• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Warne dead at 52

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I remember Atherton on commentary talking to him about his variations, the slider, the drifter, the zooter. Warne replies ‘yeah I had about twelve names for the one that went straight on’.

Also talked about trying to make ‘Ian Bell can’t pick the straight one’ a thing in the build up to 05. Then in the first test he ripped one as hard as he could to Bell, and it did nothing and got him out lbw leaving. AFAIK he only revealed after retirement that he’d been trying to turn it, just let it stay in Bell’s head for the rest of his career.
Yeah Warney was god, but god loved Warney.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Some times you don't realize how awesome someone was, until he is gone. Reality is sinking now.

RIP Shane ! It was a privilege to follow your career.

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
I remember Atherton on commentary talking to him about his variations, the slider, the drifter, the zooter. Warne replies ‘yeah I had about twelve names for the one that went straight on’.

Also talked about trying to make ‘Ian Bell can’t pick the straight one’ a thing in the build up to 05. Then in the first test he ripped one as hard as he could to Bell, and it did nothing and got him out lbw leaving. AFAIK he only revealed after retirement that he’d been trying to turn it, just let it stay in Bell’s head for the rest of his career.
A pure sorcerer, magician and seducer. Seduced the batsman into giving his confidence and wicket away.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Yeah that was the same spell of commentary I was talking about on Friday. Amazing stuff

slippy888

International Captain
I think we are going to need more cricket threads now cause Warnie always said he wanted cricket in the public eye and surely it will bring more internet traffic to forum and cricket as a whole

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Haha I was going to say he basically had 3 deliveries in his armour for the last few years of his career; the leg break, the massive leg break and the one that went straight on; which he had about 12 names for.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Still in denial really. Warne's no more refuses to compute. I can hear him chuckling and saying "very good, mate" in my head. I was also hoping the flat golf cap he'd taken to wearing of late would become a permanent fixture because it was so damned obnoxious and yet at one with his dgaf personality.

Also rich to see so many here suddenly shedding tears over his "eccentricities" when they couldn't stand him while he was alive. Like **** you lol, he would've pissed on your faces if he'd known you. ****ing crocodiles, thoo.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
yeah I don't personally have a problem with his honest opinion given he's not going out of his way to get a mic to say it

he's dead wrong of course

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I think he's wrong but I don't really have a problem with him saying it now given he was asked directly. If he went out of his way to bring it up then it'd be a bit insensitive, but that's not what happened.
Yeah it was more stupid of the interviewer to ask that comparison question in this time of mourning.

Gavaskar also says in this interview that the king size life that Warne lived probably led to the heart issues. There may be truth in it but need not have said that too.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think he's wrong but I don't really have a problem with him saying it now given he was asked directly. If he went out of his way to bring it up then it'd be a bit insensitive, but that's not what happened.
That's fair. I more found it amusing how much his thoughts echo some of our posters here. Bringing up his one fivefer in India only to dismiss with "Zaheer Khan was slogging" is so CW like lol

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm just grateful he didn't bung on a West Indian accent in the interview for a change.

He's just a turd, Gavaskar. Terrific player, but a monumental arsehole.