• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Warne dead at 52

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I think he's wrong but I don't really have a problem with him saying it now given he was asked directly. If he went out of his way to bring it up then it'd be a bit insensitive, but that's not what happened.
Whether he was right or wrong with regards to Murali is debatable (though the part about the Indian spinners was bull**** just to pile it on), there was better ways (and times) to say it.

I'm not saying lie and say he was the greatest out if pity, but simply say, he up there among the very best who has played and he will be missed..simple..

But going by the considerably worst things he's said about west Indian crowds, don't know why anyone is shocked by anything the **** says. He shouldn't even have a platform to spew his ignorance and hatred.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
That's fair. I more found it amusing how much his thoughts echo some of our posters here. Bringing up his one fivefer in India only to dismiss with "Zaheer Khan was slogging" is so CW like lol
That's childish and deliberately acting like a dick , he just wanted a chance to tear him down and he went for it.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Sunil Gavaskar going full CW in his appraisal of Warne

As PEWS said, he only answered what he was asked. An opinion.

However, I'd say it's dead wrong and probably at worst is intentionally pro-Asian bull****, given Murali averaged 45 in India too, 75 in Australia and feasted on Bangladesh in particular. Plus the Zaheer Khan stuff is just dead****, like any 5-for is not relevant because one guy slogged. And god knows who these Indian spinners are he's talking about.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
As PEWS said, he only answered what he was asked. An opinion.

However, I'd say it's dead wrong and probably at worst is intentionally pro-Asian bull****, given Murali averaged 45 in India too, 75 in Australia and feasted on Bangladesh in particular. Plus the Zaheer Khan stuff is just dead****, like any 5-for is not relevant because one guy slogged. And god knows who these Indian spinners are he's talking about.
Yeah his opinion is really ****ing stupid, but he didn't go out of his way to say it - he was actually praising him before he was asked that very specific question.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I hope the higher ups at a Fox cricket are looking after Isa Guha because she is understandably very fragile rn. Barely holding it together. She plainly loved the bloke.
MWaugh is stoic as ****.

Seems like him and Warne were pretty tight and great mates.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah his opinion is really ****ing stupid, but he didn't go out of his way to say it - he was actually praising him before he was asked that very specific question.
Yeah sure but as someone said earlier in the thread he could have just said ‘he was certainly up there’ and left it at that

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
MWaugh is stoic as ****.

Seems like him and Warne were pretty tight and great mates.
Yeah I underestimated Mark.

I always thought he was a bland guy who said the same type of stuff every time.

But he seems to live by a pretty cool philosophy that makes him very tough at these times.

Like Warnie, he's consistent with who is is. Always the same guy. Admirable.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-07/shane-warne-body-incident-thailand/100887050

I don't care if this woman is a friend, a lover or just a fan/admirer - I think the media jumping all over this minor incident is reprehensible and in extremely poor taste. She payed her respects by laying flowers and contemplating the loss of a larger than life individual. The ambulance driver possibly erred in allowing her in but he was showing compassion. How about the media showing compassion and respect instead of making headlines out of someone's token gesture.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think he's wrong but I don't really have a problem with him saying it now given he was asked directly. If he went out of his way to bring it up then it'd be a bit insensitive, but that's not what happened.
yeah I don't personally have a problem with his honest opinion given he's not going out of his way to get a mic to say it

he's dead wrong of course
Nah... Gavaskar especially since about 2018 has totally lost whatever levels of compassion he did seem to possess. I mean, its one thing to say this even a month from now in some discussion but to say it just when a person has passed is just stupid and tasteless. Just say that he is right up there amongst the best spinners in test cricket and leave it there. Heck, even say he will be top 5 or anything else.

Reactions: Gob

quincywagstaff

International Debutant

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Pretty sure after David Hookes' death something similar happened where Gavaskar made some comments about the incident that led to his death that were considered in poor taste.
TBF, that was more of a throwaway line but here it seems he went on and on and kinda doubled down on it a bit. Plus, I remember before the 1999 WC semis against RSA, he was basically saying Shane Warne would be the man of the match when Tony Greig said he felt Shaun Pollock wud be the man of the match (Warney was, for his 4fer but Polly got a 5fer himself) . He got along pretty well with Warne in the 90s and even in the noughties. This seems a very post 2016/17 Gavaskar than anything else to me.

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
Nah... Gavaskar especially since about 2018 has totally lost whatever levels of compassion he did seem to possess. I mean, its one thing to say this even a month from now in some discussion but to say it just when a person has passed is just stupid and tasteless. Just say that he is right up there amongst the best spinners in test cricket and leave it there. Heck, even say he will be top 5 or anything else.
It would be the equivalent of if the day after (heaven forbid) Sachin dies some Aussie/English great says "he never got a hundred at Lords...Lara, Ponting and Kallis were better"

Totally idiotic.