit a four that went well past the rope, and then i got runout even though the keeper had dropped the ball.

_Ed_

I open the bowling and in one game I had a guy caught at slip first ball of the innings but the umpire (who just happened to be the coach of the other team) said the ball didn't carry. I wasn't pleased with that. The guy went on to make 60-odd.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
haha i have had plenty of bad decisions before, the worst was probably 3 years ago, i opened and was solid, the pitch (synthetic) was shocker, skidding on sometimes bouncing normally others, the bowler dropped one short and i went for the straight pull shot (was outside off stump) anyway this ball skidded on and i missed it by a good 30cm, it flicked my pad and i was given out caught behind...

This season i got annoyed after getting given out caught behind after hitting the pitch with my bat, wasn't too happy bout that one either.

Simon

ive had a couple of terrible ones, hit the ball to cover once and was given out caught off a bump ball, only the fielder appealed...

was given out lbw once despite edging it through the slips, very poor decision as i was playing away from my body...

they even up though, cause a few weeks ago i was given not out caught behing when i clearly edged it and 2 balls later played the ball onto my stumps and the bails didnt fall off. next ball after that played the french cut for 4... i got out soon after....

bryce

International Regular
i've been given out twice before caught behind when the ball hit my pad(both times i was in the 20's) but i don't tend to get too hacked off with any of the umpiring decisions because they are all volunteers and i have to do the job myself

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
the hattrick that bracken i think it was got against SA in the ing cup match in canberra this season....the third one was given out lbw when it hit the poor batsman on the full well outside his off-stump....one of the worst decisions i've seen all season!! talk about an umpire getting caught up in the moment :O